Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashpoint eVOLV 200 R2 TTL Pocket Flash | (AD200) Thoughts?

Daggah
115 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 02, 2017 21:19 |  #1186

Based off that illumination pattern on the fresnel head, I guess that's why it has a 1/4-20 thread on the side as well as the bottom!

Nikon D850/FE and Fuji X-T2
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Dec 04, 2017 21:09 |  #1187

What's up y'all? Finally got a pair of these and the dual head adapter. Looking forward to taking them for a spin shooting an editorial and cover tomorrow :D

Question, maybe for Talley, or anyone who knows: what was it you're using for a bulb protector to transport the dual head? I recall someone suggested a $7 cap but have had trouble digging it up. I bought an extra Xplor600 cap but it's too shallow :(

Current Portfolio (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,216 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by RDKirk. (2 edits in all)

Dec 04, 2017 21:23 as a reply to  @ jlafferty's post |  #1188

These tube covers are all long enough to fit.

https://www.adorama.co​m/ntmi019.html (external link)

https://www.adorama.co​m …3.html?rfkref=p​roductPage (external link)

https://www.adorama.co​m/jtcv.html?rfkref=pro​ductPage (external link)

The JTL is both the cheapest and the best. The one Adorama sent me was actually black, not gray. It's a bit shorter than the other two, but plenty long enough.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scoobert.

Dec 04, 2017 21:53 |  #1189

Bare Bulb Life ? ? ? HSS ? ? ?

I have two of these units a Cheetah CL200X and a eVolve 200 from Adorama. The Cheetah version is 2 months older than the Adorama and the bare bulb has already burned out on the evolve. I would guess it has somewhere around 750-1000 low to mid power pops on it and like 100 HHS pops. The cheetah has 4 to 5 times as many of both kinds of pops and still going strong.

I ordered a new one from Amazon already at 40 bucks, seemed like a really short life span.

Did I just get unlucky in the bulb lottery with the Adorama flash?

ALSO: If shooting HHS should I flip over to the fresnel head instead of wearing out my Bare Bulb or was I just unlucky ?

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,030 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 04, 2017 21:57 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #1190

Any chance the bulb got knocked while it was still hot? It doesn't take
much of a hit to kill a bulb if it's red hot...

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 04, 2017 22:05 |  #1191

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18510816 (external link)
Any chance the bulb got knocked while it was still hot? It doesn't take
much of a hit to kill a bulb if it's red hot...

Nope, never had one that hot. This one died after about 15-20 pops while in the qbox-24. Just stopped working. Swapped to the fresnel head and it worked, swapped in the cheetah bare bulb head and it worked. was like damn it only made it 4 months of limited use :(

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Dec 04, 2017 22:10 |  #1192

Yes! The JTL was the one I recalled. Thank you!

In the meantime... I discovered a bit of a genius move... I'm also packing an Impact branded fresnel and it so happens that it's exactly deep enough to double as a protective cap.

The fresnel in question is this unit, and it's becoming one of my go-to sources:

https://www.amazon.com …ight-Filter/dp/B011HTRTUG (external link)

RDKirk wrote in post #18510782 (external link)
These tube covers are all long enough to fit.

https://www.adorama.co​m/ntmi019.html (external link)

https://www.adorama.co​m …3.html?rfkref=p​roductPage (external link)

https://www.adorama.co​m/jtcv.html?rfkref=pro​ductPage (external link)

The JTL is both the cheapest and the best. The one Adorama sent me was actually black, not gray. It's a bit shorter than the other two, but plenty long enough.

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,030 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by SereneSpeed.

Dec 04, 2017 22:43 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #1193

Sorry, I have to ask... Have you tried it since? :-)

I was amazed at how quick the heat protection kicked in on a hot day with the bare bulb firing 1/2 power HSS in a softbox. I swapped to another bare bulb head and used it until the overheat protection kicked in and then switched back to the first head.

Otherwise, you lost the bulb lottery.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,525 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2017 22:43 |  #1194

jlafferty wrote in post #18510820 (external link)
Yes! The JTL was the one I recalled. Thank you!

In the meantime... I discovered a bit of a genius move... I'm also packing an Impact branded fresnel and it so happens that it's exactly deep enough to double as a protective cap.

The fresnel in question is this unit, and it's becoming one of my go-to sources:

https://www.amazon.com …ight-Filter/dp/B011HTRTUG (external link)

Any pictures with that Fresnel? Thanks.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Strauss
60 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Dec 05, 2017 10:48 |  #1195

I saw someone else already asked about this already, but there wasn't many replies. What are everyone's favorite, most used modifiers for the AD200? I'm also interested as to what the best reflectors are for use with the AD200? I do have S brackets to use the bowens mount style reflector and modifiers.

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,477 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2017 11:03 |  #1196

So far my favorite has been either a bare bulb near a wall bounced or with Bowens mount it's a tie between the cheetah snub 38 and cheetah lantern

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 05, 2017 11:15 as a reply to  @ Strauss's post |  #1197

Glow Parapop 38" (with S-type bracket).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 05, 2017 11:42 |  #1198

Strauss wrote in post #18511143 (external link)
I saw someone else already asked about this already, but there wasn't many replies. What are everyone's favorite, most used modifiers for the AD200? I'm also interested as to what the best reflectors are for use with the AD200? I do have S brackets to use the bowens mount style reflector and modifiers.

Mine are the Cheetah Qbox 24 (external link)

and

The Cheetah 32" Octagon Umbrella Style Softbox (external link)

I really want to try that Cheetah lantern, everybody that has it loves it from what I have seen.

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Dec 05, 2017 17:37 |  #1199

@bobbyz - I'll have some fresnel stuff to share soon.

Just got back from shooting a magazine cover. Overall, supremely happy with the combination of the Xplor600 and a pair of eVolv200s with the dual bracket.

One problem... working with the new Xpro-N transmitter, I accidentally went to 1/320th, and got banding. D810 is set to Auto-FP, and I assumed the trigger and lights would know to jump to HSS, and this wouldn't be an issue. The images with banding represent 10% of the shoot, and of them, only 10% are problematic (subject outside the banding most of the time). Not a big deal at all, but I have to get to the bottom of this before taking them out again. I assume it's a simple fix and that's what I get for taking gear out to a shoot without fully vetting it before.

Otherwise, the ease of use of this system, the output, the flash duration, setup & breakdown time, transit, it's all amazing. Total creative freedom for me. I'm over the moon about what I can do. Did 4 setups in 1hr 20. I brought 2x Streaklight 360TTLs as well, for backup or additional fill sources, but they were totally unnecessary.

kayl
411 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 05, 2017 17:56 |  #1200

kayl wrote in post #18507455 (external link)
TeamSpeed-
Have you tried out the AD200/Evolv 200 with the SL2? I just got my Black Friday/Cyber Monday dual head bundle and TTL drastically overexposes with my SL2. It works fine on the 50d. Seems like this is likely an issue with the 6dmkII also.

I'm happy to report that flashing the R2 Pro to firmware 1.4 appears at first glance to have rectified the issue. I'll do more testing tomorrow. My transmitter was previously on firmware 1.0.

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

306,558 views & 565 likes for this thread
Flashpoint eVOLV 200 R2 TTL Pocket Flash | (AD200) Thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.