Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,362 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 22, 2017 14:28 as a reply to  @ post 18502088 |  #46

Well, timing and skill and practice certainly can help, but with 132-158" of ball travel between two consecutive frames (at 10fps and 12fps) is indicative that it is far more than simply frame rate!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,327 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2017 15:09 |  #47

I don't shoot a lot of these. Hoping to get out again. My buddies old timers league.

Warm up

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,327 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2017 15:11 |  #48

More warm up

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,327 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2017 15:13 |  #49

In the back the net. Second shot. Gotta protect the boys..

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 22, 2017 15:13 |  #50

Wilt wrote in post #18501902 (external link)
Capturing the ball in flight at one point vs. another is nevertheless mostly fortuitous coincidence, whether at 10 fps for 12 fps!
Assuming a pitcher throws at 90mph, the ball is moving 132fps or 1584 inches per second.

• So at 10 fps, the ball moves 158 inches between successive frames,
  • while at 12 fps the ball moves 132 inches between successive frames!

...so catching the ball at the bat or at the catcher's glove is mostly luck!

for me probably luck.. i don't shoot sports ..

but for those that do shoot sports on a regular basis.. I'm sure there are techniques to increase probability .. as having more fps increases probability .. so i think for a seasoned sports shooter its mostly skill and equipment

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,327 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2017 15:15 |  #51

I never tried to crop this before

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,327 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2017 15:19 |  #52

I had a lot of fun. Looking threw these and looking forward to the next outing.

Puck drop

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 22, 2017 15:22 |  #53

Capturing the ball in flight at one point vs. another is nevertheless mostly fortuitous coincidence, whether at 10 fps for 12 fps!
Assuming a pitcher throws at 90mph, the ball is moving 132fps or 1584 inches per second.

1584"/s * s/60frames gets me a frame every 26.4 inches out of my 80D. I'll get some video of my next Cubs game and see how it comes out. Assuming a 65" tall batting stance, I'll have about 97" of frame width. That should get me 3 frames with the ball in the frame for every pitch. Curious, I've never tried video at the ball park.

Wilt
41,362 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Nov 22, 2017 15:52 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #54

Not sure what you calculated.

The 80D has up to 7 frames/sec...so the sensor acquires a new frame each 1/7 sec.
If the baseball travels 1584" per second. between frames the ball has moved 226.28"

If you took a video at 24 frames/sec, the ball moves 66" between frames.

Extrapolating, at 240 frames/sec., the ball movement is reduced to 6.6" between frames, so any 'perfection' in capture of bat hitting ball or ball hitting glove is still prone to be 6" out of position.

If one is striving only to 'get the ball in the frame' (and not trying to get the ball touching the glove/bat) and the frame indeed is 97" wide, the chance of capturing a ball travelling 90mph within the 10-12 fps frame is is still 60-75% of the time

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by Bassat.

Nov 22, 2017 16:21 |  #55

Wilt wrote in post #18502159 (external link)
Not sure what you calculated.

The 80D has up to 7 frames/sec...so the sensor acquires a new frame each 1/7 sec.
If the baseball travels 1584" per second. between frames the ball has moved 226.28"

If you took a video at 24 frames/sec, the ball moves 66" between frames.

Extrapolating, at 240 frames/sec., the ball movement is reduced to 6.6" between frames, so any 'perfection' in capture of bat hitting ball or ball hitting glove is still prone to be 6" out of position.

If one is striving only to 'get the ball in the frame' (and not trying to get the ball touching the glove/bat) and the frame indeed is 97" wide, the chance of capturing a ball travelling 90mph within the 10-12 fps frame is is still 60-75% of the time

Bassat wrote in post #18502145 (external link)
1584"/s * s/60frames gets me a frame every 26.4 inches out of my 80D. I'll get some video of my next Cubs game and see how it comes out. Assuming a 65" tall batting stance, I'll have about 97" of frame width. That should get me 3 frames with the ball in the frame for every pitch. Curious, I've never tried video at the ball park.

I stated video at 60fps. I'm not sure what kind of IQ I'll get pulling frames from 60fps video. Cubs don't play until April so I've got plenty of time.

Wilt
41,362 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Nov 22, 2017 16:26 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #56

OK, understood.

30 fps at 1594"/sec means ball moves 52.8" between frames. So a single frame has 54% chance of having the baseball within the width of the frame when the camera is holding the batter stationary within the frame.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 22, 2017 16:49 |  #57

Wilt wrote in post #18502189 (external link)
OK, understood.

30 fps at 1594"/sec means ball moves 52.8" between frames. So a single frame has 54% chance of having the baseball within the width of the frame when the camera is holding the batter stationary within the frame.

Understood? Curious. I'd like a puff or two of whatever you are smoking today. :) 60fps should yield the numbers I posted.

(OK, OK! I did edit the numbers almost immediately after posting. You probably saw the first edition.)

Wilt
41,362 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 22, 2017 16:56 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #58

OK, you changed 30 fps to 60 fps...NOW (I think) I understand

1594/60 = 26.4" lateral change of position between frames

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,327 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2017 22:49 |  #59

The shots I posted where with the 7D2 - 12,000 ISO at 8 FPS. Next time I'm going to try my 5D4 for better IQ.

Image Editing OK

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 24, 2017 16:07 |  #60

What you’ve just illustrated is that, even with the the most advanced camera and the best lenses, you still have to know where to point it and when to shoot. The ability to do that consistently is called experience, not luck.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links

15,666 views & 71 likes for this thread
7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.