Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sport Camera

Coach07
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2017

Nov 23, 2017 11:16 |  #1

I looking to up grade from my canon 50d to something around 1000.00 or a little more for taking sports pictures in bright sun light to Friday night lights games.

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 23, 2017 11:20 |  #2

A little stretch might put you into a 5D3.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,702 posts
Gallery: 1093 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 23, 2017 12:02 |  #3

1DIV goes for around $1k now.

Otherwise, 7D2.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 23, 2017 16:56 |  #4

1D4 or 7D2. My preference is the 1D4.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

blksporty
227 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 23, 2017 23:53 |  #5

About 5 years ago I went from a 50d to the 1dmk4. With the price drop on the mk 4's they are now a great buy. You will be amazed at the difference from the 50d, the files clean up much better, I shoot inside a lot and could never get the 50d to work very well in low light.

Gear:
1D mkIV x 2, 24-70LII, 70-200 2.8 non IS, 100-400, 50D, Flash's and other stuff

UTgws
172 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 24, 2017 13:59 |  #6

Another for the 1Dmk4, for the dollar it would be hard to beat. I am using 2 in some pretty poorly light high school stadiums that push ISO to 12800 quite often. While they are noisy, with a little work they clean up to be usable. The 7Dmk2 would give similar results but I like the 1.3 crop of the 1Dmk4 better than the 1.6 of the 7Dmk2.

Gary
Started shooting sports in high school in 1975, after high school, took a 35 year nap from photography and picked it back up in 2012 and getting more serious with the art.
Gear - Some Canon camers and lenses.

Bilingue
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 24, 2017 23:27 |  #7

I'm looking to buy a cheap telephoto lens for
my canon T3i.
My son started playing soccer in HS just want to know the difference between the photo lenses Canon 70/200 f2.8 vs Canon 70/200 f4L
I just found out an Opportunity. The person is selling a 70/200 f2.8 in $500 dlls but he said the lens got the diafragma changed by authorized dealer in this year and he has all the papers.
I know the lens 70/200 f4L is lighter, and CHEAPER but I just want to know which one is better for me. I'm an amateur in photography.
Thank you!

pat.kane
598 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by pat.kane. (3 edits in all)

Nov 25, 2017 14:26 as a reply to  @ Bilingue's post |  #8

HS soccer means he's likely playing at night or at least at dusk. Given that I'd go with a f/2.8 lens. If you had a better camera with great high ISO performance, you could consider a f/4 lens, but you don't. Please realize your T3i is going to be challenged with quickly acquiring focus in lower light. Your lens reach also won't be that great so you'll need to wait for the action to come to you, but those are the trade-offs you have to make on a budget.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,629 views & 1 like for this thread
New Sport Camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.