Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you guys think of my Wedding Site

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,334 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by George Zip.

Nov 26, 2017 23:09 |  #1

First up... I am about 85% there. I need to proof all the wording, rewrite some stuff, change the photo of me as it does not match the vibe of the site (its the only recent photo I have of me... how pathetic is that) Need to add another blog post and generally tidy it up before I launch it. So ignore typos and bad grammar , I will fix that.

I would be interested in you blokes opinions. Mainly if you like it, what sort of impression it gives when you first see it etc.

I am going to "launch" it this week.

I am a little nervous showing it to other photographers.... you know how you always think your own works sucks compared to other people.

Anyway..... any comments would be appreciated.

https://richardgrenfel​l.com.au/ (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,729 posts
Gallery: 1114 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 26, 2017 23:12 |  #2

First impression: ever shot anything other than a blonde?

Just kidding. Looks good to me. Kind of cookie cutter. But that's not a bad thing maybe. Sometimes you need to be able to be different from every other template website porfolio.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,334 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 26, 2017 23:22 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18504879 (external link)
First impression: ever shot anything other than a blonde?

Just kidding. Looks good to me. Kind of cookie cutter. But that's not a bad thing maybe. Sometimes you need to be able to be different from every other template website porfolio.

Very best,

Blondes only my friend ;-)a

I tossed up whether to do a funky modern site.... trouble is I am not Funky and modern. I think it's a fine line to walk... In the end I went the conservative route .

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 27, 2017 00:21 |  #4

First impression is that I like it.

I'm going through an overhaul now myself. Hashed mine together myself and our son is within a week or so of providing all the new code and folders.

Wish I could afford two photo sites and have a wedding one dedicated like yours, but I need to have one site cover weddings and portraits combined.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Columbia
41 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by Columbia.

Nov 27, 2017 02:16 |  #5

Are you looking for a Sunshine Coast Wedding Photographer?

Are you looking for a photographer that will capture your day in a unique and special way? Then look no further.

This immediately jumped out at me. First it reminds me of a couple used car dealership ads I saw last night on tv. But more importantly it's presenting an opportunity for the reader to question their reasoning for visiting your website. Better to let them make that decision after they have read the rest of your pitch and seen your work. The first 10 seconds on a website are critical for capturing attention.

If they are visiting your site most likely they are already interested in finding a photographer. Not only is this interrupting the flow of your message, but it is asked twice in a row. (Double rhetorical question is done again in portfolio section)

The rest of it is pretty good. You identify your brand (this should be first), explain what you sell, and then why you do it. That's a great start to a sales message.

The only thing I would add after that is a transition sentence to lead them on to clicking on your "Find out more" button. Something like a brief sentence explaining why your work will make them the happiest.

Do emojis belong on a professional website? :eek:?:lol:

Looking forward to the launched site. Nice portfolio.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,334 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 27, 2017 04:16 |  #6

Columbia wrote in post #18504943 (external link)
This immediately jumped out at me. First it reminds me of a couple used car dealership ads I saw last night on tv. But more importantly it's presenting an opportunity for the reader to question their reasoning for visiting your website. Better to let them make that decision after they have read the rest of your pitch and seen your work. The first 10 seconds on a website are critical for capturing attention.

If they are visiting your site most likely they are already interested in finding a photographer. Not only is this interrupting the flow of your message, but it is asked twice in a row. (Double rhetorical question is done again in portfolio section)

The rest of it is pretty good. You identify your brand (this should be first), explain what you sell, and then why you do it. That's a great start to a sales message.

The only thing I would add after that is a transition sentence to lead them on to clicking on your "Find out more" button. Something like a brief sentence explaining why your work will make them the happiest.

Do emojis belong on a professional website? :eek:?:lol:

Looking forward to the launched site. Nice portfolio.

Thanks for that feedback.

You are right. To be honest I was not crazy about that intro. I think it's the hardest bit. I might redo it and make it more personal. It sounds a bit canned and not really me. To be honest I kinda plagiarised it from around the net.

I am not sure what tack to take.

If I say something like ... Welcome to Sunshine coasts best wedding photographer... You sound like a egotistical douchebag

What about something like this for the heading.... Congratulations! You are getting married. ( this kinda sucks but I can work on it) I have trouble thinking like a bride and I want to avoid being cheesy.

Then below it, I can rework the rest of it.

If you have any copy suggestions I am all ears.

Oh... I didn't even notice that emoji. Wordpress must have just done it. :-):-P:lol::-D-?

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,334 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 27, 2017 04:22 |  #7

mdvaden wrote in post #18504908 (external link)
First impression is that I like it.

I'm going through an overhaul now myself. Hashed mine together myself and our son is within a week or so of providing all the new code and folders.

Wish I could afford two photo sites and have a wedding one dedicated like yours, but I need to have one site cover weddings and portraits combined.

Thanks man

I am transitioning from other work into weddings. I am pretty new at it, but I actually really like it. Without blowing my own trumpet I think I have a talent for it... Not so much the photography I mean, but I am good at handling people.

I have my other stuff buried in a menu because I want it to be very wedding concentric. I may down the track do another site ( now I have figured out how to do it) for head shots and portraiture etc.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Nov 27, 2017 04:36 |  #8

Overall, I like it ... and, as long as you set things up so that the search engines will home in on it, I think it will bring in business.

One minor issue ... I am not convinced by your last shot on the portfolio page. There's a bit too much "Bride's Bottom" about it, and I think some brides-to-be might be discouraged to see that. Maybe swap in a different shot?

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,334 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by George Zip. (2 edits in all)

Nov 27, 2017 04:55 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #9

Thanks for spotting that. I didn’t notice it. She does not have a big arse at all... wind must have got under the dress or something. Tbh I put it because it was a destination wesdding and it has that Louis Vitton sign in it

I am getting help with SEO. I used to be in IT , but my skills are really outdated

FFFCFF
186 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Dec 2016
Post edited 7 months ago by FFFCFF.

Nov 27, 2017 09:00 as a reply to  @ George Zip's post |  #10

Looking good for me.
Replace the meta data like title and description also. It is important for google and SEO.

Edit
In the contact page.
If You own the domain use email in the domain ( not gmail)

Still learning English. Sorry for language bugs. My job: alldatarecovery.pl (external link) my hobby: flickr (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 27, 2017 10:04 |  #11

DaviSto wrote in post #18504973 (external link)
Overall, I like it ... and, as long as you set things up so that the search engines will home in on it, I think it will bring in business.

One minor issue ... I am not convinced by your last shot on the portfolio page. There's a bit too much "Bride's Bottom" about it, and I think some brides-to-be might be discouraged to see that. Maybe swap in a different shot?

As long as a photographers specific name and what they do is mentioned in the page there's almost no way a search engine can't home in.

I used to keep on that for 8 yrs with a site on the first page of results. Then as 500 other people of the same industry started optimizing, it became evident that 500 can't be on top, even if they use 100% perfection. At that point, just building a clean design revealed itself as a priority.

The site he showed here is perfect for 2017 and the future. No matter where folks come from, including word-of-mouth, the site is cleanly designed easy to use.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by Colin Glover.

Dec 01, 2017 15:04 |  #12

The main fault I noticed (and no one commented) is that you keep switching from singular to plural. are you focusing on you? Then it should be just "Richard" and "I" or "Me." Do you have several staff, or intend hiring second shooters? That's always""We", "Us" or "Our". You've got great images, and a great vibe to it. Modern and fresh, but without being funky, as you put it.

Only other thing is the lack of packages. You don't have to put prices up, just spell out what you get with each package. Folk like to know what they're getting for their money. Giving them that info before they contact you helps that. At the moment, you show just a "From" price.

Showing packages gives them fun deciding which to choose. Having a pre determined "Want" when you're ringing up for a chat helps you decide who is expensive, who is charging about average, and who's cheap. What your clients might get from you for their cash could be less than others charging the same.

I hate it when there's no price, as I know they get you to ring first, and hopefully sell you their overpriced wares. Doesn't work with me. Years ago a clock manufacturer had a TV ad. When it came to price the V/O said "I don't like pricing things, but I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised." Needless to say, as sure as eggs are eggs, it was expensive. Don't put people off calling you.
Regards,
Col.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,334 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Dec 01, 2017 19:47 |  #13

Colin Glover wrote in post #18508347 (external link)
The main fault I noticed (and no one commented) is that you keep switching from singular to plural. are you focusing on you? Then it should be just "Richard" and "I" or "Me." Do you have several staff, or intend hiring second shooters? That's always""We", "Us" or "Our". You've got great images, and a great vibe to it. Modern and fresh, but without being funky, as you put it.

Only other thing is the lack of packages. You don't have to put prices up, just spell out what you get with each package. Folk like to know what they're getting for their money. Giving them that info before they contact you helps that. At the moment, you show just a "From" price.

Showing packages gives them fun deciding which to choose. Having a pre determined "Want" when you're ringing up for a chat helps you decide who is expensive, who is charging about average, and who's cheap. What your clients might get from you for their cash could be less than others charging the same.

I hate it when there's no price, as I know they get you to ring first, and hopefully sell you their overpriced wares. Doesn't work with me. Years ago a clock manufacturer had a TV ad. When it came to price the V/O said "I don't like pricing things, but I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised." Needless to say, as sure as eggs are eggs, it was expensive. Don't put people off calling you.
Regards,
Col.

Thanks for your comments Col, I get what you mean regarding the Richard and I. I need to address that. I flip mentally between the two as I do not do everything. EG: I get my wife to Cull for me as she has a better eye for women want and I have another dude who second shoots.... but I might just make the whole thing "me" and "I"

Re; the pricing... I get what you mean, I am like you in that regard. I am taking advice that having a qualifying "from" price is the best option. I really do not want to encourage package shopping, all I want to do is get to a meeting and see if I want to do it. I will not take every job if I get a bad vibe off them. Life is too short. So I will run with that for the time being. TBH I really do not expect to book anything directly off the website, it is more a digital brochure. Having said that, when I do a bridal show I will hand them a price list.

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 03, 2017 12:19 |  #14

Nice website. Add your location to the page title, that's fairly key for SEO. In Wordpress settings you change the site title to something like "Sunshine Coast and Noosa Wedding Photographer - Richard Grenfell".

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

2,677 views & 4 likes for this thread
What do you guys think of my Wedding Site
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.