Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 05, 2017 21:20 |  #1366

inkista wrote in post #18489568 (external link)
Just tried it with X100T (set to use an external speedlight on the hotshoe and mechanical shutter), and didn't fire at all. Hilariously, power settings changes on the app are communicated to the flash and TEST on the app fired the TT685C. Just no sync.

Ok thanks. So the APP mode is not working with everything then either.

I was just thinking about this, and the APP mode couldn't be single firing pin anyway because the HSS function still works.

So what we basically need is a separate single firing pin mode, allowing remote power (& Zoom etc) control.

And a single firing pin APP mode (added to the "SHOOT" custom function).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links
inkista
569 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by inkista. (2 edits in all)

Nov 05, 2017 23:25 |  #1367

elv wrote in post #18489587 (external link)
Ok thanks. So the APP mode is not working with everything then either.

Well, except....

I just tested it on my Panasonic GX7. And on that camera, the XPro-C seems to work reliably as a single-pin manual-only w/power control trigger. And using APP mode also works as manual-only w/power control. The iOS app is able to control the light either directly or through the XPro.

So, maybe it's just the X100T hotshoe? The X1T-F v03 update added X100T/X100F "HSS" compatibility (not really HSS, as it maxes out at 1/1250s, but then leaf shutters don't really work with HSS), so there may be something weirdly variant about the leaf-shutter Fuji hotshoes.

BTW, while testing with the X100T, something got seriously banjaxed in the RF communication. The A1 and TT600 cleared themselves of the issue by turning them off and back on, but the TT685C did not. It only listened to XPro explicit settings (the ones I put in before going to APP mode were retained) and taking the XPro out of APP and turning it off couldn't get the TT685C to listen to the A1/app, despite resetting everything (phone, A1, TT685, XPro-C). Whatever bizarre state it was in didn't get cleared until I put it into RF slave mode to the TT350-O and fired it as slave a few times. I suspect that since the MFT and Fuji hotshoes have contact/pin patterns that match Canon's, some signal combination happened that was...unexpected and completely fubared for a Canon flash foot.

I was just thinking about this, and the APP mode couldn't be single firing pin anyway because the HSS function still works.

It does? How do you set HSS? I just assumed it didn't, because the iOS app doesn't have any place to set it, and once the XProC is in APP mode, you can't use it to make any setting changes.

So what we basically need is a separate single firing pin mode, allowing remote power (& Zoom etc) control.

And a single firing pin APP mode (added to the "SHOOT" custom function).

...not to mention some sub-$20 manual-only receivers in the X system. [grin]. Some folks would probably like to add in legacy manual-only lights (e.g., an Einstein), but getting a $40 full-on TTL/HSS X1R to do so seems like a waste. Something like an XTR16/XTR16s, (but without the power control dial) that has a hotshoe and a sync port output to cable to a light would be nice.

Also, apropos of nothing, I finally realized that the A1 actually has a strong magnet on the back [facepalm]. Yes, I'm that slow. It is now stuck to my fridge, because I keep forgetting where I put it. :-D

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 06, 2017 01:14 |  #1368

inkista wrote in post #18489637 (external link)
It does? How do you set HSS? I just assumed it didn't, because the iOS app doesn't have any place to set it, and once the XProC is in APP mode, you can't use it to make any setting changes.

Ok thanks.

In APP mode everything is disabled except for the SYNC and CH selection. So you can still select HSS, and SCS on the transmitter.

inkista wrote in post #18489637 (external link)
...not to mention some sub-$20 manual-only receivers in the X system. [grin].

Yes, I'm sure Godox are well aware of this. Though call me cynical, but its been to their advantage that even the X1 receivers do not work as well as purchasing their own strobes with radio built-in for example.

Sometimes they are intentionally only providing the higher priced options (no Manual version AD200 or 360II for example), and other times they are intentionally cutting margins very fine to produce competitive options. So its hard to know when they will want to go one way or the other. At this stage I would think they are making the most of the X1 receivers while they can.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

inkista
569 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 06, 2017 14:10 |  #1369

elv wrote in post #18489655 (external link)
... In APP mode everything is disabled except for the SYNC and CH selection. So you can still select HSS, and SCS on the transmitter.

Oh, cool! Thanks!!

... call me cynical, but it's been to their advantage that even the X1 receivers do not work as well as purchasing their own strobes with radio built-in for example.

Cynical or not, I've had the exact same thought. The fact that it took over a year for the Sony X1R to arrive after the X1T-S was released had not escaped my notice. Terrific way to sell some speedlights.

...Sometimes they are intentionally only providing the higher priced options (no Manual version AD200 or 360II for example), and other times they are intentionally cutting margins very fine to produce competitive options. So it's hard to know when they will want to go one way or the other. At this stage I would think they are making the most of the X1 receivers while they can.

I also suspect this may be a reason why they haven't added the feature of using a Tx unit as a simultaneous Rx for shutter release and Tx for flashes, such as the Yongnuo options, because it means selling an additional unit. What they don't realize is that we'll just get a pair of RF-603IIs for the shutter release duty instead. :mrgreen:

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

SereneSpeed
792 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 06, 2017 19:08 |  #1370

The X Pro-c is much smaller than I expected. A nice surprise.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com/blog/ (external link) - Latest Blog Post!
https://www.instagram.​com/unabashed_beauty (external link)nsfw
https://www.instagram.​com/danbcreative (external link)new brand
https://www.instagram.​com/photography.on.the​.bay (external link)new 'side project'
https://www.instagram.​com/danielmwbuehler (external link)
http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 07, 2017 03:01 |  #1371

Received my X-Pro C and it looks really nice and I had a quick browse and try.

Points to be improved:

- the cover of the USB-C and Sync connector is really flimsy and does not stays closed so I have to put a piece of tape over it to keep it close
- minimal selectable value of flash power is now 1/256 and 1/128 and my Canon 430EX goes only back to 1/64 so if I go lower it stops working

Point that pleases me:

- the focus laser light has an closer pattern, at least that seem to me, which gives a better coverage in the centre
- the group buttons a working well but could be space a bit wider and it could be even be wider than the alignment with the text on the screen
- nice feel of the trigger and excellent left-hand control due to the sleek design and angle so the thumb can reach all the buttons (righthand is holding the camera)

Hope to test the interface soon and have some more positive feedback.

lonerider519
557 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 08, 2017 17:41 as a reply to  @ post 18488204 |  #1372

Great idea but how is the arm attached to the tripod ?

Canon 7D Mark2 gripped,Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60d gripped,EF 70/200 F2.8 L IS 11 USM EF-100-400 F4-5.6L IS II EF 50 f1.8 ,EF 100 2.8 usm ,EFS18-135, EF 24-105 F4 L usm ,Tamron 70-300 SP 4_5.6 Sigma 150-500 , Manfrotto 190x prob with a Jobu jr.3 , Manfrotto 681b monopod. flickr (external link)

mmmfotografie
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 09, 2017 04:54 as a reply to  @ lonerider519's post |  #1373

Screwed or clamped to the top of tripod. There seems to a screw in hole or mount.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,070 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 20, 2017 10:08 |  #1374

Have to say, very, very impressed with the X-Pro! managed to work out everything without even having to look at the manual..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Google+ (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)

tbdinh22
30 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 22, 2017 09:40 |  #1375

Is there a way to use HSS without pressing SYNC on XPro trigger?

I wish the trigger auto switch to HSS setting like the X1 trigger.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

williaty
110 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by williaty. (3 edits in all)

Nov 22, 2017 13:13 |  #1376

williaty wrote in post #18407857 (external link)
I've got a question I can't get an answer to. I'm planning on buying the Adorama-branded version of the AD200 plus the R2 (their version of the X1 discussed here) trigger to put on top of my Nikon D810. If I also buy a R2 receiver to place on the bottom of my old Nikon SB-800, can I:

1) Trigger the SB-800 in manual?
2) Adjust the power of the SB-800 in manual from the R2 trigger on top of my camera?
3) Use HSS with the SB-800?
4) Use iTTL with/without HSS and the SB-800?

Basically, I can find confirmation that the R2 trigger on my D810 coupled with the AD200 speedbricks will do all the fancy features. What I'm wondering is if I can use the R2/X1 radio system like a wireless SC-17 (or SC-28, 29, etc) to get full-fancy wireless control of the SB-800 at the same time.

So months ago I asked about using the R2/X1 with a Nikon SB-800 and I was told emphatically that it wouldn't work by a poster here while the vendor was saying it would work. I eventually go around to ordering a TX/RX set and they arrived today.

The SB-800 works perfectly in Manual, TTL, and TTL HSS (which Nikon of course calls iTTL-BL FP) with the Adorama Flashpoint R2 version of the TX and RX.

mmmfotografie
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 01, 2017 14:06 |  #1377

New firmware available for Nikon version of the X1.

To solve the problem that M value do not change when being output over 1/4 after the camera flash on the receive end is set to i-TTL mode and the receiver is set to M mode.

sdemul
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 02, 2017 05:30 |  #1378

Hi all,

I recently bought a Godox X1T & X1R and a TT685 flash to use with my Canon 80D. Works like a charm, except that my old Canon Speedlite 420EX does not work properly on the X1R. I hoped I could still use it as an ETTL flash.

Problems:
- it only fires a preflash, no main flash. Result: an underexposed photo
- HSS does not work (no flash at all)

The things I checked/tried:
- The 420EX works OK when I use it on camera (same aperture/shutterspeed/​scene): properly exposed photo.
- It also works OK as an optical slave (with the camera popup flash as master)
- Replaced the batteries
- I put the TT685 (in master mode) on the X1R to check if the X1R is functioning properly in ETTL mode. And it did.
- Moved the 420EX a bit back and forth in the X1R hotshoe, to check if it is perhaps an pin alignment problem
- Tried both ETTL mode and Gr mode (adding the 420EX to a group in ETTL mode)
- Also tried Manual flash mode (although 420EX only supports ETTL): no flash at all.

Does anyone know if the 420EX should work at all with the X1 trigger/receiver?

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Lotto.

Dec 02, 2017 05:49 |  #1379

Unfortunately no, need EX II and newer speedlites to work with the X1 system.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

jlafferty
196 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by jlafferty.

Dec 02, 2017 05:55 as a reply to  @ sdemul's post |  #1380

Given that I can't replicate your exact circumstances, I'm only making educated guesses at your options/issues.

My guess is that the 420ex doesn't support HSS because of your camera (I could be wrong); and/or that you might have to put the X1 into single pin mode or connect it via a sync cable and not hotshoe and the flash in manual; and at the end of the day the most effective solution (likely) would be to get a Godox manufactured speedlight to replace your Canon speedlight in the event you want the smoothest X1 integration.

https://support.usa.ca​non.com …page=content&id​=ART123285 (external link)

Current Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

375,785 views & 388 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.