Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tilted Shot

rioni
Goldmember
1,509 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by rioni. (5 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2017 15:52 |  #1

Please critique

reposted the original pic here: https://imgur.com/a/1G​tai (external link)

others posted: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1489952

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,474 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 12, 2017 16:28 |  #2

Quite honestly, I have never once seen a tilted image like this one that did anything positive for me. In my opinion, it's a "fail".

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

PhotosGuy
75,349 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 12, 2017 16:29 |  #3

rioni wrote in post #18516411 (external link)
Please critique

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22rr​zmi  (external link) Island (external link) by leftaway (external link), on Flickr

You're being photobombed at the right corner, and the shot is tilted! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Pigpen101
279 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 12, 2017 16:37 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #4

If I remember correctly from class, it's called a "Dutch tilt" (no idea why). Did it once as it was a requirement for class, haven't done it since. About 1 in a million of these "work".

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,509 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 12, 2017 16:59 |  #5

I dig the photobomb. ya, I've never had one of these work for me either and it was taken this way. I guess I will keep my record of no tilt shot other than car trails working for me :)

s1a1om
452 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by s1a1om.

Dec 12, 2017 17:15 |  #6

I'm with the others, it looks odd.

Unlike the others though, I have seen a few tilted automotive (and aviation) shots that aren't bad.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,245 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 12, 2017 17:44 |  #7

Ask yourself, What's the point of tilting the photo. What are you trying to convey.
For me, I don't see it. Even if the photo was level, it doesn't look interesting.
Keep trying.

flickr (external link)

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,509 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 12, 2017 18:00 as a reply to  @ Larry Johnson's post |  #8

The point was to help complete others I had from this series. I accidentally took the shot. As for trying, not sure I'll get another round at this location. Here is another from aruond the same spot.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4647/38977176252_a0b0ed3455_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22oh​dyd  (external link) Walk (external link) by leftaway (external link), on Flickr

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,973 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 12, 2017 23:35 |  #9

rioni wrote in post #18516494 (external link)
The point was to help complete others I had from this series. I accidentally took the shot.

But how does having this image tilted complete the others? - or do you mean you just took it by accident and wanted to keep it because it helps to complete the set?

The shot doesn't work for me because I can't see any reason for it to be tilted. Tilting can work to create a feeling of motion or imminent falling and also to encourage us to look at something from a different viewpoint. It can work well in architectural photography (viewpoint) and also in sport (motion). Here it doesn't seem to serve a purpose.

Furthermore the whole left half of the frame seems empty while the right is full of people. This, combined with the tilt makes the whole image feel as it it has tipped over due to the weight of people which gives the image an uncomfortable feeling.

There are elements I like (the photobomb) but not enough to outweigh all the problems.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,509 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 13, 2017 02:24 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #10

Excellent feedback Dan and points taken. I think I was going off the emotion in memory having been there and how that equated to the shot rather than taking it as it is - a photo. I have a habit of doing this :) will remove from my feed shortly but thank you all again for the comments.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,265 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 13, 2017 06:44 |  #11

rioni wrote in post #18516735 (external link)
Excellent feedback Dan and points taken. I think I was going off the emotion in memory having been there and how that equated to the shot rather than taking it as it is - a photo. I have a habit of doing this :) will remove from my feed shortly but thank you all again for the comments.

So now, apparently because you have received some negative comments, the original picture has been removed.

As a result, I, and I'm sure others, come along and read this thread but no longer have the image to look at with regard to the above comments which pretty much makes this entire thread moot.

It seems to me that if one is going to post an image knowing that many others are going to see and comment on it and build a thread around it that it should be left in place. I'm sure every member of this forum knows that when one posts an image that there is a good possibility that there will be others that may not care for it and, as such, are going to say some things that the OP may not like.

By removing the original image it turns the thread into a pointless, empty waste of space that no one can gain anything from. This especially applies to the critique section where people come to not only comment but to learn what to do and not do and why.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,973 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 13, 2017 08:03 |  #12

rioni wrote in post #18516735 (external link)
I think I was going off the emotion in memory having been there and how that equated to the shot rather than taking it as it is - a photo. I have a habit of doing this :)

Very common. It is something we all have to keep in mind when trying to critique our own work.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Ramon-uk
615 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 13, 2017 08:11 |  #13

saea501 wrote in post #18516806 (external link)
So now, apparently because you have received some negative comments, the original picture has been removed.

By removing the original image it turns the thread into a pointless, empty waste of space that no one can gain anything from. This especially applies to the critique section where people come to not only comment but to learn what to do and not do and why.

My thoughts exactly.
I can understand that images go missing from some older posts but please don't remove them intentionally.

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,509 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by rioni.

Dec 13, 2017 12:32 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #14

Good point. In the future, I'll post somewhere other than my main flikr feed when getting quick feedback so that it won't be deleted. My apologies. <edit> added on imgur.

sponsored links

921 views & 3 likes for this thread
Tilted Shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.