Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Oct 27, 2017 09:43 |  #5071

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18481756 (external link)
Happy to join the 5D4 owners club!! Just ordered a refurb as part of the Halloween sale! $2379 is not bad!

What is the latest in terms of cards for this camera? Any good deals or particular models/speed I should go for?

Thanks!

Patience is a virtue,. paid about that much for my 5D3 refurb as I was willing to wait. Somehow the 5D4 I just couldn't wait for, and I paid full retail. first time for everything!

As for cards, no idea on the latest, I have been using mostly 32GB Sandisk Ultra.

I understand that the right (ie: the very fastest) SD card is required for 4K to SD. But it's only with 4K to SD that this is required.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
davidmtml
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 27, 2017 11:40 |  #5072

I shoot weddings primarily, and run around all day with a 5D III in one hand and the IV in the other. There's a lot of things I love about my 5D IV, but I repeatedly find myself reaching for the III as my "primary" camera throughout the day. I just get sharper shots from the III with both my 70-200 and my 135L. Not sure if I just need to MFA or what...but it's frustrating as I really want to use it throughout the day because of much better noise/banding performance in the shadows at low ISO.

With working full time + shooting weddings and other sessions + a 6-month old I just haven't had time to investigate....this winter shoudl provide me a little time once I'm done editing!

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 27, 2017 12:04 |  #5073

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18482226 (external link)
Patience is a virtue,. paid about that much for my 5D3 refurb as I was willing to wait. Somehow the 5D4 I just couldn't wait for, and I paid full retail. first time for everything!

As for cards, no idea on the latest, I have been using mostly 32GB Sandisk Ultra.

I understand that the right (ie: the very fastest) SD card is required for 4K to SD. But it's only with 4K to SD that this is required.

Thanks, Jake! I don't really shoot much video, so I'm just going to use some of the existing cards I have for my 6D and see if a good deal pops up for a fast card around T'Giving or the holiday season.

I still need to received the camera though. The refurb store removed the 5D4 from the 15% off sale pretty quickly, so I won't celebrate until I have a tracking number from them!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

ma11rats
895 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 27, 2017 12:52 |  #5074

davidmtml wrote in post #18482325 (external link)
I shoot weddings primarily, and run around all day with a 5D III in one hand and the IV in the other. There's a lot of things I love about my 5D IV, but I repeatedly find myself reaching for the III as my "primary" camera throughout the day. I just get sharper shots from the III with both my 70-200 and my 135L. Not sure if I just need to MFA or what...but it's frustrating as I really want to use it throughout the day because of much better noise/banding performance in the shadows at low ISO.

With working full time + shooting weddings and other sessions + a 6-month old I just haven't had time to investigate....this winter shoudl provide me a little time once I'm done editing!

I'm curious if you're having less sharp shots because you're not compensating your SS for having 40% more MP. I know that when I picked up the 7d2, I could not shoot the 135L under 1/200 and get consistently sharp images. Seriously, like a really bad hit rate. Once I doubled it they were sharp. So when I took the 5d4 out of eval loan through CPS for an August wedding, I had the 135L on it for formals and was using it at or above 1/500. All super sharp and the detail w/ 30MP is awesome.

So I think maybe raising your SS higher to keep the subject from moving across the pixels might a be something you can experiment with and then when your work load slows, like you mentioned, you could run MFA tests. Even with IS lenses, I think a moving subject at slower SS will result in more blurring on the mk4 over the mk3. That's what I noticed anyways.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 27, 2017 13:55 |  #5075

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18482357 (external link)
Thanks, Jake! I don't really shoot much video, so I'm just going to use some of the existing cards I have for my 6D and see if a good deal pops up for a fast card around T'Giving or the holiday season.

I still need to received the camera though. The refurb store removed the 5D4 from the 15% off sale pretty quickly, so I won't celebrate until I have a tracking number from them!

I seem to recall that they take there time (by todays standards) both on the notification, AND the shipping.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 27, 2017 13:57 |  #5076

davidmtml wrote in post #18482325 (external link)

I'd certainly look at MFA. Mine I have not done, so far so good, but it would not be normal to go from 5D3 to 5D4 and get worse results. Maybe a single global adjustment will help.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 29, 2017 11:34 |  #5077

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18482226 (external link)

Ya crazy how just waiting one year could of saved us 1,000 bucks. However like you the 5D4 is just something I could not wait for. Had to have it new and then. Not sure why but I did it and it's done and I will continue to own said camera for the near future... about 4+ more years.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

artsf
372 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by artsf.

Oct 29, 2017 12:12 |  #5078

Talley wrote in post #18483877 (external link)
Ya crazy how just waiting one year could of saved us 1,000 bucks. However like you the 5D4 is just something I could not wait for. Had to have it new and then. Not sure why but I did it and it's done and I will continue to own said camera for the near future... about 4+ more years.

the good thing about 5d series is that they are only released once in 4 years so we won’t crave another one for a while. 5div is the first camera that does everything I need at the desired quality: stills, video, action, perfect colors, etc. Sure it will be nice to have articulating screen and FF 4k readout but I would need much more to even consider upgrading. What I don’t understand is why Canon did not include eye detect for DPAF? Face detect is rock solid so it seems eye detect at least at closer distance (where it actually matters) should be easy to add via firmware? Any chances of firmware upgrade including eye detect?

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 29, 2017 12:54 |  #5079

artsf wrote in post #18483901 (external link)
the good thing about 5d series is that they are only released once in 4 years so we won’t crave another one for a while. 5div is the first camera that does everything I need at the desired quality: stills, video, action, perfect colors, etc. Sure it will be nice to have articulating screen and FF 4k readout but I would need much more to even consider upgrading. What I don’t understand is why Canon did not include eye detect for DPAF? Face detect is rock solid so it seems eye detect at least at closer distance (where it actually matters) should be easy to add via firmware? Any chances of firmware upgrade including eye detect?

I don't feel like I need eye detect. Who is to say that their face detect doesn't focus on the eyes anyway it's just not advertised. Everytime I use dpaf and face detect the eyes are always in focus.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

artsf
372 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Oct 29, 2017 13:08 |  #5080

Talley wrote in post #18483931 (external link)
I don't feel like I need eye detect. Who is to say that their face detect doesn't focus on the eyes anyway it's just not advertised. Everytime I use dpaf and face detect the eyes are always in focus.

I found the same to be true in most cases but not all, and no control over which eye. It doesn’t always focus on the nearest eye. Also, I wish I could program a button to toggle face detect. The issue is that face detect affects metering too much and sometimes I wish to quickly pause it.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 29, 2017 13:50 |  #5081

All right, 5D4 veterans, I got a tracking number for my 5D4!! Will be in my grubby hands next Friday! Now, I need a crash course on everything about the camera, especially the exposure and focus settings. I'm coming from a 7D2. Is it very different? Any good tutorials or videos to watch while I wait for the camera? I might download the manual, but I've never found reading the manual from cover to cover a very efficient way to learn about the camera.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,663 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 29, 2017 14:28 |  #5082

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18483984 (external link)
All right, 5D4 veterans, I got a tracking number for my 5D4!! Will be in my grubby hands next Friday! Now, I need a crash course on everything about the camera, especially the exposure and focus settings. I'm coming from a 7D2. Is it very different? Any good tutorials or videos to watch while I wait for the camera? I might download the manual, but I've never found reading the manual from cover to cover a very efficient way to learn about the camera.

Congratulations!

Coming from a 7D2 myself, I found switching to the 5D4 very easy, the two cameras are very similar in this respect. And I found that the best training resource is YouTube, there are a lot of clips on various aspects of the camera.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

graham121
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 30, 2017 02:46 |  #5083

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18483984 (external link)

Same, same and better!!

Seriously, all the customisation of the 7d2 and more!

Range of custom settings and options for buttons expanded.

Focus settings and cases the same or better, ie some settings have more granularity.

Exposure... I have found less need to expose to the right, so lower ISO and/or higher shutter speed.

And exposures and shadows that can be raised without turning to mush.

Somewhere here on POTN have been a number of posts on how to set up various buttons to suit different needs.

Hope that gives you an idea.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2017 02:48 |  #5084

Thanks! Can't wait for it to arrive!

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 30, 2017 08:28 |  #5085

I posted this a while ago.

1. I get all 61 AF points with my 100-400 II and 1.4 III. I love to use all the AF configs and Case numbers when I shoot and I not yet convinced Cases 5 and 6 do much for me unless I am using one of the zone AF modes. I'll be using that combo a lot more now.

2. The focus is very snappy even with the TC. When I was testing on the birds on the shots I was taking I was impressed.

3. A few case number parameters have more steps for fine tuning. Identical to the 1DX II.

4. The 5D4 has a separate AF area selection button just beside the multi-controller button. The 7D2 had it as part of the multi-controller button. If Canon had offered it as a retro for my 5D3 I would have paid to have it installed. I paid to have Canon install a locking mode dial retro on my 7D.

5. I did not really consider it but the touch screen is pretty amazing. I can whip through the menus. I barely use the green my menu's now. When I pick up my 7D2 I find myself tapping the screen.

6. When you press the Q button you get the Q screen. Press info and a second Q screen comes up that shows all the AF points, ISO, etc and you can program more things you want to see when you open that screen.

7. I have been shooting at 32,000 ISO and getting good results.

8. The 5D4 offers the Detail Set similar to the 7D2 when you are programming the AF-ON and * buttons. You can get a few more things like a specific case number, AF mode, switch to High Speed Continuous to auto engage.

So all around it has everything my 7D2 has that I wish my 5D3 had, more megapixels, better high ISO, better AF than both 5D3 and 7D2 and it is FF.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

746,767 views & 2,663 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.