Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Nov 2017 (Monday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Misconceptions about Adobe CC

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 26, 2017 09:13 |  #16

More info

https://www.lightroomq​ueen.com …m-cc-vs-classic-features/ (external link)

1.You get Dehaze.

2. You get the new embedded and sidecar import preview build option that I mentioned. It uses the Jpeg preview your camera uses to view your images on your LCD. You can import faster and do some quick culling while the actual previews build. You can tell it to replace embedded previews with standard previews during idle time.

3. Develop Local Adjustment Masking (Range Mask). Scroll down for further info.

https://www.lightroomq​ueen.com …-classic-october-2017-70/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,145 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 26, 2017 09:45 |  #17

Methodical wrote in post #18504317 (external link)
I am still on LR5 and since I don't fully understand the CC versions (need to research so I am better informed before making the switch), I will probably upgrade to LR6 to hold me over until I can no longer function with the stand alone version. All the gear I have will be functional under the older versions forever I guess. To be honest, when I read what's new in LR6, there's really nothing there that I use.

That is exactly what I did, and have begun testing alternatives to Lightroom since I will never move to Adobe's subscription model. I figure I have 2-3 years before I will have any equipment that is not supported by LR6, so I have plenty of time to try out alternatives.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 26, 2017 09:56 |  #18

Yes there is no rush to do this and is not for everyone. I decided to because I got tired of converting to DNG for PS. I know I can send an image to PS via LR but I'm happy that everything is back the way it was. I had a 3rd party dehaze plugin but I prefer the built in one.

I looked at my expenses at Adobe since 2012 and it averaged out to about $80 a year with the purchase of LR5 and the upgrades. We went out for supper last night and spent almost $80. As for the plan - I paid for the whole year and forgot about it.

I'm not taking it with me and if we die in a plane crash my nephew gets most of it. I want to burn through it before I'm wearing depends, sitting in personal care home and smiling a lot. He can go out and put in the years like I did :-)

Image Editing OK

Lumens
428 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 26, 2017 12:08 |  #19

There are many options for those who don't care for the Adobe "permanent monthly bill" model. Capture one, On1 Raw, and ACDSee all have Digital Asset Managers to compete with LR and Luminar will have one soon. Other products like Affinity, Pictorial, Topaz, etc. all work very well too. Personally I prefer Luminar editing and development modules over the others including LR so I am looking forward to them coming out with their DAM.

I have downloaded and tried all of them, they are all very good products. I believe which to choose can be very much a personal decision. Yes, there are many misconceptions about Adobe right now, I suspect due to VERY POOR marketing. After all a name like "Classic" just screams "Oldie but a goodie", Antique, or "Good but past its usefulness", etc. The definition is more "Best there is", but the name just oozes something completely different. It doesn't take a genius to come up with a better name, even "LR Creative Cloud" & "LR Creative Client" would speak so much better for the future of the product.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 26, 2017 12:29 |  #20

Of course there are. I want to be very clear here. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use Adobe products or update to the plan. I couldn't care less what anyone else uses and Adobe does not need my help.

I was dead set against the plan until I learned I did not have to use the cloud. The words Creative Cloud stops you in your tracks. I have noticed there has been a lot incorrect information regarding the cloud. I have read "they force you to use the cloud".

My only reason for posting is what if someone else may in interested because of the DAM, etc but reads that Adobe will steal your files and hold you ransom later. I have read that as well. I have read it all.

This thread is strictly to present the facts about the cloud. If you don't want to use the cloud for file storage - you don't have to.

That's it. If you still have concerns about the cloud then don't get it. If $10 a month is too outrages, the plan just does not sit well with you, you only need LR and paying for PS and other software offered with the plan, there is other less expensive software out there, etc - those are all good reasons not to get it.

Image Editing OK

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,145 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 26, 2017 14:46 |  #21

digital paradise wrote in post #18504355 (external link)
I looked at my expenses at Adobe since 2012 and it averaged out to about $80 a year with the purchase of LR5 and the upgrades. We went out for supper last night and spent almost $80. As for the plan - I paid for the whole year and forgot about it.

I'm not taking it with me and if we die in a plane crash my nephew gets most of it. I want to burn through it before I'm wearing depends, sitting in personal care home and smiling a lot. He can go out and put in the years like I did :-)

I evaluated what I spent on Lightroom, as well, and found I was spending $75 - $80 every 2.5 - 3 years for upgrades, so the subscription model at $120 per year is about quadruple the price for me. I had not upgraded from LR5.7 to LR6 because Adobe did not add any features I cared about. I had planned on upgrading to LR7, but Adobe will not sell me an upgrade for $80 as is the past.

Like you, I can certainly afford the $120 per year, but I do not consider that the point. I never believe in paying for things I consider overpriced, and I do not believe that Lightroom is worth a price increase of 400% in my case, especially considering there has been little improvement in the application for several years now. Also, since Adobe backed out of their promise to continue offering a perpetual license for Lightroom, I do not trust them to not force everyone to a cloud-only version in the future and once again jack up the price with additional online storage fees.

As the old saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Nov 26, 2017 15:53 |  #22

Scott M wrote in post #18504552 (external link)
I evaluated what I spent on Lightroom, as well, and found I was spending $75 - $80 every 2.5 - 3 years for upgrades, so the subscription model at $120 per year is about quadruple the price for me. I had not upgraded from LR5.7 to LR6 because Adobe did not add any features I cared about. I had planned on upgrading to LR7, but Adobe will not sell me an upgrade for $80 as is the past.

Like you, I can certainly afford the $120 per year, but I do not consider that the point. I never believe in paying for things I consider overpriced, and I do not believe that Lightroom is worth a price increase of 400% in my case, especially considering there has been little improvement in the application for several years now. Also, since Adobe backed out of their promise to continue offering a perpetual license for Lightroom, I do not trust them to not force everyone to a cloud-only version in the future and once again jack up the price with additional online storage fees.

As the old saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

You gotta do what you gotta do. :-) If they hike the price I know where the Adobe door is. I'm not committed and will give them a year.

Image Editing OK

inwardphoto
167 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 26, 2017 18:22 |  #23

Basically being lazy is what’s keeping me with Lightroom. I’ve got plug ins and everything to get processed photos where I want them with one click. (With exception of here). As the other programs mature, I expect less reason to keep Adobe’s cofffers full.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 26, 2017 18:29 |  #24

I understand people wanting to make a move. For me personally though I just don't see the reason to abandon at this point. I also HIGHLY doubt they would push everyone to the cloud for image storage. It is too much data and too low bandwidth to do that effectively on a large scale...at least at the current time. If it ever gets to that point in the future I will have to reconsider my stance.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 26, 2017 19:06 |  #25

jcothron wrote in post #18504709 (external link)
I understand people wanting to make a move. For me personally though I just don't see the reason to abandon at this point. I also HIGHLY doubt they would push everyone to the cloud for image storage. It is too much data and too low bandwidth to do that effectively on a large scale...at least at the current time. If it ever gets to that point in the future I will have to reconsider my stance.

That is just fear mongering running amuck at other sites. In all honesty it almost seems like there are trolls planted to do this because no matter what anyone says there are no facts to back that, only speculation. So who cares of they do try to push only cloud storage. You will get an announcement. I'll be the first to find the end subscription button if I don't like it.

There is no big conspiracy to fool people. They announced that LR6 will get no more updates in 2018 and will eventually phase out purchasing it like they did with PS. Who would by it anyway. If you get a new camera that was released in 2018 it won't read RAW files. Who will spend $150 and be happy using DNG.

Image Editing OK

Nick5
Goldmember
3,054 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 27, 2017 09:19 |  #26

digital paradise wrote in post #18495473 (external link)
I have read about some concerns about the cloud so I thought I'd sum it up a bit. Lots of very good and new developers coming out. If the only thing that prevents anyone from looking into LR or upgrading from LR6 are cloud concerns this may be helpful. If your principles go against the subscription model that is another
story :-)

There will be no Stand Alone version of LR7. LR6.13 was the latest update and there might be one more. As of 2018 there will be no more updates.

LR CC 2015.13 is the original subscription version. I suspect like LR6 there will be no more updates as of 2018.

LR CC version 1 is a new product which is intended for mobile devices that is cloud-based storage only. You don’t have download it if you don’t want to use it.

LR CC Classic 7 is the new subscription version of LR6 that you download and use on your system just like LR6. There is no difference between the two. You are not editing in the cloud.

• You do not have to use cloud storage if you don’t want to. You can store your RAW files wherever you
want to locally – just like you did with LR6. If you also want to use cloud storage it is up to you.

• If you choose to cancel subscription you can continue to use LR except the Develop/Map modules and
syncing are disabled.

• Adobe can’t hold you ransom if they decide disable all of LR. Your files are not stored in the Catalogue.
The Catalogue is just a history of your adjustments. If you are concerned export your edited Jpegs, etc,
store them locally and you will have them and your original RAW files which Adobe has no access too.

• I store my RAW files on an external drive. I can make 100 adjustments to one and later using Canon’s
DPP open that file and make adjustments. It does not effect the LR adjustments because you are not
doing anything with the catalogue.

LR Catalogue system.

Once you place the catalogue on your HD or external drive then everything points to it. As an example I opened my external drive and found my RAW file folder (not the catalogue) and renamed it. I went back to LR and there were question marks beside all my files.

Since I did not rename it using LR it was still looking for the original name. I went back and replaced the original name. Using LR I renamed it and when I went back to the external drive the name was changed. This applies to moving files or folders as well. If you move them using your OS and not LR it is not the software’s fault. It was not informed of the move.

You can access your RAW files with any other software you like and make as many adjustments you like as long as the RAW files location or it’s folder is not moved. You can save your finished work wherever you want to.

You can move your catalogue’s location as long as you use LR.

I have many folders where I keep my RAW files that were never exported into LR. I can move or rename them using the OS because there is no link to LR. I have had no issues with the catalogue since getting LR 4 years ago. It just takes an initial adjustment to remember to follow a few important steps.

Thanks Digital for taking the time to lay this all out.
You should send Adobe an invoice for your time in for creating confusion in the product naming.
Having LR 6 "Hard Copy" installed and liking it, I am going to sit back as well and continue to use as is for now.
If Canon should release say a 5D Mark V or 1Dx Mark III in the near future, then it will be the time to move on.
As an old, happy, Apple Aperture user, I don't want to have to "Move" again.
Or is now the time for Canon to invest and create their own "DPP DAM"? From capture to print in one nice workflow in one nice house with support. And not free like DPP, but a purchase item.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 28, 2017 10:22 |  #27

Nick5 wrote in post #18505062 (external link)
Thanks Digital for taking the time to lay this all out.
Or is now the time for Canon to invest and create their own "DPP DAM"? From capture to print in one nice workflow in one nice house with support. And not free like DPP, but a purchase item.

I don't thinks so. They're a product company, not a software company even though they do DPP, it's not extravagant nor does it need to be. To do a full DAM system they would need a completely new team and be competitive in the software arena. Most companies don't want to take this on if it's not in their wheelhouse to start with.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Nov 28, 2017 11:18 |  #28

I agree that their would not be any motivation to develop a DAM system unless Canon charged for it and now they are competing with others with something else. DPP is pretty good for a free software and if I had no other choice I would not have issues using it. DLO on it's own is unique and I'm not sure if anyone else provides that level of digital deconvolution.

Image Editing OK

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (4 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2017 10:26 |  #29

Scott M wrote in post #18504552 (external link)

I'm using Lightroom 6. I don't use PS, so like you I refuse to pay $120 a year for a product that doesn't add many functional updates from version to version, and which in the past only cost me $80 for the 2 1/2 years or so between versions. As a result I will continue to use my copy of LR 6 along side the new DXO Photolab package which is an upgrade to OpticsPro 11 . There is even a plug-in so I can go back and forth between the two. In some respects I think DXO Photolab is superior although it's less functionally rich than LR, a bit quirky at times, and it's more expensive. It is, however, a perpetual license. So far I've found the results I get from DXO Photolab to be generally superior to Lightroom's and much faster to achieve. I wish there was a hybrid of the best features of both. I don't want to hi-jack this thread and turn this into a review of DXO Photolab. When I have a little more experience in it, I will review it and compare it to Lightroom.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,300 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 30, 2017 09:00 |  #30

Im on the Photography plan, but hardly ever use Photoshop. I wish there was an option to have maybe more storage and not PS. Still its hardly going to break the bank each month.

My one BIG issue i have with all this is i cant get LR CC through the normal channels. Although im supposed to have it as part of my subscription it never shows up in the Adobe CC application no my PC.
Its specific to my PC and not my account. Logging in on a different computer shows it, and logging in with a different account on my PC doesn't, no matter what account i use.

I have to keep it updated on my work PC and then copy the folders to a USB stick and take them home. A bit of a pain, although at the moment i dont really have much use for this program.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sponsored links

21,625 views & 17 likes for this thread
Misconceptions about Adobe CC
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.