Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 03:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7R III

Jotto123
110 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 04, 2017 07:12 |  #91

xpfloyd wrote in post #18488207 (external link)
The a7rii has 5D3 af speed never mind the a7riii. (Talking about locking focus not tracking, not sure if you meant tracking or not)

I meant tracking speed and accuracy.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 35Art

sponsored links
ChrisHeathcote
136 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 04, 2017 13:27 |  #92

xpfloyd wrote in post #18488207 (external link)
The a7rii has 5D3 af speed never mind the a7riii. (Talking about locking focus not tracking, not sure if you meant tracking or not)

Jotto123 wrote in post #18488268 (external link)
I meant tracking speed and accuracy.

I have to admit, I’m holding out on this too. I am a fairly recent convert to mirrorless having shot Canon for the last 15 years, my last being the 5d3 which I loved but just got tired of lugging a big camera around on family days out. So my plan originally was to get a 7D2 as a wildlife sports camera in the new year. However having spent the last 4 months with the Rii, I am totally sold on the Sony system. The only thing I miss is the tracking (however I have been using a Sig 120-300 Sport with MC11), which is a bit hit & miss. If the Riii is significantly better then I miss upgrade, if not then I think I will give the 100-400 GM a try instead.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,654 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 04, 2017 13:36 |  #93

Yeah it will be interesting to see how the riii performs in that regard. The a9 is great by all accounts but no one really knows how close the riii will be to that level of performance yet. I don’t shoot sports or BIF so the change from 5D3 to rii wasn’t an issue for me.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | 15 | 21 | 28 | 55 | 85

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 8 months ago by mystik610.

Nov 04, 2017 15:39 |  #94

A7rii's focus acquisition is often slow when the lens is defocused by quite a bit and needs larger adjustments and in low light. I purposely tried the 100-400 out and the acquisition speed was noticeable faster. Also, eye focus will re acquire the eye more quickly...tested this pretty thoroughly with the Sony rep.

A big improvement to me is how quickly the mkIII wakes up. It wakes up and is ready to shoot pretty much immediately, whereas with the a7rII you have time wait a second or two and it means you miss shots. In the middle of shooting a wedding right now and yeah it's annoying.

In terms of tracking...I didn't really get to test it out, though on paper I don't think it will be any better. That said I think the a7rII tracks just fine for most things...with every camera since the a7rII, I basically stay in AF-C because the tracking system is so critically accurate. Never did that on the 5DIII. Wake up times and focus acquisition speed thing is a bigger deal IMO.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,435 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 8 months ago by Bianchi.

Nov 04, 2017 16:17 |  #95

First shoot using the Sony a7RIII, and the 24-105 in case you didn't see it

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=CIdOhuwuE0k (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,626 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2017 17:58 |  #96

ChrisHeathcote wrote in post #18488541 (external link)
I have to admit, I’m holding out on this too. I am a fairly recent convert to mirrorless having shot Canon for the last 15 years, my last being the 5d3 which I loved but just got tired of lugging a big camera around on family days out. So my plan originally was to get a 7D2 as a wildlife sports camera in the new year. However having spent the last 4 months with the Rii, I am totally sold on the Sony system. The only thing I miss is the tracking (however I have been using a Sig 120-300 Sport with MC11), which is a bit hit & miss. If the Riii is significantly better then I miss upgrade, if not then I think I will give the 100-400 GM a try instead.

I think your problem is the adapter. MC11 + sigma lens = poor tracking, however, metabones +sigma = good tracking.

Seems counter intuitive, but that's my experience on both adapters.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ChrisHeathcote
136 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 05, 2017 01:20 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #97

Thanks Charlie, I may have to bite the bullet on the MB and give it a try. For some naive reason I expected the Sigma to be the best option for Sigma global lenses. Having said all this I’ve been toying with the Sigma for the 100-400 GM to get better af comparability (AF Lock-on, Zone and Eye AF don’t work on the Sigma)and also reduce weight. The Sigma is such a sharp lens though

level5photog
171 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Nov 05, 2017 13:01 |  #98

I wish the A7RIII have mRAW option. I do weddings and it's going to be PIA. I'm waiting for Sony A7III and see if I can use adapted Canon/Sigma/Tamron lens to it before making the switch.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,696 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited 8 months ago by MDJAK.

Nov 08, 2017 06:57 |  #99

Coming from the 1DxII, I can’t wait to hold this little baby in my hands. Or should I say hand? Lol.

I ordered it with the 24-105. I was never great at focusing and recomposing. Now it seems with eye focus I won’t have to be.

But the wait to get it is killing me.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,696 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 15, 2017 19:28 |  #100

So, here's a question, and the answer may wind up being one of personal preference, but I'll ask for guidance purposes.

One thing I'm thinking I may not like is the fact there is no knob on the left top of the body as there is on the A9.

Where are the controls on the A7R3 that the A9 accomplishes with that left top dial?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,626 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 15, 2017 20:07 |  #101

MDJAK wrote in post #18497470 (external link)
So, here's a question, and the answer may wind up being one of personal preference, but I'll ask for guidance purposes.

One thing I'm thinking I may not like is the fact there is no knob on the left top of the body as there is on the A9.

Where are the controls on the A7R3 that the A9 accomplishes with that left top dial?

You custom define them in the FN menu, works fine. The menu is similar to Q menu of Canon, but advantage is you can access in the EVF while shooting.

Would be nice to have the wheel for sure, but in practice, I typically park on set settings. Hardly ever an issue.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,762 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 15, 2017 20:14 |  #102

MDJAK wrote in post #18497470 (external link)

So that top dial controls the fps/shooting mode, and AF mode. AF tracking is so accurate on the a7 bodies that most people stay in af-c mode, so the only thing missing is fps. All of the buttons and wheels are customizable, so you can either map one of the wheels to toggle the shooting mode, or map a button to turn on the shooting mode toggle.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,696 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited 7 months ago by MDJAK.

Nov 22, 2017 08:58 |  #103

appreciate the replies. Now the wait.......

There's also new youtube videos on the A7R3, one by the camera store. I only recently found them. They are from Canada. Very good quality videos. They went with Sony to Sedona, AZ, on a hot air balloon, etc.

AngelofDepth
139 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2014

Nov 23, 2017 09:11 |  #104

The review from DP Review (external link) is very positive

flickr (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Nov 24, 2017 23:25 |  #105

Saw an excellent Youtube video today by The Camera Store TV ...

In a nutshell ... he showed the A7Riii to be very good, but the greatest thing I walked away with after watching, was it proved what an incomplete piece of equipment the A7Rii was. Ever since release, there's been so many posts by various people stating Sony was kicking all the other manufacturers butts, etc.. Rarely admitting that the A7Rii was a bit like the "Tucker". Anyhow, now it looks like Sony finally has a replacement for that unprofessional substitute sold to keep financing it's engineers and future phase.

I know lots of people have, and can, get nice pictures with both Sony .. the old-7 and the new-7 .. but there must be some sour grapes out there. Some with the old A7Rii must be thinking, dang, just bought this, now this new model is out with big juicy batteries and better features. Then there's the new A7Riii owners maybe boiling about features picked-from-the-bones.

On the other hand, doesn't the same thing play-out with other camera brands too !!

AngelofDepth wrote in post #18502595 (external link)
The review from DP Review (external link) is very positive

It better be good, if it's to replace the A7Rii !!

Maybe the most amusing point, was pointing out how the A7Riii can be plugged in if in a pinch for power. My photographer friends never run out of battery power. Either one is enough or they carry extras.

It shows that Sony made so many minds so touchy about the tiny battery problem, that even though the new model's battery has more than ample juice, they've got it wired to another port nobody will probably ever need just so they can talk about it and put fears to rest ... lol ..

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

32,448 views & 392 likes for this thread
Sony a7R III
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.