Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Dec 2017 (Monday) 13:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D not producing sharp pictures!

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 11, 2017 09:38 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18515307 (external link)
Sure, that may be the next issue to deal with, but the eyes are in focus inside what appears to be about 4-5", so increasing DOF has to be resolved first. There is a 14" MFD on that lens, just over 1 foot.

Given the DOF being about 4-5", that puts the dogs out at about 5' from the subject at 50mm at f1.8. If the dogs were really right up on the lens, the DOF at 14"MFD would be less than 1". CLEARLY not the case here...

Questions to be answered:
1) Are the photos all the full frame, or are either/both cropped? (Assuming photo is cropped a bit to show the issue)
2) What AF mode is used? (Assuming all points)
3) What was the distance to the dogs on the first shot? (not all that pertinent, other to determine DOF values) (Assuming about 4-5 feet out)

Where did you get the DOF being 4-5"?
Moreover, where did you find the exif saying f1.8?

Vaginator9000

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,489 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by MakisM1.

Dec 11, 2017 09:41 |  #17

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18515315 (external link)
f1.8 is your problem. Like many have said above you need to study up on the exposure triangle and learn how the settings on your camera work with, and against, each other.

Not only f1.8 is a problem, the 50 mm f1.8 (other than the STM) is a notoriously difficult lens for precise focus. Yes, it can be done (in continuous AF) but one has to learn the quirks of the older, noisy AF motor.

I had similar issues when I first bought the thing back in 2012. It took days of experimenting until I was able to coax well focused photos with my 60D. Now I can place the correct focus on any of the outer points, but it takes a bit of doing to interpret the whizzing noises as to when focus is achieved.

Also, the outer AF points in the 6D are less reliable than the 60D ones.

Try to shoot an object that will give you a sharp delineation of your in-focus part of the photo. In the past I used an object (mailbox post) in a field of grass. Then, you can very easily decide where is the focus plane intersecting the field of grass, and whether your camera front focuses, back focuses or it is on target. If you use the 50 f1.8 non STM, try shooting in continuous AF (AIServo) and wait until the lens settles (stops whizzing).

Make sure you use the center AF point only.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,541 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2017 09:44 as a reply to  @ fordmondeo's post |  #18

First I know those dogs (as I have had a near death experience with my neighbor's) and can see the DOF. As to aperture, the OP should be edited to tell us the settings, but we have indeed been assuming 1.8.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 11 months ago by fordmondeo.

Dec 11, 2017 09:46 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18515337 (external link)
First I know those dogs and can see the DOF. Secondly, the OP tells us the settings used.

No, the op says he used a 50mm 1.8 not 50mm at 1.8.

Vaginator9000

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,541 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Dec 11, 2017 09:50 as a reply to  @ fordmondeo's post |  #20

Yes, I corrected my post as you were quick to jump on the reply. Again, we just need to wait for the TS to provide more info? EXIF data is indeed important info, or at least being told those values, I agree.

The member needs to slow down a bit. If you look through the posts since October, people have been telling him/her what to get, what to change, etc and they have been doing it in the hopes of improving their results, without taking the time to sit down and learn all the aspects of photography and exposure. First in Oct was a T5 and kit lens, then somebody said to get lights, so they bought Einsteins, then somebody said they need a 50 1.8 lens, so that was purchased, now a FF was purchased. Yet results are still undesirable. The equipment is all fine as is, nothing is needed, other than intimate time with the 6D and 50mm and lights to figure out how everything plays together.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TreeburnerCT
417 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Dec 13, 2017 07:05 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #21

Well said Teamspeed! People are so quick to adopt the "pay to win" approach these days, choosing to overinvest financially and underinvest their time and effort to learn. When I bought my first DSLR it was tempting to shoot in the many different auto modes, however the only reason I got better was because I forced myself to shoot in manual mode only, learning about the exposure triangle, histograms and metering modes as I went along.

To the OP, instead of spending more money to try to make your photos better invest some time in learning how your equipment works and the results will be dramatic! You will see a much more significant impact on the quality of your photography versus spending money on "upgrades" that you won't know how to use.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,786 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2017 08:22 |  #22

Oksana Gereaue wrote in post #18510401 (external link)
Soembody please help! I switched from rebelt5 to a Canon 6d (fullframe) in hopes of getting sharper, crisper pictures. I've seen amazing photos of other people's 6d results, however mine is not producing those results. What is the problem? Is it the settings? Why am I not achieving sharp photos? I'm overwhelmed with frustration. Here are some pictures of my dogs with those 'horrible results'. First one their noses are blurry/out of focus, 2nd one one dog is in focus the other is out. They were taken with 50mm prime f/1.8
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Oksana Gereaue in
./showthread.php?p=185​10401&i=i156329813
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Oksana Gereaue in
./showthread.php?p=185​10401&i=i6262456
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

The images do not have EXIF data attached to them so we can only guess at the settings. If you can't provide the EXIF information with the images please tell us the shutter speed, and aperture of the images. We also need to know the mode you were shooting in and the focus points you were using. Were you using Tv, Av, P or M as your mode? I suspect you may have been using full auto and in that case the camera, rather then you, decides what should be in focus. Probably the main issue is that you are using the wrong aperture for those shots, but a slow shutter speed may also have contributed to the poor results Although most of the comments were probably pretty accurate, we need more information regarding the shooting parameters to make specific recommendations. Compounding the aperture issue, its possible your lens on that camera could be back focusing a bit which means things behind the point you are focusing at might be sharper. There is an in camera adjustment to fix that. But the main issue seems to be a lack of understanding regarding the exposure triangle, Depth of Field and how you camera works in different modes. Please give us more details so we can help you

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

5,409 views & 10 likes for this thread
Canon 6D not producing sharp pictures!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.