Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ADORAMA CANON 400mm f2.8 IS II price changes

this thread is locked
thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by thinkharder.

Dec 02, 2017 10:57 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #18508839 (external link)
'THEY' who are 'THEY'?

There are indeed many reputable photography retailers in the US, particularly B&H photo.

Yes you are correct on this . I had order the canon 400mm f2.8 IS II and canon 1DxII from B&H Photo 2 days ago.

My 17 years old son will have a great Christmas this year. :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

sponsored links
gossamer88
"something else"
1,379 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Dec 02, 2017 11:02 |  #17

thinkharder wrote in post #18508762 (external link)
They had post this CANON 400mm f2.8 IS II on craiglist for $7,999.99.

You lost me on craigslist. Adorama sells items on craigslist?

5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | iPhone X | 70-200mm IS II | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C
100mm 2.8 Macro | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22mm USM

flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,672 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2017 11:04 as a reply to  @ thinkharder's post |  #18

Poor attempt at some sort of jab, and you really should offer an apology, if you really take some time to rethink harder what really happened. You certainly don't have to, but a person of character would.

The facts are:

You were in the middle of getting info on a potential purchase, the lens was purchased by somebody else in that time and thus the Adorama's system (or a CS person) reset the inventory item to a very, very high price to denote it being out of stock, and you made assumptions that they relisted at a higher price, albeit mistyped. You then posted a slanderous post on POTN stating how they baited you and then switched something out, which didn't happen, and also that they were just trying to weasel more money out of you, again not the truth. You then tried to jab at Helen and Adorama on how you bought this elsewhere, which doesn't hurt them at all.

If I am wrong on any of this, please point out the discrepancies, and I will issue my own apology and correction. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2017 11:05 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Sorry I meant amazon.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,672 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2017 11:05 |  #20

gossamer88 wrote in post #18508855 (external link)
You lost me on craigslist. Adorama sells items on craigslist?

That threw me too, but then realized the erroneous info entered in the opening post. That should have been Amazon, not craigslist.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

thinkharder
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2017 11:19 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18508859 (external link)
Poor attempt at some sort of jab, and you really should offer an apology, if you really take some time to rethink harder what really happened. You certainly don't have to, but a person of character would.

The facts are:

You were in the middle of getting info on a potential purchase, the lens was purchased by somebody else in that time and thus the Adorama's system (or a CS person) reset the inventory item to a very, very high price to denote it being out of stock, and you made assumptions that they relisted at a higher price, albeit mistyped. You then posted a slanderous post on POTN stating how they baited you and then switched something out, which didn't happen, and also that they were just trying to weasel more money out of you, again not the truth. You then tried to jab at Helen and Adorama on how you bought this elsewhere, which doesn't hurt them at all.

If I am wrong on any of this, please point out the discrepancies, and I will issue my own apology and correction. ;)

LOL was this meant to be a joke? LMAO .

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,672 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2017 11:23 |  #22

thinkharder wrote in post #18508871 (external link)

No, and feel free to point out what is wrong in my assessment. Just keep in mind I am an Amazon seller and avid buyer, and know the Amazon marketplace very intimately, along with the different ways sellers manage inventory. The lens is still listed at $85K btw even though Adorama is aware of your post. If it was in error, it would be corrected by now. However, I know this to be a pretty common method of inventory control.

I won't have more to say at this point unless there is something I need to correct, I just hope you do the right thing. :)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 02, 2017 12:23 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

thinkharder wrote in post #18508871 (external link)

Yes, your post/thread is a joke. Fortunately, the joke is on you, whether you realize it or not. I knew (yes, knew) this thread was a joke before I finished reading the title. Adorama has a stellar reputation here on POTN, and I'd guess with the rest of the camera buying/using public also. Their most excellent CS representative, Helen Oster, appears magically in these pages to correct problems, real and imagined, that POTN users have with Adorama communications and/or purchases. Your problem doesn't even qualify as imagined. Your title does not fit the circumstances you describe.

I've done business with Adorama. One time, I had to change delivery AFTER an item had shipped. Adorama went out of their way to accomplish that for me. That kind of customer service warrants a fair degree of loyalty. Helen Oster was not involved in that issue. She didn't need to be. I made a (likely unreasonable) request. They handled it without a hiccup.

Helen Oster did get involved in an issue I had with sale pricing. Adorama put a lens on sale the day AFTER I purchased it. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I had a credit to my account the same day Helen Oster got involved. I'm sure the credit would have been granted anyway, but once Helen got on the trail, it was done in hours, not days.

You are barking up the wrong tree to disparage Adorama or Helen Oster on these pages. If you had a real complaint, Helen would help you.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 02, 2017 22:44 |  #24

DRAMA for nothing *LOL* Adorama is great.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,910 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 02, 2017 23:09 |  #25

There was a GFX & lens on sale at BH. I put into my cart, entered the credit card info and guess what, it didn't got through. Got the fraud alert email. And by the time I entered the other CC number, the camera was gone. Couldn't buy lens without the camera. So nothing. Can't blame B&H for that. There were probably some more folks who saw the same ad and were eager to buy it.

Now a few times I have talked with B&H or Adorama for that matter, they both have been super helpful and help you out with your order. For high ticket items, you can always call them and I wouldn't go through Amazon to buy those things. Buy directly. But that is just me.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,100 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 02, 2017 23:26 |  #26

bobbyz wrote in post #18509259 (external link)
There was a GFX & lens on sale at BH. I put into my cart, entered the credit card info and guess what, it didn't got through. Got the fraud alert email. And by the time I entered the other CC number, the camera was gone. ..

I had the exact same thing happen to me on Canon USA refurb site. I was trying to buy the rare and elusive reconditioned EF500mm f/4L IS II. The first time I came across one after months of waiting, my card got rejected and it was gone in a heartbeat.

It was over a year later I got the chance to try again, (they don't come up very often in the refurb store) and that time I used a different card!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,877 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 02, 2017 23:40 |  #27

THis is not a problem for online store alone, it happens at brick and mortar stores as well. I go shopping, see something I really wanted at a good price, waffle a bit, walk out and return later when I have convinced myself that I really did want it only to find the item gone.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2017 06:56 |  #28

The OP is 100% wrong on this in every way. There was one thing that wasn't addressed in that he claimed the same sku# was used. Well yeah, all lenses with a specific model number have to use the same sku# as that is how Amazon and any real store knows what the product is. You don't6 make up a separate number for each individual product of a certain model number as that would make the sku like 80 digits long and would be a record keeping nightmare for companies that sell billions of products a year. Can you imagine if Budweiser had a separate sku on each bottle of beer?

Sorry OP, you get no love from anyone here. You waited to pull the trigger because you waffled on the purchase and lost out on the lens. It happens all the time.

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 03, 2017 08:11 |  #29

Rhetorical Question: has anyone bought an airplane ticket online? their computers can change the price in a blink of an eye.

JIM

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,910 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 03, 2017 08:30 |  #30

Narwhal wrote in post #18509414 (external link)
Rhetorical Question: has anyone bought an airplane ticket online? their computers can change the price in a blink of an eye.

Now a days with companies tracking everything, it happens quite a bit more. I don't think B&H and Adorama are that sophisticated (yet).

OP should change the title IMHO.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

7,533 views & 82 likes for this thread
ADORAMA CANON 400mm f2.8 IS II price changes
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.