Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 13:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quadcopter / Drone for photography - Opinions

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,033 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 25, 2017 13:41 |  #1

So I’m looking to get a drone as a toy/photography item. What triggered this was the $200 off GoPro Karma deal. I started thinking if you looked at the value proposition they offer looks really good; you get an action camera that sells for $400-500 (depending on model purchased) and a handheld gimbal (retails for $300, not sure what it’s true value would be) and then for only $200 more, you are getting a quadcopter/drone with controller.

After a day of watching videos/reviews/compari​sons and considering the things I would primarily do with it (aside from just play with it), I’m left wondering if the compromises GoPro made outweigh the versatility they bring with their solution when compared to what seems to be the big dog in the game; the DJI Mavic Pro.

Just curious if any here who are more into photography but maybe got a drone to play with/photograph or take video with could share their experiences. I am still thinking the Karma is the one for me as I see myself using the handheld gimbal for other kinds of videos with the family as well as the drone/quad for more creative footage and trying it out for sunset shots in suburbia, where I can’t easily get up high enough to get above houses, buildings, etc but a quad would easily give me some better perspective for these shots. On the latter, I saw one review stating the DJI had a roughly 35mm eq lens while the GoPro was more like 16mm. But now I see GoPro has a “linear” setting that eliminates some of the fish eye.

I don’t know. Just spewing some of the things I’ve been pondering on the topic to see if others have anything to share. Thanks!

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L II + 24-70L II | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link)
Sony A7R iii | FE 35/2.8 ZA + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8 | For Sale -> Sony A7R ii
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

sponsored links
Colorado ­ CJ
666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2017 14:19 |  #2

Forget the Karma. Go with the Mavic. It is a MUCH better "Drone" in every way. I have one, I just need to use it more.

Here's a .6 second shot I took over my town a few weeks ago.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/26225155949_94f2321903_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FXqM​cc  (external link) Evening Over Loveland (external link) by Andrew Marjama (external link), on Flickr

My Photography Website
http://andrewmarjamaph​otography.com (external link)

TreeburnerCT
417 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Nov 26, 2017 17:32 |  #3

I agree, the Mavic is a different animal than the cheaper GoPro carrying alternatives. If you can swing it the Mavic can handle significant amounts of wind plus it folds up small enough to fit in a backpack and is super easy to fly. Being able to see and control the camera in real time makes such a huge difference when trying to get the shot you want. HIGHLY recommend the Mavic, if you can afford it you will not be sorry!

-Joe

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4390/35628671194_666860eaab_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Whof​Eo  (external link) Mavic at Booths Memorial Park (external link) by Joe Eckert (external link), on Flickr

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,033 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 26, 2017 19:59 |  #4

Well I took your advice and went for the Mavic. I'm just waiting for the batteries to charge now. I got the Fly More Combo for $150 off on the weekend deals. Getting really excited to try it out.

Why kind of reactions do you get to these things? Where do you go to fly it? I live in suburbia and I really want to get up above to get some sunset shots. There is some farm land not far away so I can always go up from my house and then just cross the street. Or do you try to keep it on the same piece of property you are on? Lots of etiquette questions at this point.

Thanks. Can't wait to get some footage and have some pictures to share!

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L II + 24-70L II | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link)
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,335 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 26, 2017 21:09 |  #5

I would enjoy one of those Mavic drones to document this redwood more thoroughly, flying around it's canopy.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods2/huge/Grogan_1_12mdv.jpg

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

TreeburnerCT
417 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Dec 01, 2017 15:08 |  #6

I have not had any issues with neighbors complaining about either the noise or me flying over their property, but most people don't even notice it's up there once you're up above 200 ft. I added the new platinum props to mine and it does make a difference in the noise, not so much the volume but more lowering the frequency so it's not as noticeable. Make sure if you're flying within 5 miles of an airport you call the ATC to let them know you'll be flying and to make sure there's no NOTAMs for the area and time, and if anyone questions you just be polite and explain that you are flying within the parameters of the law and that if they are worried about spying they have nothing to worry about since the camera can't zoom and would need to be literally feet away in order to capture a clear image of a person. Not exactly a great spy tool! Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,033 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 01, 2017 19:47 |  #7

My first decent raw capture and process. I love this thing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 04, 2017 11:17 |  #8

@randy98mtu - congrats on your new bird! I've been plying a Phantom 3 Pro since it came out and recently upgrade to a P4P. I wish it was a portable as the Mavic, and as quiet, but the P4P does capture nice images.

A local drone buddy has had a Mavic for a year. He specializes in manual multirow panos with it and has printed up to 5 foot long images on metal that look outstanding. You may want to play with panos as you get into it. Also, I've seen a lot of successful long exposures up to about 3 seconds that look great.

If you aren't aware of it, there is a great free forum for your aircraft: www.mavicpilots.com (external link)

Happy flying!

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links

3,162 views & 3 likes for this thread
Quadcopter / Drone for photography - Opinions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.