Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Orlit RT 610 problems

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by KatManDEW.

Nov 29, 2017 05:14 |  #61

HelenOster wrote in post #18505781 (external link)
Have you tried the email: brands@adorama.com? For some reason calls are not getting through.....-?

This may help with the trouble-shooting:

The Orlit Q6 transmitter for Canon has 2 modes: RT and RF.

Lets take a step back and understand why:
Canon created the 600-EX-RT flash which uses its RT radio system. The RT radio system was designed for controlling SPEEDLIGHTS only.

Orlit expanded the line with its own (large) RT monolight units, however these units offer functions not available on speedlights, for example, 1/10 of
a stop adjustment, and modeling lamps. While the units will work in RT radio system mode to allow integration with RT speedlights, for maximum
function when used with Orlit transmitters and strobes ONLY, you want to use RF mode, which allows these controls.

By default the Orlit TR-Q6-C will be in RF mode, for providing maximum function with Orlit monolights. BUT FOR INTEGRATING WITH SPEEDLIGHTS
(FROM CANON OR ORLIT) YOU WILL NEED TO BE IN RT MODE. The easiest way to determine if the transmitter is in RF or RT mode is to be aware that RF mode does not use IDs.

If the transmitter is displaying ONLY channels on the bottom right, it is in RF mode. To switch to RT mode for integrating with speedlights, press the
power button briefly. The channel display will now cycle between the channel symbol and the ID symbol. You are now in RT mode. Use the CH
button to set both the channel and ID. Remember that the channel and ID must be the same on the transmitter and all units. For maximum stability,
use ID 0000 (00) or 0001 (01) only.

Once the unit has “linked” to the remote lights using Canon’s RT protocols, the unit will display a Radio Tower icon. This functions like the green LINK
indicator on Canon flashes.

Thank you that information!

I appreciate the support Helen.

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 29, 2017 11:56 |  #62

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18506335 (external link)
out of curiosity (to see how in the world I can get the version of firmware installed in TR-Q6S = shame on Jinbei for that annoying issue, the firmware version is never displayed) I called the support ph# for Orlit products ... my experience was the following - I called during regular business hours EST - 2 times I went into their voice mail after waiting... the 3rd time my call was answered... now that Adorama person did not know off the bat that TR-Q6S does not display the version of firmware, so he had to put me on hold and find this out from somebody else there - the hold was short though, like 2-3 minutes... so call them few times, you might get a human being - but I suggest to find a fellow Canon user somewhere first who might have the same setup - may be Orlit's Facebook group ?

The CS reps do not know the answers to questions about Orlit or Flashpoint. As I've mentioned previously, you need to email - email only - brands@adorama.com

Not call. Email

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 29, 2017 11:59 |  #63

PhotogNY wrote in post #18505983 (external link)
Thanks so much Helen for trying to help. You're the best.

I did indeed also email as well as call. No one responded to either my phone calls or emails.

The information you provided was great, but unfortunately didn't help to solve the problem. By the way, is the information you provided accessible anywhere else? I noticed the manual doesn't contain much practical troubleshooting info, and there's not much content out there on this to find answers. I really wish someone would make a practical walk through video to help solve these issues.

There is currently a problem with the phone lines to the brands team. So calling in will be a frustrating exercise. And at this time of year phone calls are harder to handle in any case. The information I posted was given to me by the technical team to post here for you while they await your email. what email address did you send it to - perhaps better to take this offline & contact me directly: Helen@adorama.com

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 29, 2017 12:01 |  #64

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18506332 (external link)
I think I 'd not bother to return the whole strobe (big box) - I purchased a separate flash tube for $30 already... once it arrives I will confirm that strobe is working and then I shall see if I can just exchange the cracked flash tube that arrived installed in the strobe - less hassle that way (smaller box to haul)

my beef though is that (1) packing still shall be better and (2) somebody must at least attempt to visually inspect the item that costs few hundred $ before shipping ... once I extracted the strobe from Orlit box I can immediately hear the sound of what turned to be few glass shards from the cracked flash tube inside the protective dome ... some retailers offer "white-glove deliver/installation service" so I'd like to have an option to pay few bucks more when I want "white-glove total bubble wrap packing and at least visual inspections of what is inside the box" before actual shipping, so that relatively expensive items will not come packed like they are now... that Adorama replaces defective items was never questioned.

We cannot and do not open any boxes before shipping, because:

1. We are shipping thousands of packages a day
2. The packers would be unable to re-pack the contents correctly
3. We would then be obliged to sell them to you as 'open box'

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2017 06:38 |  #65

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18506335 (external link)
out of curiosity (to see how in the world I can get the version of firmware installed in TR-Q6S = shame on Jinbei for that annoying issue, the firmware version is never displayed) I called the support ph# for Orlit products ... my experience was the following - I called during regular business hours EST - 2 times I went into their voice mail after waiting... the 3rd time my call was answered... now that Adorama person did not know off the bat that TR-Q6S does not display the version of firmware, so he had to put me on hold and find this out from somebody else there - the hold was short though, like 2-3 minutes... so call them few times, you might get a human being - but I suggest to find a fellow Canon user somewhere first who might have the same setup - may be Orlit's Facebook group ?

ORLIT Firmware Update page

https://www.adorama.co​m/g/orlit-download-page (external link)

deejjjaaaa
150 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by deejjjaaaa.

Nov 30, 2017 13:51 |  #66
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #18507269 (external link)
ORLIT Firmware Update page

https://www.adorama.co​m/g/orlit-download-page (external link)

that was not the question (I updated firmware) - the question was how in the world I know what is version inside the device :-D ... to make sure that I actually updated it, I bricked the trigger first, then get it working by putting a new firmware in - that way at least I knew there was no old one left

look what you (means Adorama, not you persinally) put on the web site

1) statement "Version number on lower right hand corner of the welcome screen."

and then

2) picture of TR-Q6 which is _NOT_ displaying the version number...

website needs to be fixed with the note that even current/recent firmware for TR-Q6 does not display the firmware version

deejjjaaaa
150 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Nov 30, 2017 13:56 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #18506702 (external link)
The CS reps do not know the answers to questions about Orlit or Flashpoint. As I've mentioned previously, you need to email - email only - brands@adorama.com

Not call. Email

Helen here is what Orlit support page ( https://www.adorama.co​m/g/orlit-download-page (external link) ) says :

Need Technical Assistance for our in-house brands?

We'd love to help. Choose your favorite method of communication below and we'll connect.

Talk soon!

Contact us online

Email us: brands@adorama.com

Call us: 212-647-9300

so why 'd you (Adorama, not you personally) put this "Call us: 212-647-9300" when somebody "Need Technical Assistance for our in-house brands?"

I wanted support pronto, so I called as directed... again - CSR got the anser, just not right away and hold was not that long...

deejjjaaaa
150 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Nov 30, 2017 13:58 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #18506711 (external link)
We cannot and do not open any boxes before shipping, because:

1. We are shipping thousands of packages a day
2. The packers would be unable to re-pack the contents correctly
3. We would then be obliged to sell them to you as 'open box'

well, there is logic in this too... however bubble wrapping all way around shall be possible still...

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2017 15:50 |  #69

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18507626 (external link)
Helen here is what Orlit support page ( https://www.adorama.co​m/g/orlit-download-page (external link) ) says :

so why 'd you (Adorama, not you personally) put this "Call us: 212-647-9300" when somebody "Need Technical Assistance for our in-house brands?"

I wanted support pronto, so I called as directed... again - CSR got the anser, just not right away and hold was not that long...

The 'phone number was put in the manual BEFORE the Team started experiencing problems with the 'phone system. They PREFER emails in any case.

Best for us both if I put you on ignore, because I am completely fed up with being harassed by you.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2017 15:51 |  #70

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18507627 (external link)
well, there is logic in this too... however bubble wrapping all way around shall be possible still...

No. It is not.

deejjjaaaa
150 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Dec 01, 2017 07:51 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #18507708 (external link)
No. It is not.

OK, Adorama can continue to ship fragile items w/o proper safety measures - it is their business decision to save pennies :oops:

deejjjaaaa
150 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by deejjjaaaa. (2 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2017 07:58 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #18507705 (external link)
The 'phone number was put in the manual BEFORE the Team started experiencing problems with the 'phone system. They PREFER emails in any case.

Best for us both if I put you on ignore, because I am completely fed up with being harassed by you.

very good - Adorama shell fix the website to avoid confusing your customers by creating an impression that house brand support is available by phone ... and nobody is harrasing "you" ... customers simply vent their legitimate grievances with Adorama and the product that Adorama sells ... you are not obliged to respond, but remember I paid my money to Adorama and so far I have not get properly working TTL for 12+ month in Adorama's Flashpoint transmitter for Sony with no fix in sight - so go and vent your frustration on people who can't get their act together for a year and while you at it - ask them to finally put up to date manuals for the products you sell, how about that more simple task ?

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 03, 2017 04:43 |  #73

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18508107 (external link)
very good - Adorama shell fix the website to avoid confusing your customers by creating an impression that house brand support is available by phone ... and nobody is harrasing "you" ... customers simply vent their legitimate grievances with Adorama and the product that Adorama sells ... you are not obliged to respond, but remember I paid my money to Adorama and so far I have not get properly working TTL for 12+ month in Adorama's Flashpoint transmitter for Sony with no fix in sight - so go and vent your frustration on people who can't get their act together for a year and while you at it - ask them to finally put up to date manuals for the products you sell, how about that more simple task ?

Please email brands@adorama.com for answers to your questions concerning Flashpoint/ORLIT
Please email service@adorama.com for all packaging queries

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 04, 2017 06:37 |  #74

I think I figured out at least part of my problems with the RT610 yesterday. The communication problems always begin last in a session, when the battery is at half power or less. I don't know why I never noticed that before, but that's when it started yesterday, and all of a sudden I rememered that is when it has always happened in the past.

It still operates with the lower battery level, but it loses communication frequently. More and more as the batter gets even lower.

Since I am happy with the system otherwise, for the most part, I guess I will get another battery.

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 04, 2017 07:28 as a reply to  @ KatManDEW's post |  #75

Interesting to hear - I've not noticed similar, but I will now watch for it.

My Jinbei HD610 for Canon with 611 remote trigger and my 611 receivers for 580ExIIs are all still working as they should, including TTL. I don't use NiMH cells in any triggers - I stick to Duracels for those.

sponsored links

56,961 views & 15 likes for this thread
Orlit RT 610 problems
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.