Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Jan 2010 (Monday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mark IV Owners Thread! (it's time)

RhodyPhotos
868 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 12, 2017 20:15 |  #5926

Magnus3D wrote in post #18494803 (external link)
I have been doing some testing this weekend and the camera seems to output a lot of out of focus/missed focus shots. That's not quite what i were expecting.. the hitrate has been about 15-25% only which is pretty awful to be honest. Perhaps i need to spend more time with it and test it on different subjects in different situations with different settings than what i have done so far, but from what i can gather now it's sadly underperforming. :(

/ Magnus

Start with clearing out the custom settings. What have you been shooting? To start with try shooting static stuff (flowers etc.) before moving to more challenging situations. There is a slight learning curve involved with this camera.

CC always welcome.

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,864 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 13, 2017 07:17 |  #5927

Magnus3D wrote in post #18494803 (external link)
I have been doing some testing this weekend and the camera seems to output a lot of out of focus/missed focus shots. That's not quite what i were expecting.. the hitrate has been about 15-25% only which is pretty awful to be honest. Perhaps i need to spend more time with it and test it on different subjects in different situations with different settings than what i have done so far, but from what i can gather now it's sadly underperforming. :(

/ Magnus

Maybe it's front or back focusing?

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,375 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 14, 2017 11:10 |  #5928

I have done a full system reset of all settings, custom and standard camera settings. It was the first thing i did when the camera arrived. Firmware has also been updated to the latest one.

What i have shot so far are a bit of everything, from cats to animals at a local zoo. Both in daylight and poor indoor lighting. Still i feel the AF is not keeping up with me, it locks on but it's still not in focus regardless of which lens i shoot with. Or at least very few shots are in focus.

It looks like it's both back and front focusing sometimes, not all the time but i get the feeling it's not on target all the time. But i should dig deeper into this and do a proper test soon under more controlled conditions.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

CH_Devin
581 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 15, 2017 05:45 |  #5929

A group portrait and an action shot with the 1D4~

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

50-110mm.

CH_Devin
581 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 15, 2017 17:38 |  #5930

more from SF

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

50-110mm.

the ­ black ­ fox
786 posts
Gallery: 519 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 19, 2017 04:24 |  #5931

Magnus3D wrote in post #18496228 (external link)
I have done a full system reset of all settings, custom and standard camera settings. It was the first thing i did when the camera arrived. Firmware has also been updated to the latest one.

What i have shot so far are a bit of everything, from cats to animals at a local zoo. Both in daylight and poor indoor lighting. Still i feel the AF is not keeping up with me, it locks on but it's still not in focus regardless of which lens i shoot with. Or at least very few shots are in focus.

It looks like it's both back and front focusing sometimes, not all the time but i get the feeling it's not on target all the time. But i should dig deeper into this and do a proper test soon under more controlled conditions.

/ Magnus

oh dear ,I would take it back to where you bought it ,just had this with mine and returned to shop ,they came back with its a uneconomic repair and have refunded me in full .

SO no1 I will unfortunately have to leave this group as I have now replaced it with a brand new 80D .

no2 your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine ,close up shots it was fine anything over 30 foot away and it was a mush 80% of the time .good luck with it

as Of January 2019 ,Panasonic G80/85 , Panasonic 12-60 , Panasonic Leica 100-400 , Nikon D300S , sigma 150-600C , Nikkor 50mm f1.4 ais.m/f ,vivitar 200mm f 3.5 m/f Large c/f tripod ,jobu gimbal plus a ton of bitzas , all items subject to change on a whim

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,375 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 19, 2017 13:48 |  #5932

I'm back again! thanks for your reply the black fox, i have reconsidered sending it back. But then again i'm a stubborn man and i can't give up that easily on this camera. It simply has to work!

The other day i took my rocketblower and blew the insides of the camera clean until my face turned blue.. :) odd enough now it seems to set focus better and more accurately than before. Why.. i have no good answer unless the dirt were blocking something crucial like the AF sensor or something. I still need to give it a bit more time to test it and to verify this, but from what i can see it looks like it's working as it should now.

Two example shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

/ Magnus

Itsed65
Goldmember
3,107 posts
Gallery: 1522 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2017 20:57 |  #5933

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4525/37816854684_498131acc6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZBKg​nW  (external link)
Hawk Tree (external link) by lennycarl08 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 Sony A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

the ­ black ­ fox
786 posts
Gallery: 519 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 21, 2017 03:14 as a reply to  @ Magnus3D's post |  #5934

unfortunately both your example shots are close ups ,which mine excelled at and why it took me so long to verify a fault ,like you I'm stubborn .but take some longish range shots then check the focus and the keeper rate .then go from there .good luck

as Of January 2019 ,Panasonic G80/85 , Panasonic 12-60 , Panasonic Leica 100-400 , Nikon D300S , sigma 150-600C , Nikkor 50mm f1.4 ais.m/f ,vivitar 200mm f 3.5 m/f Large c/f tripod ,jobu gimbal plus a ton of bitzas , all items subject to change on a whim

jeffcranwell
609 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 26, 2017 07:55 |  #5935

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4526/24782428758_d9192a1177_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DKWq​Es  (external link) TomTom (external link) by Jeff Cranwell (external link), on Flickr

Eos 1D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS MKII USM Canon EF 16-35mm F/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm Macro F/2.8L IS USM

Juggernaut
100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 28, 2017 05:19 |  #5936

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Juggernaut
100 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 28, 2017 05:21 |  #5937

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 171 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 30, 2017 21:20 |  #5938

The Fridge

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Methodical's gallery.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

squashed
Goldmember
3,977 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 01, 2017 23:34 |  #5939

Fun times and then the dog showed up

HOSTED PHOTO

1D MK IV Sony A7 III EOS R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,375 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 14, 2017 14:03 |  #5940

Hi again, it's me.. :)

After having spent a month with this camera i sadly had to return it to the store from where i bought it. The problems mainly with it's autofocusing and general incosistency made it a unreliable tool to work with. I just can't have a camera which i can't trust , even my old 1Ds Mark II was more reliable than this one and that camera was pretty bad but atleast it nailed focus.

So i'm back to square one again and still looking for a new primary camera. Sigh..

Thanks for your help and support during the time i visited your thread. See you guys around on the forum.

/ Magnus

sponsored links

1,520,466 views & 3,827 likes for this thread
-=1D Mark IV Owners Thread! (it's time)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.