Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

15% off Canon refurbs

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,588 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 26, 2017 14:33 |  #16

Yeah, I'm stoked. Now gotta put my 6D on the market. Or I might just give it to my son

I was looking at the lens prices too. There are some awesome deals there. The 100-400 II price you got was great. Noticed the 16-36 F4 for something ridiculous too. Almost $100 less than what I paid for a few months ago.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,885 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 26, 2017 14:50 |  #17

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18481746 (external link)
Yeah, I'm stoked. Now gotta put my 6D on the market. Or I might just give it to my son

Hi, Dad! ;-)a

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

ma11rats
993 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 28, 2017 01:09 |  #18

On their rules of this sale it shows that the 5d4 is actually excluded.

Save an Additional 15% Instantly - Offer valid October 26, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. ET through October 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET, or while supplies last, whichever is earlier. Offer excludes Refurbished Pro Camcorder, Refurbished imageCLASS Laser Copiers & Printers, Refurbished Scanners, Refurbished Powershot G7X Mark II camera and Refurbished EOS 5D Mark IV camera.

Scrumhalf........I'm curious to know if anyone has been been denied.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,588 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 28, 2017 01:16 as a reply to  @ ma11rats's post |  #19

There's at least one guy on FM that said he got a tracking number. He placed his order right at the beginning of the sale, so maybe it was before Canon wised up.

I placed my order around noon Thursday. My order still says "Inventory fulfilled" and hasn't been cancelled, so I'm clinging to the hope that I'll get a tracking number soon.

Sam
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

cigargreg
266 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by cigargreg.

Oct 28, 2017 01:17 as a reply to  @ Scrumhalf's post |  #20

My lens shipped today.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)

ma11rats
993 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 28, 2017 01:43 |  #21

There's several things on this sale I'd love to get. But there's no extra money. The 1Dx2 is currently in stock and just over $4k with this sale.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,588 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 28, 2017 02:46 |  #22

Whoa! Got my shipment notice and tracking number for my 5D4! Looks like I may have just snuck in before they shut the door.

Thanks to no OR sales tax, I paid a grand total of $2379.32. not bad!

Sam
Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 28, 2017 03:55 |  #23

ma11rats wrote in post #18482902 (external link)

Save an Additional 15% Instantly - Offer valid October 26, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. ET through October 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET, or while supplies last, whichever is earlier. Offer excludes Refurbished Pro Camcorder, Refurbished imageCLASS Laser Copiers & Printers, Refurbished Scanners, Refurbished Powershot G7X Mark II camera and Refurbished EOS 5D Mark IV camera.

That was changed later, even Canon price watch had it in their list with a direct link, and it was active for several hours before the took it down. Nobody has had their order canceled from what I have seen across the boards, it is a refurb, so they probably had many cleared out, then they changed the terms.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sjnovakovich
227 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by sjnovakovich.

Oct 28, 2017 06:56 |  #24

The 15% off deal seems like a pretty good one, but in my opinion, the refurb prices really aren't all that great. I would expect prices on refurb products to generally be what they come out to after the 15% discount.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 28, 2017 07:33 |  #25

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18483001 (external link)
The 15% off deal seems like a pretty good one, but in my opinion, the refurb prices really aren't all that great. I would expect prices on refurb products to generally be what they come out to after the 15% discount.

You're entitled to expect whatever you want, but that expectation is unrealistic. A refurb is usually like buying a lightly used mint condition camera/lens on the used market, but with the addition of having been serviced and coming with a warranty. It should be expected that they fall between new and used prices, which they typically do.

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 28, 2017 12:06 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18482950 (external link)
That was changed later, even Canon price watch had it in their list with a direct link, and it was active for several hours before the took it down. Nobody has had their order canceled from what I have seen across the boards, it is a refurb, so they probably had many cleared out, then they changed the terms.

That is correct. When the sale started at midnight, the rebate rules did NOT exclude the EOS 5D Mark IV. They changed the rules at about 2 PM (14 hours later) to exclude the EOS 5D Mark IV. They also changed the wording on their site and banners from "Take 15% off refurbished products" to "Take 15% off select refurbished products".

The Canon Direct Store doesn't seem to ever cancel orders (even after a price mistake). One proof point is the "stacking" sale where they accidentally allowed you to use 15%-off, 10%-off, and 5%-off coupons simultaneously for a 27%-off discount. That was open for about 3 hours before they took it down, and by then the entire store had been picked clean. They shipped everything.

I can say that many, many, readers (probably those signed up for e-mail notifications on either price drops or blog posts) took advantage of the 5D Mark IV deal... it was incredible. I'm still getting about 2-3 e-mails an hour from people asking how to take advantage of it now. Sorry, you missed out. :(

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,872 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by gjl711.

Oct 28, 2017 13:18 |  #27

Yup, I tried it for the 5DIV and it offers a discount of $0.00

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,872 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by gjl711.

Oct 28, 2017 13:26 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18481613 (external link)
A 5D4 with a 1 year warranty for around $2380 or so... great deal, even with sales tax. This should get a few people that were on the fence for upgrading to actually do it.

I was on the fence and even at $2799 their normal referb price is sort of high for the body, but at $2379 it was worth it. I used the code but got offered a $0.00 discount. :( I waited too long.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,885 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 28, 2017 18:01 |  #29

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18483001 (external link)

Because I live in a place that has high sales tax (9.5%), buying a Canon refurb doesn't save me a whole lot.

For example, I priced a refurb Canon 80D using the discount code. Then I priced a new 80D on BHP that doesn't charge sales tax. BHP also includes a Sandisk 32GB card and extra battery (non-Canon brand), and a camera case (which I have no interest in). Then BHP offers a 4% rewards which means 4% of the camera cost is applied to store credit on a future purchase.

After crunching the numbers I only save around $200 buying a refurb. And I don't get that new camera smell. ;-)a

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 28, 2017 22:44 |  #30

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18483423 (external link)
Because I live in a place that has high sales tax (9.5%), buying a Canon refurb doesn't save me a whole lot.

For example, I priced a refurb Canon 80D using the discount code. Then I priced a new 80D on BHP that doesn't charge sales tax. BHP also includes a Sandisk 32GB card and extra battery (non-Canon brand), and a camera case (which I have no interest in). Then BHP offers a 4% rewards which means 4% of the camera cost is applied to store credit on a future purchase.

After crunching the numbers I only save around $200 buying a refurb. And I don't get that new camera smell. ;-)a

You might actually get that smell, several over the years for me were basically brand-new with 100-200 clicks. They smelled new to me. $200 is $200, it can be used toward a lens. In cases where you get a new camera, there is no reason to not get a refurb, even at $200. If you don't get a new camera, just return it for money back, no questions asked.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

4,672 views & 29 likes for this thread
15% off Canon refurbs
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.