Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto.

Oct 31, 2017 14:58 |  #5101

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18485627 (external link)
I'm sorry but this thread is hundreds of pages long with very few problems listed, and this is the internet where problems are always bigger than the rest of all experiences. And yet, so few in this thread. So I'm confused how this suddenly translates too "so frequently"

Got to agree. There may (or may not) have been an issue with some of the first units manufactured. Mine sits in the serial number range that was highlighted somewhere or other as being 'at risk'. Hey, it seems to be just fine.

When it comes down to it, there doesn't seem to be much of a history of 5Div problems.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,438 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 31, 2017 18:25 |  #5102

DaviSto wrote in post #18485633 (external link)
Got to agree. There may (or may not) have been an issue with some of the first units manufactured. Mine sits in the serial number range that was highlighted somewhere or other as being 'at risk'. Hey, it seems to be just fine.

When it comes down to it, there doesn't seem to be much of a history of 5Div problems.

I only have 3 issues with it:

1- PCB replaced twice under warranty
2- oil (?) spots on sensor that Canon never seems to clean each time it's in service
3- I want a second one :-P

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,438 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 31, 2017 18:27 |  #5103

My serial is 01495 (last 5 digits) I've never seen a serial number at risk highlight though where is that?

flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
VWVortex (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 31, 2017 19:13 |  #5104

I've purchased a 70D, 7D2, and 5D4 all on their initial release dates. Never had any problems with any of them.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Oct 31, 2017 19:19 |  #5105

71sbeetle wrote in post #18485752 (external link)
My serial is 01495 (last 5 digits) I've never seen a serial number at risk highlight though where is that?

There are a couple of threads on DPR's forum that touch on this but I distinctly recall a specific range of serial numbers being quoted and I can't find this on DPR.

To be honest, whatever range was identified was probably based on only a little research and a lot of guesswork ... and DPR and some other forums are very heavily trolled. Anyway, my copy (serial number beginning 02802100) was, allegedly, from one of the early manufacturing batches where 'issues' have arisen. It's not causing me many sleepless nights. ;-)a

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,387 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 31, 2017 20:57 |  #5106

I had myfirst problem recently.

I was 5 hours into shooting a wedding, I took a photo of a couple, went to show them the image on the back. and it just wouldn't come up.

Rebooted the camera and it was all good.

That is literally the only problem I have had.

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,438 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 31, 2017 21:23 |  #5107

What bothers me the most was the fact they said the bracket for the PCB was broken the first time it was out for repair. I baby all my gear, I bought the camera new and never dropped or bumped it so I find it strange it was broken. All in all though, I still love my 5D4 wouldn't trade it for the world

flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
VWVortex (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 31, 2017 21:51 |  #5108

71sbeetle wrote in post #18485857 (external link)
All in all though, I still love my 5D4 wouldn't trade it for the world

Until you try a 1DX2... ;-)a

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,387 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 31, 2017 22:08 |  #5109

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18485872 (external link)

I would love a 1dxII

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 31, 2017 23:20 |  #5110

Perhaps a silly question but I have not seen it mentioned yet though have not gone through every page of every 5D4 discussion. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it works great. The AF is far beyond anything I have enjoyed before. The high ISO performance is blowing me away. One change from my T2i, 60D and 6D is that when in One Shot AF and focus locks, not only does the focus point light up but the perimeter of the whole VF does. It is really only visible in lower light. I think this is normal but want to verify. Normally, with this I will do a lot of AF Servo as it is so good. Probably new owner paranoia!

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,438 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 01, 2017 00:16 |  #5111

I did, and I'm definitely sticking to the 5D4!

TTuna Eye wrote in post #18485910 (external link)
Perhaps a silly question but I have not seen it mentioned yet though have not gone through every page of every 5D4 discussion. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it works great. The AF is far beyond anything I have enjoyed before. The high ISO performance is blowing me away. One change from my T2i, 60D and 6D is that when in One Shot AF and focus locks, not only does the focus point light up but the perimeter of the whole VF does. It is really only visible in lower light. I think this is normal but want to verify. Normally, with this I will do a lot of AF Servo as it is so good. Probably new owner paranoia!

Yes it's normal

flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
VWVortex (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2017 10:06 |  #5112

That would depend on whether high-ISO performance and shooting speed were more important than resolution. 50% more pixels, in a range of pixel densities that don't do justice to lenses, is not necessarily trivial. Of course, Canon wants you to buy all their cameras; that's why no new camera's capabilities are usually all a subset of another's.

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by LJ3Jim.

Nov 01, 2017 10:34 |  #5113

John Sheehy wrote in post #18486149 (external link)
That would depend on whether high-ISO performance and shooting speed were more important than resolution. 50% more pixels, in a range of pixel densities that don't do justice to lenses, is not necessarily trivial. Of course, Canon wants you to buy all their cameras; that's why no new camera's capabilities are usually all a subset of another's.

I have both, and I use and enjoy both of them regularly. But if I had to choose just one..... ;-)a

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2017 10:57 |  #5114

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18486169 (external link)
I have both, and I use and enjoy both of them regularly. But if I had to choose just one..... ;-)a

You might choose the one that another person might not; perhaps the person who really wanted a 5Ds(r) all along, but with less noise. ;)

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,438 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 01, 2017 14:40 |  #5115

I had both and I made my choice, to me the 5D4 was a lot more bang for the buck, the only extras I could use from the 1DX2 was the spot metering linked to focusing point, the high ISO performance was not that noticeable if at all in my case, and the 14fps while it's cool I don't see myself using it much lol. But it all comes down to what you primarily shoot. I shot with the 5D3 and 1DX before, the 5D4 replaced both for me

flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
VWVortex (external link)

sponsored links

751,804 views & 2,663 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.