Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No like

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,103 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 14, 2017 22:31 |  #1

I received a notification a post was "liked". Not only is there no "like" on the post, but there is no like button.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18496063

No complaints. Just an FYI for programming.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,307 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 14, 2017 22:58 |  #2

There's never a Like button on one's own posts. The post at your link has a button that says LIKE | 0.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 11 months ago by DaviSto.

Nov 15, 2017 01:07 |  #3

On a perhaps related point, I have on just a couple of occasions accidentally 'liked' a post (while viewing POTN on a smartphone). In one instance, this happened while looking to see who the many people were who liked a photo that didn't appeal to me much at all (my fault for being nosy, I guess). I couldn't find a way to withdraw the like. If I had, I suppose I would then have had to think through whether I really wanted to give the poster such a clear signal that I didn't like their photo.

Is there a way to withdraw a 'like' on POTN? Any thoughts about 'unlike' etiquette?

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,766 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2017 01:18 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #4

David, the option to withdraw a Like is coming in the next software update, whenever that will be. Pekka is working on it.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Nov 15, 2017 01:27 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #5

Thanks, Levina, I shall patiently wait.

David.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,103 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 15, 2017 08:49 |  #6

OhLook wrote in post #18496760 (external link)
There's never a Like button on one's own posts. The post at your link has a button that says LIKE | 0.

Thanks. I could have sworn that in the past I saw the like button on my own post, but perhaps I'm wrong. Thanks for the info.

Website (external link) |

RhodyPhotos
748 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 15, 2017 09:09 |  #7

OhLook wrote in post #18496760 (external link)

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18496982 (external link)
Thanks. I could have sworn that in the past I saw the like button on my own post, but perhaps I'm wrong. Thanks for the info.

You do see a 'Like' button on your post but of course you can't like your own posts. You can only use it to see the list of forum members who "Liked" your post.

CC always welcome.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,307 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 15, 2017 10:30 |  #8

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #18496999 (external link)
You do see a 'Like' button on your post but of course you can't like your own posts. You can only use it to see the list of forum members who "Liked" your post.

If your post gets one or more Likes, a button appears that says how many it got. Before that, there's no button about Likes.

If you always have a Like button, your posts must be very popular!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

RhodyPhotos
748 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 15, 2017 10:56 |  #9

OhLook wrote in post #18497074 (external link)
If your post gets one or more Likes, a button appears that says how many it got. Before that, there's no button about Likes.

If you always have a Like button, your posts must be very popular!

:-). You are right. I'm sorry, I just looked at one post and made the assumption.

CC always welcome.

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
6,840 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2017 12:49 |  #10

DaviSto wrote in post #18496804 (external link)
On a perhaps related point, I have on just a couple of occasions accidentally 'liked' a post (while viewing POTN on a smartphone). In one instance, this happened while looking to see who the many people were who liked a photo that didn't appeal to me much at all (my fault for being nosy, I guess). I couldn't find a way to withdraw the like. If I had, I suppose I would then have had to think through whether I really wanted to give the poster such a clear signal that I didn't like their photo.

Is there a way to withdraw a 'like' on POTN? Any thoughts about 'unlike' etiquette?

It is possible to "see who likes" a post without yourself liking it.

Move your mouse over the like button, let it "hover" for a couple seconds and those who have 'Liked" the post will appear.

Just do not press the mouse button and you will be fine.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,902 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 30, 2017 12:58 |  #11

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18496744 (external link)
I received a notification a post was "liked". Not only is there no "like" on the post, but there is no like button.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18496063

No complaints. Just an FYI for programming.

Your first post on that page has one like.

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18507567 (external link)

Move your mouse over the like button, let it "hover" for a couple seconds and those who have 'Liked" the post will appear.

Phones typically don't have mice. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 10 months ago by DaviSto.

Nov 30, 2017 12:58 |  #12

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18507567 (external link)

Thank you for that ... but, in this case, it's not lack of knowledge that is the problem, it's simply inferior application of it. Specifically, using a small smart-phone touch screen, I find it all too easy to allow an intended delicate 'hover' to transition into an inadvertent 'button push'. Then, there is no going back ... which is quite irritating, although hardly the end of the world. I'm not so much 'all fingers and thumbs' with a smartphone as I am simply 'all thumbs', I'm afraid.

David.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,307 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 30, 2017 13:07 |  #13

DaviSto wrote in post #18507574 (external link)
Specifically, using a small smart-phone touch screen, I find it all too easy to allow an intended delicate 'hover' to transition into an inadvertent 'button push'.

The same thing happens on my laptop. The touchpad is so sensitive.

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
6,840 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2017 13:41 |  #14

Thank you all for clarifying it is "Not having the Mouse when needed" problem!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Nov 30, 2017 13:52 |  #15

It's not just the 'ham-fisted' accidental button push that is the potential issue here. There are, for example, photographs that I might at first greatly like that I later greatly dislike because I learn more about how they were made or the behaviour of the person who made them.

David.

sponsored links

1,695 views & 11 likes for this thread
No like
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.