Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,666 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by roseyposey.

Nov 02, 2017 00:41 |  #226

Scoobert wrote in post #18486118 (external link)
Will be checking that out now since they are going to make a windows version. Nice that they will be making it so you can use plug-ins for lr on it. I use Koken for my website just because it works so well with LR.

Thanks

I'm looking at that now too after seeing it recommended, and also noticing that Lr Classic is slow, and keeps stopping.... I'm assuming if I can browse my RAW files via the file manager that will stay intact when I drop Lr classic? Windows PC

Panasonic G9: Panasonic Vario 14 -140 f/3.5-5.6: Leica 8 -18 f/2.8-4
Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, and just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m.
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

sponsored links
alex66
246 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 03, 2017 11:02 |  #227

alex66 wrote in post #18486080 (external link)
Do you know if it will worth dual screens?

They replied to my enquiry sadly no dual screen support.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,666 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 04, 2017 02:15 |  #228

digital paradise wrote in post #18481733 (external link)
I'm embarrassed to say after all the griping I caved. Like I said perhaps in another thread it took a year to warm up to LR and another few to fine tune and get it the way I wanted it. I did a bunch more tests with Capture and frankly there was just no knock your socks off difference for me. It is very good but not $300 worth anyway. I read on another thread what happens if they go full subscription. They are already offering it.

LR classic install was seamless, took less than 5 minutes to open and picked up my old catalogue, presets and defaults. Same for my laptop. I'll give a year and see. I just paid the whole amount as I figure to upgrade both LR and PS would have cost as much. It is like nothing changed expect for Adobe's meat hooks and now I get Dehaze. I do have the 3rd party one on LR6. Have not explored the other new things yet.

I'm working on my desktop and external drives and I have not even seen the word cloud. I don't even know how to send any images to the free 20 gigs and I won't use it anyway so I don't care. I'm not even going to download LR CC. I wish I could sell it lol.

I guess I should switch the Process to version 4 for my future imports. I have it set up in my defaults to auto apply.

At this site they said it would wipe out LR6 and to uncheck the box but when I opened it was unchecked. Perhaps Adobe changed the default setting because they were getting complaints. I'm on hold with Adobe support as I don't see this option with PS CC. I don't want it CS6 deleted either. However I do see and option to download CS6.

https://www.lightroomf​orums.net …lightroom-6-cc2015.32894/ (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=184​81733&i=i21384977
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I'm just so confused by all this. Lr Classic is not subscription based then? Thanks

Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, and just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m.
Rose

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,778 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nogo.

Nov 04, 2017 02:36 |  #229

roseyposey wrote in post #18488173 (external link)
I'm just so confused by all this. Lr Classic is not subscription based then? Thanks

What Adobe calls Light Room Classic is subscription based. The only perpetual licenses available from Adobe right now are Lightroom 6 and Photoshop (and Premier) Elements. Lightroom 6.13 will be supported by Adobe through the end of 2017. After that time, if you want the latest Lightroom you have to subscribe.

Philip

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,666 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by roseyposey.

Nov 04, 2017 02:39 |  #230

Nogo wrote in post #18488179 (external link)
What Adobe calls Light Room Classic is subscription based. The only perpetual licenses available from Adobe right now are Lightroom 6 and Photoshop (and Premier) Elements. Lightroom 6.13 will be supported by Adobe through the end of 2017. After that time, if you want the latest Lightroom you have to subscribe.

Thanks .. I have a Lightroom 6 installer in my downloads, but it automatically installs to Classic CC. Guess I'll wait until I cancel my subscription in December, then install it. Thank you. I also have purchased a key for Luminar, so looking forward to trying that.

Rose

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 04, 2017 08:56 |  #231

roseyposey wrote in post #18488180 (external link)
Thanks .. I have a Lightroom 6 installer in my downloads, but it automatically installs to Classic CC. Guess I'll wait until I cancel my subscription in December, then install it. Thank you. I also have purchased a key for Luminar, so looking forward to trying that.

The CC dialogue page lets me download what I want to. I have not and won't install LR CC (which is cloud based) as I don't want to use the cloud. LR Classic allows both local or cloud storage but I just use local.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,724 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2017 20:52 |  #232

I use LR 6.1 standalone, and also have LR 5.7 just-in-case (I also own CS6 standalone).

I've used LR since V.2, and have enjoyed both it's cataloging and as a pre-editor for further PP in CS. The addition of "Local adjustments" basically kept me in the LR world, but I've tried other RAW editors in a never ending quest to get maximum PP results. I have only found one RAW editor I use other than LR: DxO Optics Pro.

DxO OP has a lot of excellent modules and in my opinion does a lot better at edits than LR: better sharpening, better NR, better tonal edits, better monochrome and filters, etc. If DxO OP had a local edit tool like LR, I'd be in heaven.

I also use the additional DxO FilmPack5 module, which I use on just about everything I edit.

jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

nardes
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Gallery: 382 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 06, 2017 00:53 |  #233

Jason C wrote in post #18489575 (external link)
I use LR 6.1 standalone, and also have LR 5.7 just-in-case (I also own CS6 standalone).

I've used LR since V.2, and have enjoyed both it's cataloging and as a pre-editor for further PP in CS. The addition of "Local adjustments" basically kept me in the LR world, but I've tried other RAW editors in a never ending quest to get maximum PP results. I have only found one RAW editor I use other than LR: DxO Optics Pro.

DxO OP has a lot of excellent modules and in my opinion does a lot better at edits than LR: better sharpening, better NR, better tonal edits, better monochrome and filters, etc. If DxO OP had a local edit tool like LR, I'd be in heaven.

I also use the additional DxO FilmPack5 module, which I use on just about everything I edit.

jason

The new DxO PhotoLab has a local edit tool based upon the Nik technology that DxO recently acquired. It looks like you can select a region of a photo using an intelligent Masking Tool, then make a series of adjustments to that local (masked) region; examples are Exposure, Micro Contrast, ClearView, Vibrancy, Saturation, Sharpness, Blur, etc. The Masked area displays as a blue toned overlay showing where the effects will be applied. DxO PhotoLab does not do this on separate Layers like PS, as the local changes look as if they are "applied" as overlays to the base image although they can be "undone" from what I saw on a promo video.

Cheers

Dennis

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise. (2 edits in all)

Nov 06, 2017 12:47 |  #234

I'm experimenting with Portfolio. It does not offer Urls or BBC codes, just copy. This is what I get but I don't need it for this propose.

https://pro2-bar-s3-cdn-cf1.myportfolio.com …658a51d4bc9014b​3bf295882f (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 06, 2017 12:51 |  #235

It offers sharing with Facebook, Twitter, Flicker and a few others.

Image Editing OK

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 06, 2017 17:45 |  #236

I'm not a professional, so I don't need something like C1, but Apple's photos app is too basic (or I don't know how to use it). I can't stand its organization. Seems geared more for phone-based snapshots of the day.

I have pretty much decided on Luminar 2018. Folks who are in on the beta seem to rave about the "AI" slider that does a number of things most do with RAW off the bat. AT $59US (pre-order through 14 Nov, goes up to $69 after that), I can't complain about the price either.

--
John

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,832 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by kirkt. (4 edits in all)

Nov 07, 2017 06:54 |  #237

jc1350 wrote in post #18490300 (external link)
I'm not a professional, so I don't need something like C1, but Apple's photos app is too basic (or I don't know how to use it). I can't stand its organization. Seems geared more for phone-based snapshots of the day.

I have pretty much decided on Luminar 2018. Folks who are in on the beta seem to rave about the "AI" slider that does a number of things most do with RAW off the bat. AT $59US (pre-order through 14 Nov, goes up to $69 after that), I can't complain about the price either.

As a Mac user, you have options. I would suggest taking a look at Picktorial as a full-featured raw processor plus local editor. It works seamlessly with Photos, so you can use Photos to import and manage your collections and albums, but use Picktorial to edit. It also permits round trip workflows into almost any application and all of the edits that you make within Picktorial stay with the raw file, so if you use a cloud service like Dropbox your edits will stay sync'ed across machines. Also, it will accept DCP camera profiles (the Adobe format camera profiles) so if you have made custom profiles, you can use them within Picktorial.

Take a look at the videos on their website and download the free trial. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Currently it is offered at $49 USD.

https://www.picktorial​.com/ (external link)

Kirk

EDIT: here is an interview with the software's creator, albeit when the older version 2 of the application was available.

https://youtu.be/J0FVa​hvQLXc (external link)

V3 has some terrific changes.

Kirk
---

Lumens
445 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Lumens.

Nov 07, 2017 07:01 |  #238

jc1350 wrote in post #18490300 (external link)

Also a hobbyist here, I have been using LR but I've never liked the use of a catalog. I have deleted and restarted more than once. Recently I realized the catalog has been focusing me completely in the wrong direction. Instead of focusing on a clean and nice catalog, I am going to use a DAM that utilizes my O/S File system (Finder or Explorer) to focus on a final Gallery. Currently a number of options do that and work very well for me, I have tried a few. Mostly I prefer the Luminar Editing/Development tools and have already pre-ordered 2018. I really look forward to their new DAM to be released, I have high hopes for it. I want something that will work with my RAWS, but also allow for organization of my final edits as a true Gallery rather than an immature catalog.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 07, 2017 07:32 |  #239

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Picktorial, but it's Apple's Photos management that I don't like. I too am looking forward to Luminar's DAM module.

I don't mind (dare I say I might even like) LR's catalog...once I got used to it.

--
John

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 07, 2017 07:35 |  #240

Lumens wrote in post #18490645 (external link)
Also a hobbyist here, I have been using LR but I've never liked the use of a catalog...

Interesting! When I first tried LR, that was the only thing that I liked about it! I wish that I'd had it 50 years ago! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

81,452 views & 130 likes for this thread
So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.