Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a6000 settings

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 18, 2017 20:29 |  #1

I've had my a6000 for. several years. I am frustrated.

Two years ago I bought a full frame Sony 24-240 lens. I had broken my left numerous. So my little camera is heavy now

I'm an old film guy; I had a photo business for several years. Frankly i would like assistance

Please recommend settings. Please recommend sources that i may use to learn more.

I am a senior. I can't afford to buy a different camera

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

sponsored links
davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 18, 2017 22:03 |  #2

Maybe a good start would be to go to youtube and search for "jason lanier a6000".

I would also reset the camera completely to ensure you don't have any settings from the past. Its a good way to start.

Go back to the factory lens, and start there.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

yellowt2
234 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 20, 2017 16:06 |  #3

What exactly is frustrating you? What do you use the camera for and what is it not doing?

Recommended settings could be very different depending on whether you are shooting sports, portraits, landscapes...
In general the default settings work fairly well.

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 20, 2017 19:07 |  #4

http://sonyglobal.scen​e7.com …_Guide_eng_350d​pi-pdf.pdf (external link)

this was posted on dpreview

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 20, 2017 19:09 |  #5

davidfig wrote in post #18499475 (external link)
Maybe a good start would be to go to youtube and search for "jason lanier a6000".

I would also reset the camera completely to ensure you don't have any settings from the past. Its a good way to start.

Go back to the factory lens, and start there.

Thanks Jason. very helpful

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 20, 2017 19:15 |  #6

yellowt2 wrote in post #18500632 (external link)
What exactly is frustrating you? What do you use the camera for and what is it not doing?

Recommended settings could be very different depending on whether you are shooting sports, portraits, landscapes...
In general the default settings work fairly well.

I don't have the kit lens anymore. I have the Sony 24-240 full frame lens. It's beautiful. However, it's dark and I need to ensure I use a larger aperture.

I had a photo business. weddings. portraits. sports. during film days. Focus accuracy and exposure are basic necessities

Nikon F2's, and F3HP. Two of each. Motor drives on each. Fast glass. And Leica rangefinders and lenses.

I bought Gary Fong's video very early on. It's helpful. sometimes.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

yellowt2
234 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 22, 2017 14:55 |  #7

Without more info on what you're using the camera for and what is not working the way you expect it's hard to give any good suggestions
The best info you've given is:

2mnycars wrote in post #18500734 (external link)
I had a photo business. weddings. portraits. sports. during film days. Focus accuracy and exposure are basic necessities

Do you still shoot weddings, portraits, and sports? Are you having trouble with focus accuracy and exposure? In all three scenarios?

I use auto-exposure and have not had any problems with it. Sony sensors keep good shadow detail, so I generally set the camera to underexpose by about 2/3 of a stop to make sure it doesn't blow the highlights; I can always up the exposure a little in post. What camera mode are you using (manual, aperture-priority, shutter-priority, "P" mode, etc.) and what metering mode do you use? Do you only have trouble in certain situations (like back-lighting) or in all cases? Are you using a flash? Does it consistently over- or under-expose? Or is it just inconsistent?

For auto-focus I've found eye-focus to work quite well for portraits. I don't shoot sports, but I expect you would want AF-C with center focus points and try to keep the action in the center of the frame.

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 21, 2018 21:36 |  #8

I've resolved my focus problems with the a6000 that caused me to make the original, confused post. It was caused by setting changes that I had made. First step (suggested by a kind poster here) was to go back to factory settings.

Then I bought Gary Fong's instructional video for the camera.

More importantly, I set up Memory Retention properly. I have recorded settings in M1 for fast moving subjects, M2 for landscapes, and M3 for Gary Fong's basic settings.

I've set up the quick memory function on the FN key. That allows me to make changes on the run while avoiding the dreaded Sony MENU search...

Along the way, I broke my left shoulder. I compensated by buying a full frame Sony 24-240 lens so I could use my camera, and not have to change lenses. It took 2 months for my shoulder to heal, and then physiotherapy started. I kept shooting the whole time, but one handed.

yellowT2 thanks for your questions. I don't shoot weddings anymore; I wouldn't use this camera for that.. I do shoot sports sometimes, and landscapes a lot. The a6000 is a good camera. It meets my needs. Yes more recent cameras would be better. However, they are much more expensive.

I use shutter and aperture priority often.

yellowT2 your suggestions are very helpful! Thank you! and thanks to other posters.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

2mnycars
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 05, 2018 21:35 |  #9

Follow up

I'm still using my a6000
My Sony full frame lens, 24-240, is a delight though heavy

My RX100-2 meets my wider angle needs

Gary Fong's video is helpful, but confusing at times

Setting up MR was a necessity. I can quickly make setting changes

M1 is configured for action photos
M2 is configured for static scenes
M3 is set with Gary Fong's basic settings

My broken shoulder healed quickly. However, I have restricted motion.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

sponsored links

2,086 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sony a6000 settings
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.