Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 28 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for video editing software

HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2017 15:33 |  #1

Looking for some editing software. I have found some but don't know what to get. First I was looking at Filmora. Then I here it lags or wont sink up right all the time. Then I was told about AVS. I have not found too much on it. Then there is Adobe PR. It sound like way more than a beginner needs. Any pros and cons to any of these or new idea are welcome.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

sponsored links
crofter
194 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by crofter. (3 edits in all)

Nov 28, 2017 15:47 |  #2

Lightworks,the free version is very good.

https://www.lwks.com …=article&id=98&​Itemid=209 (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 28, 2017 15:50 |  #3

I use VSDC. It's free and fully functional. It's not as advanced as some others, but it's great for beginners, pretty simple, and lets me put music, voice overlay, splice clips, transitions, text overlay, etc, without having to basically take a college course just to learn how to open it. Watched a few YouTube videos from their tutorial stuff. Was up and running that day.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

HammerCope
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2017 16:13 |  #4

Not so worried about cost. The company I work for is wanting to make How To videos about our product. I've been challenged with getting all equipment and pricing found then everything else.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 28, 2017 16:16 |  #5

I like Lightworks.

IMO Lightworks is not as nice as Adobe but it is free, also I have had a problem with Premier pro on my current computer it has a bug and will not run on a decent amount of windows 10 machines. A bug Adobe has not fixed in more then a year.. Expensive with bugs ?

BurnUnit
777 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 29, 2017 15:14 as a reply to  @ HammerCope's post |  #6

I've been happy with the results I'm getting using Corel Videostudio on Win7. Some versions can be found in the $40 to $60 range and up. Has a decent set of effects and features above the bare minimum software. But be prepared for a bit of a learning curve, whatever you choose.

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,223 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 29, 2017 18:23 |  #7

http://www.openshot.or​g/ (external link)

gewb
670 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2017 21:06 |  #8

BurnUnit wrote in post #18506858 (external link)
I've been happy with the results I'm getting using Corel Videostudio on Win7.

Second that one. Been using VisualStudio for several years (since release 7) and find it fairly easy to use, much easier than the pro/semi-pro stuff I used years ago. Price is low and system requirements modest. Learning curve isn't very steep and there are lots of YouTube vids out there.

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

HammerCope
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2017 08:11 |  #9

Thanks everyone. After I spent 3 day reading and watching videos on how to do what they want. Also went to 2 camera stores pricing equipment. They have decided $1000 is too much to spend on equipment. In the company's wisdom they have decided to go with an outside company to produce their videos.

Pete

BurnUnit
777 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 01, 2017 10:26 |  #10

HammerCope wrote in post #18508113 (external link)
Thanks everyone. After I spent 3 day reading and watching videos on how to do what they want. Also went to 2 camera stores pricing equipment. They have decided $1000 is too much to spend on equipment. In the company's wisdom they have decided to go with an outside company to produce their videos.

Just out of curiosity, were they needing to make television broadcast quality videos? Or were they wanting to make fairly short videos for Youtube or online viewing?

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

Steven Wright

HammerCope
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2017 10:31 as a reply to  @ BurnUnit's post |  #11

Short YouTube and web viewing.

Pete

BurnUnit
777 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 01, 2017 15:11 as a reply to  @ HammerCope's post |  #12

I'd think that you could make a very watchable how-to video for online viewing with a good consumer grade video camera in 720HD. What makes many of these videos nearly unwatchable has more to do with how they're shot, rather than the camera being used.

In a lot of instances just using a tripod, some dedicated lighting and having a bit of patience would make all the difference. And none of the above would have to be terribly expensive.

Most important probably is how interested you are in getting involved in this project.  :p

Steven Wright

HammerCope
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 8 months ago by HammerCope.

Dec 01, 2017 19:49 as a reply to  @ BurnUnit's post |  #13

We have a cheap camera already. I priced tripod, lights, voice recorder, software and couple of other things I thought we might need. IT came out to be right around a $1000. I wanted to buy it local not on Amazon like they wanted to. Now instead they either want to hire a local guy or get corporate involve. That will make things much harder. At least that's what my boss and I think. So it went from wanting to be up and running in 2weeks to well lets hold off. It was to be my project to lead.

Pete

BurnUnit
777 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2017 00:37 as a reply to  @ HammerCope's post |  #14

Not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but what kind of camera do you already have? Does it have an external microphone jack? For less than $100 you can probably get a suitable mic or digital audio recorder.

If you need lighting for indoor shooting look into the LED portable shop work lamps at a big-box hardware stores. Or even some big CFL bulbs with clamp-on reflector work lamps. What kind of do-it-yourself projects would you be shooting? Do you even need to be able to pan the camera while shooting or can you shoot from a fixed camera position? If you don't need to pan you won't need a particularly expensive tripod with a fluid head. My Canon Vixia on a $15 tripod gives me better results than hand-held video shot with my 60D. As long as I don't have to tilt or pan.

If they're planning to make more than a handful of these videos it will probably cost them more than $1000 to have them professionally shot.

Steven Wright

tdlavigne
329 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Dec 05, 2017 05:38 |  #15

I'm a bit late to the party, but in case the OP ever gets the job or anyone else is interested: the free version of Davinci Resolve is great for editing in addition to color grading. I found it more intuitive and overall just easier to learn than Premiere.

sponsored links

6,122 views & 5 likes for this thread
Looking for video editing software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.