Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 02:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

does a 7d mark ii need grip?

Ah-keong
731 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Dec 06, 2017 01:05 |  #16

I added a grip, to shoot vertical easier, balance long lens better, two batts added to shoot longer.

but it would add weight and bulk to the whole solution.  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100mm ZE | Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,843 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by apersson850.

Dec 06, 2017 06:05 |  #17

So the correct answer is that the camera doesn't need any grip, but you may need one.

Regarding voltage and capacity: The fact that Nikon cameras sometimes can shoot faster (higher frame rate) with grips is beacuase their grips sometimes allow a different, more powerful battery to be used. A battery grip for the 7D Mark II only allows two normal batteries to be put in the camera at the same time. The camera doesn't even use them both in parallel, but alters between one and the other, to run them flat at about the same time.

What consumes a lot of power is having the display on. So fiddling with menus, looking at images and such stuff is most likely to run out of juice. That's also the activity where you are most likely to have time to replace the battery.

On the 7D camera body I use most of the time (the only one I use now, as my daughter has inherited the other one), the grip is a WFT-E5B. It doesn't add any battery capacity to the camera at all, but does make it trickier to replace the battery in the camera, as you have to remove the grip first. I have no problem with that.

The reason I started using a grip at all, on a 400D, was a day of shooting a lot of verticals with a 300 mm lens on that small camera. At the same event, I saw another guy with a grip on his 400D, and immediately decided to get one. Now I'm enough of a grip fan that my last two cameras have had grips built-in.

Anders

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,253 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 07, 2017 09:31 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #18511623 (external link)
Sadly, there are MANY users who think the capacity of a single battery is too little, and they think it too cumbersome (or require just a bit of thinking in advance!) to keep a spare battery in the pocket and swap it out in the middle of the day.

I have been 'shot down' on more than one occasion when advocating keeping a spare battery in the camera bag or pocket in POTN posts!

Whoever thinks that way is just flat out wrong. . There is nothing wrong at all with keeping spare batteries in a pocket.

When I used a 5D as my main camera, and later a 50D, I would keep at least two batteries in my pockets at all times, because each fully charged battery would only last for a couple of hours. . This is a completely viable way of carrying and using spare batteries. . Anybody who says it isn't should be taken out behind the woodshed and smashed hard in the arse a few times!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,914 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 08, 2017 17:59 |  #19

For me there are two reasons to use a "Grip" on my 7D2. Firstly balance/grip - although I have smallish hands the camera simply handles better and I have a more secure hold on it with the Canon grip. Secondly the Canon grip comes with an insert for AA batteries. I use some rather old Sanyo 1900 Mah Eneloops - why? Because they perform so much better than the theoretically better LP E6n batteries! Yes they are heavier but I charge them when I feel like rather than every outing with my Lp-E6 and LP-E6n batteries.

The six AA Eneloops should, roughly, equal one LP-E6 - they don't as the Eneloops outlast several of them. Given their stated capacities this is totally illogical, however in my 7D2 this is the case. These days my Canon Lithuim batteries are an unused backup to the "Old Tech" AA rechargeable cells.

I wonder how the newer 2500 Mah Eneloops would perform? Still my Enelopps are only 5 to 7 years old so there is no rush to find out.;-)a

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ejenner
Goldmember
3,637 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2017 22:35 |  #20

I use a grip with one battery in it. Better for handling with a long lens and lots of vertical shots. Less stress on the wrists and arms while waiting in vertical for a bird to pose.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,214 views & 11 likes for this thread
does a 7d mark ii need grip?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.