Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 30, 2017 22:56 |  #166

mdvaden wrote in post #18485153 (external link)
So snail paced ... that Sony is releasing a new camera incorporating technology that Canon already made available?

I view Canon as steady paced, and maybe the most steady paced among many companies.

please elaborate...

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sponsored links
Scoobert
Goldmember
1,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 30, 2017 23:05 |  #167

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18479082 (external link)
Just saw Matt Granger's video with the D850 from Iceland - it seems the buffer, at least without the grip (and not sure this makes sense) is not producing anywhere near what Nikon is claiming - maybe he did something wrong - but he shows multiple tests of the buffer and it is not close to what they are suggesting. No hating here, just saw this and thought I would post it as I am seriously looking at this camera - and wondering if anyone who may have the camera can test it.

https://youtu.be/913B5​jvL5SA (external link)

Check this video out.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=lLDV6r2AlTA (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,863 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 31, 2017 02:26 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #168

Yea, comments from a guy that never seems to use a camera. or at least from the videos that I have watched.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,150 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 31, 2017 07:11 |  #169

Mark0159 wrote in post #18485219 (external link)
Yea, comments from a guy that never seems to use a camera. or at least from the videos that I have watched.

Does not make him less right or change the outcome of the buffer test he does.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Oct 31, 2017 09:36 |  #170

Scoobert wrote in post #18485307 (external link)
Does not make him less right or change the outcome of the buffer test he does.

I watched that vid, and another one or two where he actually mentions the numbers from his own experience - which are still less than Nikon has quoted but much closer (ISO dependent was a big factor). In the Nikon world, the D500 still seems like an excellent choice given the quality of the sensor and the amazing buffer - especially if new D850 owners start dumping that camera.

On a similar but different note, I'm thinking I might buy 20 or so used A7Riis at very distressed prices and flip them in 6 months because there are now 1 million for sale and the price is dropping by the minute for a camera with the same sensor as the A7Riii - and I only ever shoot in single shot anyways.

I went and demoed the D850 - very nice camera but video AF is brutal - the hunt o matic focus system.

My thinking about a D850 with a Tamron 24-70 G2 has ended - most likely an A7Rii is in my future after the insane panic buying period passes - or maybe even an A9 because the used prices have already fallen over $1k.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,247 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2017 12:23 |  #171

Charlie wrote in post #18471798 (external link)
I like canon more than Nikon, but no gear, D850 EASILY. Waiting X amount of years for a Canon to come around, I'de literally turn old. I played the waiting game with Canon for a decade before leaving them.

Flashback...

• Back in the 60's and 70's, Canon played second fiddle to Nikon, and photographers were provided with Nikon gear to use on the job.

• Then with the launch of the EOS line, Canon suddenly surged to the front, and it seemed most pros shot Canon, judging by the prevalence of white lenses at sporting events.

• I recall when the loyal Nikon owners were loadly bemoaning the inability of Nikon to come up with digital sensor cameras with the high ISO low noise capabilities of Canon, and others were bemoaning the incredibly long time that Nikon lacked any digital FF capability.

• Now we are hearing the Canon owners bemoaning how long it is taking Canon to catch up to Nikon!

Doesn't the above point out that technical advantages and perceived marketplace advantages are cyclic, and you can drive yourself to the poor house FASTER by changing brands over and over and over?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,446 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Charlie.

Oct 31, 2017 17:41 |  #172

Wilt wrote in post #18485521 (external link)
Flashback...

• Back in the 60's and 70's, Canon played second fiddle to Nikon, and photographers were provided with Nikon gear to use on the job.

• Then with the launch of the EOS line, Canon suddenly surged to the front, and it seemed most pros shot Canon, judging by the prevalence of white lenses at sporting events.

• I recall when the loyal Nikon owners were loadly bemoaning the inability of Nikon to come up with digital sensor cameras with the high ISO low noise capabilities of Canon, and others were bemoaning the incredibly long time that Nikon lacked any digital FF capability.

• Now we are hearing the Canon owners bemoaning how long it is taking Canon to catch up to Nikon!

Doesn't the above point out that technical advantages and perceived marketplace advantages are cyclic, and you can drive yourself to the poor house FASTER by changing brands over and over and over?!

As if there werent other brands that didnt die along the way. They stopped being competitive, so they died.

are you saying that the cycle cant be broken?

as for costs, this hobby is relatively inexpensive for many folks.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2017 18:43 |  #173

Looking at the OP's original question I would have to say the 5D Mk4.

I have absolutely no idea if it is better or worse than the Nikon D850 - I have yet to even pick up a D850!

However I use long lenses and the Canon 500/600/800 mm lenses give me the AF performance that I need. I have tried the Nikon equivalents (though not on a D850) and was disappointed with their AF performance on D800/D810/D4S and D5 bodies.

So, for me, it has to be Canon whether I like them or not! The best IQ in the world is of little use if the auto focus missed.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,272 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 31, 2017 22:25 |  #174

Depending on what I shoot and budget I would seriously look at Sony. Personally I don't like their cameras as much as Fuji but Sony is putting out much better tech than anyone else. Eye detect, wow. And it is Sony sensors what made lot of Canon folks jump ship to Nikon and Sony. Sony glass is not cheap though.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,705 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by MDJAK.

Nov 02, 2017 20:56 |  #175

I just sold all of my Canon gear, from my 1DxII to my L glass and flashes.

Why? First allow me to state the obvious. It’s not the gun, it’s the trigger puller.

There, now that I got that out of the way, I still like nice gear. And after lugging the above gear out west in August, up and down Zion, around Arches, in and out of Bryce, Moab and all manner of parks and trails in Boulder, the weight just got to me.

So I say, why narrow your choice to Canon and Nikon, both of which systems I’ve owned and really like?

I am seriously considering the Sony A9 or the soon to be out A7R3. Neither cheap, but Sony is just killing them all.

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,117 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Owain Shaw.

Nov 03, 2017 05:10 |  #176

My answer to the original question ... using rough amounts thrown around here (between $8k and $10k) I would get myself a (probably) second-hand Leica M of some description and a 35mm Summicron. I think that comes in about on budget.

I know I haven't technically answered the question which was between the Canon and Nikon offerings but that would be my first choice - and I don't currently shoot Leica, I have a foot in both Canon and Fuji camps but if I were starting again with a bit of cash, I would try and get a Leica. I even think about draining my rainy day fund and doing it now, but I still need to wait for longer spells of settled weather.

So, if I had to choose between the two ... the Nikon is probably better on paper, and the lenses I would be getting (standard focal length primes) can't be too much different. I would want to play around with both though. I've shot Canon for a long time, and that doesn't go away in the fire/theft/magical disappearance, and I chose my first EOS camera years ago because they layout felt right. They're both excellent cameras, more than enough for a serious hobbyist/non-professional like myself so I wouldn't be worried too worried about spec and more about which camera was going to be most comfortable to shoot with. I find Nikon bodies a bit overwhelming with all the buttons. Canon do seem to add more over time but I still think they're a bit cleaner.

Neither matches a Leica for simplicity and getting out of the way and letting you shoot though. I spend most of my time walking around with one camera and one lens shooting whatever catches my eye. The settings I use on my cameras are generally the exposure triangle settings and not a lot else. I know this isn't for everyone, but it's what I would do.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,462 posts
Gallery: 620 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 03, 2017 07:47 |  #177

I would get the Fuji GFX. ;-)a

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

jay25
181 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 03, 2017 08:41 |  #178

By only reading the specs I would definitely buy a Nikon. I shoot mostly people. As far as lenses go there's sigma art. Yes canon makes stunning lenses and priced pretty good. So glass is not really a good excuse now that sigma art has caught up & surpassed SOME of the canon L glass primes!

alex66
241 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 03, 2017 09:22 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #179

Between the two I would be more inclined to go for the mk3 over the A9 but I don't need very fast frame rates, that I think is part of the choice frame rate or resolution. If you don't need 2 card slots then the mk2 is I think a good choice and with upgraders it could be got for quite reasonable prices soon leaving more money for lenses.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

cigargreg
262 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by cigargreg.

Nov 03, 2017 09:25 |  #180

My decision was 100% based on emotion. I have always gone with Canon for one reason, my grandfathers Canon AE-1 with that western neck strap. Everything from my busted XS in high school, to my first digital camera A320 to my 5DMKIV is based off that logo when I was a kid.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

24,298 views & 222 likes for this thread
You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.