Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D4 or 1Dx

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,081 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 18, 2017 00:32 |  #16

Personally I'd do the 5D4 too.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 18, 2017 01:14 |  #17

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18498642 (external link)
I don't think umphotography likes the 1D series. :lol:

-Joe

I'm not sure he's keen on modern canon lenses that don't live up to his expectations either.:lol:

Thanks UMP, I decided to accept your offer and ignore your post.;-)a

Vaginator9000

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,627 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 19, 2017 16:15 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18498897 (external link)
Why would you suggest a 1dx if the 5d4 is in the canon list for one of the best wedding camera? It seems very confusing, and appears to flip on the previous statements that the best Canon wedding cameras are the 1DX2 and 5D4.

There are countless wedding Photog logs recommending the 5d4. I fail to see how a camera that has an inferior low ISO DR and lower resolution wins out? I am always dealing with DR issues during weddings, and being able to underexpose to protect all highlights in dresses and flowers and pull shadows up, and love to have more resolution to work with (like many 5DS owners do), and I find the 5d4 to just be the perfect tool for that. I don't need 10fps, and don't need a marginally faster AF system for this. Longer battery life would be great though. I love the 1D series, but since having the 5D4, I have had little desire to pick another up.

After having used the new sensor, I refuse to ever go back to any of the old models, it is a feeling of relief not worrying about ETTR, it's very liberating.

The 5D4 even eeks out more DR or matches the 1DX2 at just about every ISO level.

I dont think that the inferior LOW ISO DR you mention is inferior at all. Again put them side by side and compare. After looking at the 5D4 files, I must say that I find them impressive with the ISO performance and ability to push the files w/o falling apart.........But compare a nicely exposed 5D3 v/s 5D4 and 1Dx1 file say at 6400 ISO from receptions...... Wow, there is not much difference at all........Until you get to 10000 ISO and then the 5D3 goes away and the 1Dx1 and 5D4 are the next bodies in canons line up that will work for these situations

So you have to ask yourself, what separated the bodies if the files are this close.......and they are very close

Its all about ISO and AF system performance when your above 6400 ISO

This is where the 1Dx AF systems takes the nod in my opinion.After using all 3, 1Dx1, 1Dx2 and a 5D4........1Dx1 is a better more accurate better customizable AF system than the 5D4 .....by a lot .....especially in the dark

I thought long and hard on the 1Dx1 when it dropped in price when the 1Dx2 was announced. After using both bodies a ton, Im so glad i have the 1Dx2. Never thought they could improve the AF as much as they did but its a significant jump in performance. And, the 1Dx1 is significantly better than the 5D4 with AF performance

I am really glad I got the 1Dx2. Many many reason as you have listed. Its a phenominal sensor. But after shooting a wedding with the 5D4 side by side with my 5D3 and 1Dx2, and after using the 1Dx1 side by side with a 1Dx2 and 1Dx1 and a 5D3 at 3 weddings and seeing how these AF systems actually perform in dark situations........I have good reasons to choose the 1Dx1 over a 5D4..........the properly exposed files BT a 1Dx1 and 5D4 are very close........but the superior AF system of the 1D cameras gives them the nod.

The price difference is $1500.00

I have been telling wedding photographers for years. The 1D series is NOT just a sports/Speed camera....its far far more than that.

I also know many many pros that are using the 5D4 and 5D3 bodies right now side by side. The only reason they are using the 5D4's over the 5D3's is ISO performance......these files are extremely close anywhere you can look at them. If your not going to be above 8000, and many guys are not, they are buying the 5D3's up........I concur with the thought process. and back to my original thoughts.....1Dx1 and 5D4 files are just tooooo close.......so I would opt for the better body and AF system

You might refer to Jeff Ascoughs blogs and FB boards to see what others are saying. But many are coming to same conclusions

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,890 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Nov 19, 2017 16:31 |  #19

To compare the low ISO capabilities, you have to pull up the shadows at low ISOs, so how easy is it to compare this without the same scene shot the same way with both?

There is almost a 2 stop difference in shadow recovery between the 5D4 and 1DX. This is an academic mathematical comparison, no samples are really needed to find this. The 5D4 is very close to the 1DX2 in this regard, it slightly beats it out, and for much less money.

The high ISO is indeed very close between the 5D4, 1DX, and 1DX2, but the 5D4 and 1DX2 both beat out the 1DX slightly, so again a win for the 5D4. Add the fact that the 5D4 has 50% more resolution which when you equalize resolutions, the 5D4 does even better.

The 5D4 has -3EV AF, and it works very, very well. It is very scary how it can focus in low light, so again for weddings, that works great. I have used the 5D4 for low light wedding, reception, drama, and stage events. AF for sports or anything moving is quite sufficient as well, 1D quality.

The only 2 negatives really would be battery life and FPS. The 1DX beats it out for that.

I have the funds to add the 1DX to the stables, but would NEVER do it. The only 1D series I am contemplating is the 1DX2, again, I won't go back to the old sensor. I admire your passion for the 1D series, but at this point where Canon has just started to catch up with the competition with DR and other improvements, I would always suggest the newer bodies/sensors. No doubt the 1DX is an outstanding body, but for years we have been lamenting the lack of DR compared to Sony and Nikon, and one of the reasons the 6D2 isn't making the splash the 6D did is because of the same lack of DR. I would suggest either the 1DX2 or the 5D4 to those that want the best FF, depending on budgets.

I am sure Shaun has enough info at this point to make a decision. ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
814 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 23, 2017 21:43 |  #20

I opted to pick up the 5d4 while the bundle is on sale for $2,849 after mail in rebate. I currently shoot with 6D so I am looking forward to the upgrade and will report back in a couple weeks with my thoughts.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 24-70 ii

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,081 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 24, 2017 00:07 |  #21

Solid upgrade. My guess is that you’ll love it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 23, 2017 17:04 |  #22

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18503006 (external link)
..will report back in a couple weeks with my thoughts.

4 weeks and counting. :)

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
814 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 23, 2017 17:13 as a reply to  @ chuckmiller's post |  #23

Once we get done with dinner I’ll report back with my thoughts so far. Only had a chance to use it a couple times so they’re still limited.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 24-70 ii

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
814 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by shaunmcfd.

Dec 23, 2017 20:50 |  #24

Here’s my very, very limited review after owning the 5d4 for a month. I’m a realtor and December has been surprisingly busy so I haven’t booked the first portraiture shoot this month.

I shoot a lot of real estate for myself and other agents but I have continued to use my 6D for that as I believe there would be no real benefit to using the 5d4. The only few shoots I have done is an indoor infant shoot where the lighting was good and a couple outdoor concerts where the lighting was obviously all over he place. When I was shooting concerts with the 6D I naturally used the center point as it was the strongest and have continued to do so with the 5d4. I have manually moved the focus point with the 5d4 just to have a different framing straight out of camera and to see how it would do compared to the 6D. I can say that where the 6D would be hit or miss with the outside points the 5d4 locked right on every time. One thing I never did with the 6D that I am doing with the 5d4 is putting it on auto iso and just shooting. I can’t say that the 6D wouldn’t have performed the same but I can tell you that I’m not worried about the 5d4 hitting 12,800 during a concert. I set that to be the limit last night and will go 25,600 next weekend to see how it does.

I absolutely did not want a touch screen as I wrongly attributed it to lower end cameras for some reason. I now know that not to be true as it makes adjusting settings a breeze. My extra button on the back is dedicated to iso and is great to have when I need to change on the fly and can keep the camera to my eye.

I really can’t wait to get outside and shoot some portraiture at low iso as I think that is one place this camera will shine. I do have one family shoot lined up next week so I will report back after I do with some samples. Below is a dropbox link to some shots of last nights concert. Iso was anywhere from 3200-12800. All were shot with the 5D4 and 70-200 ii wise open around 1/320.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …3W60QXHMFjV_G1t​YV-Ka?dl=0 (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,627 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 24, 2017 11:25 |  #25

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18525079 (external link)
Here’s my very, very limited review after owning the 5d4 for a month. I’m a realtor and December has been surprisingly busy so I haven’t booked the first portraiture shoot this month.

I shoot a lot of real estate for myself and other agents but I have continued to use my 6D for that as I believe there would be no real benefit to using the 5d4. The only few shoots I have done is an indoor infant shoot where the lighting was good and a couple outdoor concerts where the lighting was obviously all over he place. When I was shooting concerts with the 6D I naturally used the center point as it was the strongest and have continued to do so with the 5d4. I have manually moved the focus point with the 5d4 just to have a different framing straight out of camera and to see how it would do compared to the 6D. I can say that where the 6D would be hit or miss with the outside points the 5d4 locked right on every time. One thing I never did with the 6D that I am doing with the 5d4 is putting it on auto iso and just shooting. I can’t say that the 6D wouldn’t have performed the same but I can tell you that I’m not worried about the 5d4 hitting 12,800 during a concert. I set that to be the limit last night and will go 25,600 next weekend to see how it does.

I absolutely did not want a touch screen as I wrongly attributed it to lower end cameras for some reason. I now know that not to be true as it makes adjusting settings a breeze. My extra button on the back is dedicated to iso and is great to have when I need to change on the fly and can keep the camera to my eye.

I really can’t wait to get outside and shoot some portraiture at low iso as I think that is one place this camera will shine. I do have one family shoot lined up next week so I will report back after I do with some samples. Below is a dropboxnlink tonsome shots of last nights concert. Iso was anywhere from 3200-12800. All were shot with the 5D4 and 70-200 ii wise open around 1/320.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …3W60QXHMFjV_G1t​YV-Ka?dl=0 (external link)

Good Job

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 24, 2017 12:49 |  #26

ISO 32,000 on my 5D4 and I did not put a lot of effort into PP.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

9,612 views & 20 likes for this thread
5D4 or 1Dx
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.