Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 22 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera to complement your phone

dolina
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2017 14:26 |  #1

Are you looking to buy a camera to complement your smartphone but dont know what to get? Then read on!

If size & weight are important and you have no plans to buy a 2nd lens then a point & shoot with a large image sensor like those found in a Four Thirds, APS-C, Full frame camera may be of interest to you.

Large image sensor allows for better image quality than any and all smartphones.

Their built-in lens tends to have faster f-number than the kit lens of mirrorless or dSLRs.

They also have WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC to complement and connect to your smartphone.

Listed below are some of these cameras that are smaller & weigh less than their mirrorless counterpart. These are accurate as of the date of this posting.

Full Frame
- Leica Q (Type 116) < looks like a Leica M camera but with auto focus and auto aperture
- Sony RX1R II
- Sony RX1R
- Sony RX1

APS-C
- Fujifilm X100F
- Ricoh GR II
- Canon G1 Mark III
- Fujifilm X70
- Leica X-U (Typ 113)

Four Thirds
- Leica D-LUX (Typ 109)
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100

Another option that offers higher utility may be buying a flagship phone like a Google Pixel 2 or iPhone 8.

You may leave your new camera at home but never your phone.

The best camera you can ever own is the one with you always.

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

dolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,796 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 24, 2017 14:14 |  #2

This buyer's guide is tailored for casual photogs and not too much on serious photogs

I completely forgot that Nikon had mirrorless offerings.

1.5"

• Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II

1"
  • Sony RX0 1.0"-Type Sensor Ultra-Compact Waterproof/Shockproof
  • Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
  • Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10
  • Canon PowerShot G3 X
  • Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 IV
  • Canon PowerShot G9 X
  • Canon PowerShot G5 X
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,295 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 13, 2017 21:25 |  #3

If I want to go light and have camera just better than iPhone I have, it is tiny 8MP Lumix P&S with fast Leica zoom.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

daleg
605 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by daleg. (4 edits in all)

Dec 27, 2017 20:58 |  #4

Compliment my cell phone? I do not converse with my android. I have trouble enough providing adequate compliments to my better half, never mind the cellphone. grin.

Functionally, I don't want to talk on my camera. Bad idea. Nor do I usually want to take photos on my phone.

I'm one of those last contrarians who occasionally still ventures forth without the ubiquitous cell phone. It looks great peacefully parked on my desk. It's actually kinda nice, in a liberated way, to be out of touch - from time to time. Try it someday! The world, amazingly, continues to spin on its axis even if I'm not instantly available to answer some telemarketer's solicitation. groan.

I shoot film and digital, about 50/50. My film exposures are almost exclusively developed and scanned, in house.

Rather than peering at the back of my cellphone, held at arms length, I have assembled way too many real cameras - each of which are fun and effective:

Film - leica - mostly the M3, hasselblad - the 503x, & numerous nikon film cameras (Nkrmt EL, F thru F4, FE, F100, EM, etc.), and less often the canon eos 1N and AE-1 program. I expect to add 4x5 & perhaps 6x9 in 2018, along with a F5/6 & probably a FM3a.

Digital - mostly canon - 1DX2, 1D4, 5D, 7D2, 60D, SL1. also the fujifilm X-T1 & 100S, and the nikon Df - mostly MF with legacy and zeiss/voigtländer glass (used also on film bodies). In 2018 I expect to shift more to fujifilm and trim back my extensive canon gear.

as for photos from my cell phone? only for graphical notes when shopping or about. I don't use a cellphone for serious compositions.

there are certain cameras whose ergonomics, build quality, and tactile experiences just feel right. it's a very subjective, but - for me - really important aspect of why I love photography.

cell phones, to me, are annoying and aggravating. quite different from my favorite camera/lens combos.

ymmv.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 27, 2017 21:03 |  #5

I went through this a while back. Got tired of lugging the dSLR and full size flash around. Started taking my EOS-M and 22mm pancake instead. Did that a while. Eventually got tired of it's poor & sluggish AF (everything else about it was actually fine), and total lack of good manual focus tools, and really didn't enjoy the pure LCD experience (works fine inside, but awful outside). So I made the switch after a long search to a Fuji X100S (used) and it satisifed all the things I needed in a real camera to compliment going out where you normally would only bother taking a phone. Good dynamic range from the APS-C sensor, nearly dead silent leaf shutter, built in flash that syncs with my shutter thanks to being a leaf (this is amazing really), built in ND filter, excellent manual focus tools, etc. It really just filled all the bills for me. Still easy for someone else to operate too, if I hand it to someone else and tell them to just look through it or look at the LCD and press a button. I take it everywhere as the every day camera.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,103 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera to complement your phone
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.