Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

renew youre lenses every 3 years?

Hokie ­ Jim
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2016

Nov 17, 2017 14:12 |  #31

Date your cameras, marry your lenses.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 17, 2017 16:02 |  #32

ejenner wrote in post #18498256 (external link)
.... This is why many of us keep our most expensive lenses locked away and hardly ever use them, and never outside....

It's a fact...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 17, 2017 16:04 |  #33

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18498384 (external link)
Then in the next 6 years, i will be right on the front of your door, ready to take the 500L II off your hands for free :-D

Yes, it's already starting to turn stale. All that dry air in Botswana has accelerated the process.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Dillan_K
Goldmember
1,097 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 17, 2017 17:03 |  #34

What, does she own a camera store? Is she heavily invested in Canon shares? Maybe she's trying to make a sale.

Why would a lens go bad after 3 years? There's no expiry date on glass. If there is, it's way longer than our lifetimes. Yes, technology moves forward. Yes, there's better glass available now then there was 20 years ago, but it doesn't mean any of your current lenses have somehow gone bad.

Gear: Canon 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 300mm f/4L IS, 5D, Elan 7, 420EX, Metz 52 AF-1
flickr (external link)

primeone
587 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 21, 2017 11:19 |  #35

Is it possible that she's talking about the tax value of the lens in a business?

I don't know the details, but I think you can get tax benefits/discounts/wha​tever for assets and the value of the asset deprecates each year till by the 4th year you no longer get benefits.

In that case it might make financial sense to sell the old lenses and buy new ones - gaining both newer models and a tax benefit?

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Nov 21, 2017 11:42 as a reply to  @ primeone's post |  #36

That would depend on how your business is set up and how you are deducting business expenses. Normal "business" expenses can be itemized for 3 years, but hardware can be depreciated by 5 years. Then what would get complicated about selling your old stock to get new stock to depreciate: your financial gains in selling your old gear should be reported as income. So in simple situations, it doesn't make much financial sense. I've been self employed as a medical animator. I would do itemized deductions on any computer hardware, but got most my deductions through office expenses, conferences, and education material.

The sister in law should be more specific about what she means. If she did mean the value of the lens depreciates (or tax reasons), then there may be reasons. However, the value of lenses certainly doesn't depreciate the way camera bodies or computers do. I still have a Canon AE-1 and FD mount lenses (30+ years).:rolleyes: Looking through the lens, it doesn't look mushy.:-)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Nov 21, 2017 12:24 |  #37

Yeah, I don't think even depreciation makes sense here.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by Bassat. (2 edits in all)

Nov 21, 2017 12:59 |  #38

I don't want to become known as the POTN Brainiac, so I've avoided posting that she is ABSOLUTELY right! Someone hinted at it above: glass is a liquid. As such (duh!), it flows. If you look closely at some of the early European church glass windows, they are becoming distorted after standing in place for 500+ years. The glass in your lenses will do the same. If you leave your lens laying on its side, all the glass WILL flow to the downward side in... let me estimate here... Oh, maybe 5 or 6 million years. But, and this is the point the lady is aware of: IT BEGINS AS SOON AS YOU SET THE LENS DOWN! If you stand it on the objective end, things will sag that direction and you will soon (500,000 to 600,000 years) have noticeable pincushion distortion. Stand them on the projection end and you will have, just as quickly, barrel distortion.

All is not lost, however. The real secret, and much cheaper than buying new L-glass every three years, is to store your lenses in a casing polisher. Here is the largest one I could find: https://ads.midwayusa.​com …0N2gfEEAQYBSABE​gIyvvD_BwE (external link)

That one should easily hold a 70-200 2.8, or a 100-400L. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford BIG glass, you'll need a big tumbler. This one holds up to 300 pounds so you can do all your long glass at the same time: https://www.northernto​ol.com …0wIQnDEAQYAyABE​gLgWfD_BwE (external link)

These things may seem a bit costly, but remember, they are saving you from having to replace all you glass every three years! You are welcome.

For the L-addicts, who simply must have the best, take a look at this one!: http://www.mixertrucks​.com …rete-Mixer-Truck/?id=2635 (external link)

EDIT:
Someone help me, please. I have way too much time on my hands!

davesrose
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2017 13:44 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #39

Oh well for scientific conversation: glass actually isn't a liquid. It isn't a true solid either: it's considered an amorphous solid. There are older glass examples from Egypt that do not have any kind of sag to them. It's thought that the reason medieval glass might look to have more mass at the bottom is either intentional or the glass making methods weren't to par.

Fact or Fiction: Glass a Liquid? (external link)

I think what really muddies the water with camera lenses is that when they're being made, they're also not pure glass but have mixtures/coatings of elements like fluorite or quartz. So with modern technology, it might be more than 500,000 years from which you set the lens down in which there will be noticeable distortion. Then again, what if you set the lens down, and in a few hundred years, biological contaminants start having their way....maybe instead of just a tumbler, you should also autoclave from time to time;-)a

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 21, 2017 13:49 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #40

Great response! If you can't afford an autoclave, a large pressure cooker can accomplish much the same thing.

Hokie ­ Jim
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2016

Nov 21, 2017 15:24 |  #41

davesrose wrote in post #18501234 (external link)
Oh well for scientific conversation: glass actually isn't a liquid. It isn't a true solid either: it's considered an amorphous solid. There are older glass examples from Egypt that do not have any kind of sag to them. It's thought that the reason medieval glass might look to have more mass at the bottom is either intentional or the glass making methods weren't to par.

Fact or Fiction: Glass a Liquid? (external link)

I think what really muddies the water with camera lenses is that when they're being made, they're also not pure glass but have mixtures/coatings of elements like fluorite or quartz. So with modern technology, it might be more than 500,000 years from which you set the lens down in which there will be noticeable distortion. Then again, what if you set the lens down, and in a few hundred years, biological contaminants start having their way....maybe instead of just a tumbler, you should also autoclave from time to time;-)a

For a time after college, I worked at a company that manufactured ethylene oxide sterilizers. Horrible, horrible stuff (toxic, explosive, carcinogenic, etc) - but it's what you use when you need to sterilize endoscopes or things like that without burning them up in an autoclave.

New market for fungus-filled lens rehab?  :p

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

repete7
205 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 21, 2017 19:45 |  #42

davesrose wrote in post #18501150 (external link)
That would depend on how your business is set up and how you are deducting business expenses. Normal "business" expenses can be itemized for 3 years, but hardware can be depreciated by 5 years. Then what would get complicated about selling your old stock to get new stock to depreciate: your financial gains in selling your old gear should be reported as income. So in simple situations, it doesn't make much financial sense. I've been self employed as a medical animator. I would do itemized deductions on any computer hardware, but got most my deductions through office expenses, conferences, and education material.

Ummm...not quite.

Tax Pro here. Depreciation is too complicated an issue to address in a comment in photography forum. Consult a tax pro for advice specific to your situation.

Depreciation is a deduction that allows taxpayers to recover the cost of tangible property over its useful life. In general, costs of tangible property must be deducted over the life of the property. To determine how much you can deduct per year, you take into account a lot of factors, including the class life of the asset. The class life of photographic equipment hasn't been designated by law, so it falls into the catch-all seven year property class and may be deducted over seven years. (Computer equipment has been designated as five year property). Your asset may be eligible for a more advantageous deduction rather than spreading the cost over seven years. It may be eligible to be expensed (deducted in the year it is placed in service), it may be eligible for special bonus depreciation, or it may be eligible for a Section 179 deduction where the entire cost of the property is deducted the year it is placed in service. Again, consult a tax pro.

As for "normal" business expenses being deducted over 3 years, I'm not sure what you mean by "normal." if you are a cash basis taxpayer (like most self-employed people), you report income and deductions in the year that they are actually received or paid (not including depreciable property which is treated differently). Also, when you say you "do itemized deductions", are you using the common definition of the word, ie listing items separately? Or do you mean you are deducting your business expenses as a personal itemized deduction on Schedule A? The latter would be a no-no.

You are correct that the sale of business assets results in income. If you trade in your old gear for new, it may be eligible for a "like-kind" exchange and some tax savings.

Karen Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D2|Canon Eos-m|Canon ef-m 22|Samyang 14mm f/2.8|Canon 40 stm|Canon 50 f/1.8 stm|Canon FD 50mm macro|Canon Macro 100L|Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM |Canon 24-105L IS USM II|Canon 70-300 IS II USM|Canon 100-400L|

davesrose
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Nov 21, 2017 21:09 as a reply to  @ repete7's post |  #43

Well then you should know that 3 years is considered the most conservative and common property depreciation, 5 years for computers, office equipment, or cars, and 7 years for property that can't be placed in other category. The gist of my post wasn't to get into specifics of tax law: just showing how under normal circumstances, I don't see how selling claimed depreciated lenses for new ones gives any financial benefit (from an ordinary tax point of view). If you want to question my tax history, I am conservative and itemize equipment during situations it makes more sense then including in the standard deductions.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

primeone
587 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 22, 2017 07:57 |  #44

Do we even know that the sister-in-law lives in the USA?

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 22, 2017 08:06 |  #45

primeone wrote in post #18501692 (external link)
Do we even know that the sister-in-law lives in the USA?

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how that is relevant. Do lenses really only last longer than 3 years in the US? I've taken some of my lenses to Germany and England. They seemed OK.

sponsored links

23,883 views & 91 likes for this thread
renew youre lenses every 3 years?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.