Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Nov 2017 (Friday) 11:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unauthorized vendor via eBay

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,416 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2017 11:23 |  #1

Do you feel any better buying from an unauthorized vendor through eBay than directly from that vendor? That is, does eBay give any protection or is the vendor on their best behavior to protect their eBay seller account?

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,748 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 24, 2017 11:26 |  #2

Why would you buy from an unauthorized vendor at all?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

mike_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,416 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2017 11:28 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18503251 (external link)
Why would you buy from an unauthorized vendor at all?

Take a guess.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 24, 2017 12:07 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18503253 (external link)
Take a guess.

Ok, price. Why bother with unauthorized dealer when you can generally get better prices used with the same (NONE!) warranty. If the item is available at Canon Refurbished, you get a good price and a same-as-new warranty.

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,479 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 24, 2017 12:13 |  #5

Yes , if there were a middle man involved such as ebay or amazon id feel slightly better .. at very least i feel they'd be more inclined to honor a return policy.
I dont know that to be fact , just my logic

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

mike_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,416 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2017 12:25 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18503280 (external link)
Ok, price. Why bother with unauthorized dealer when you can generally get better prices used with the same (NONE!) warranty. If the item is available at Canon Refurbished, you get a good price and a same-as-new warranty.

Well the price I'm seeing is better than the used prices I've seen. The only Canon refurb price that beat it wound up being a mistake and would have cost more with sales tax.

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2017 12:37 |  #7

mike_d wrote in post #18503249 (external link)
Do you feel any better buying from an unauthorized vendor through eBay than directly from that vendor? That is, does eBay give any protection or is the vendor on their best behavior to protect their eBay seller account?

We always tell our readers is: if you're going to purchase from an unauthorized dealer, do it through eBay or Amazon where you are backed by that platform's buyer protection, in addition to using your credit card. Unauthorized dealers are a bit more brazen with customers who come in through their website (more aggressive upsells, more tricks.)

Also, make sure they're not a bait-and-switch dealer.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,334 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 24, 2017 13:00 |  #8

i would rather use ebay, and hopefully paypal...i feel like they're pretty good at protecting buyers if something is wrong

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 24, 2017 17:03 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Not a problem only if you know you are getting an imported version without any warranty from the manufacturers...Is generally cheaper...much cheaper. That's about it....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,041 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Nov 24, 2017 20:39 |  #10

mike_d wrote in post #18503286 (external link)
Well the price I'm seeing is better than the used prices I've seen. The only Canon refurb price that beat it wound up being a mistake and would have cost more with sales tax.

If the deal is 'too good to be true', it probably is NOT truly a 'good deal'. Perhaps they remove all factory accessories and sell them back to you! And if they offer a 'store warranty' you have to return the camera to that store for warranty claim...the issue is that often the legitimate importer will not honor warranty claims against goods which they did not import (or which the buyer did not buy while travelling abroad, with a valid purchase receipt)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,667 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 24, 2017 22:52 |  #11

There's a cost/benefit analysis that each person needs to consider, including the potential risks associated with buying from any reseller. But, in general, I find the eBay/PayPal buyer protection process to be more responsive and buyer-friendly than Amazon. Buying through eBay and paying with a credit card through PayPal affords levels of protection not available when you buy directly or through Amazon. Resellers never see your credit card information and, if necessary, disputes can be escalated from eBay to PayPal and finally your credit card issuer in the event of a problem.

As long as the reseller has an established history of positive feedback for similar items, I don't hesitate to buy through eBay if the price is right.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,748 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 25, 2017 05:23 |  #12

mike_d wrote in post #18503253 (external link)
Take a guess.

DUH!

No........really?

You want to roll the dice and buy something like this with no warranty.....knock yourself out.

That was the point that you clearly missed.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,334 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 25, 2017 12:02 |  #13

saea501 wrote in post #18503688 (external link)
DUH!

No........really?

You want to roll the dice and buy something like this with no warranty.....knock yourself out.

That was the point that you clearly missed.

People buy things all the time with no warranty...it's not that big of a deal, especially if it's canon's joke 1 year warranty...look at all the lenses you've bought with a warranty...how many times were you actually able to send them in for work within that warranty period?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mike_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,416 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 25, 2017 12:09 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #18503845 (external link)
People buy things all the time with no warranty...it's not that big of a deal, especially if it's canon's joke 1 year warranty...look at all the lenses you've bought with a warranty...how many times were you actually able to send them in for work within that warranty period?

At this point, 7 of my 8 lenses were purchased used as were my 5D3 and grip. The only Canon gear that's failed was a 7 year old 24-105 that I had purchased new.

sponsored links

1,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
Unauthorized vendor via eBay
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.