Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Dec 2017 (Monday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CANON REFURBISHED BODIES

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 18, 2017 12:29 |  #16

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #18520921 (external link)
Just got off the phone with Canon, theyre shipping me another one tomorrow. They charged me for another one and will credit back once they receive this one back. Not to happy with the QC and refurb dept right now but Customer Service was excellent!

I think you have to accept there will some variation in quality if you are purchasing a refurbished body and it must be quite hard for Canon to determine what amounts to an acceptable standard, given there are so many different dimensions to that. So, at the margin, some refurbished bodies are not going to satisfy customers.

In this case, the camera was outside your own limits of acceptability (although somebody else might have been content with it ... and might yet be). It seems you are getting good overall treatment from Canon and I wouldn't feel too harshly towards the QC and refurb dept. A few unacceptable copies and some extra hassle for people like yourself who get something that does not meet their expectations is, I think, a price worth paying for having a good supply of refurbished stock available at good prices.

Your inconvenience on this occasion was just part of the price. Hopefully you will have better luck next time.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 18, 2017 12:58 |  #17

DaviSto wrote in post #18520941 (external link)
I think you have to accept there will some variation in quality if you are purchasing a refurbished body and it must be quite hard for Canon to determine what amounts to an acceptable standard, given there are so many different dimensions to that. So, at the margin, some refurbished bodies are not going to satisfy customers.

In this case, the camera was outside your own limits of acceptability (although somebody else might have been content with it ... and might yet be). It seems you are getting good overall treatment from Canon and I wouldn't feel too harshly towards the QC and refurb dept. A few unacceptable copies and some extra hassle for people like yourself who get something that does not meet their expectations is, I think, a price worth paying for having a good supply of refurbished stock available at good prices.

Your inconvenience on this occasion was just part of the price. Hopefully you will have better luck next time.

I agree. As the old saying goes "You can please some of the people all the time, All the people some of the time, But you cant please all the people all the time". This one seems pretty well used. The top housing has a good wear mark on it, the LCD screens were scratched, along with the bright line down the rear LCD makes me think it was used then developed a problem and sent back to repair and customer ended getting a replacement and this one was never fixed.

Canon crap and Canon lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,659 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 18, 2017 13:35 |  #18

Just got off the phone with Canon, theyre shipping me another one tomorrow. They charged me for another one and will credit back once they receive this one back. Not to happy with the QC and refurb dept right now but Customer Service was excellent!

They must have changed things a bit then. When I had to return a refurb back years ago with the 5D3, they would only refund my order, and told me to reorder. This still isn't an exchange, technically, as you are out twice the amount until they receive the first one back, but still better to handle it all as one "transaction". You did the right thing, that shouldn't meet anybody's criteria for like new cosmetic appearance.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 18, 2017 14:03 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18521001 (external link)
They must have changed things a bit then. When I had to return a refurb back years ago with the 5D3, they would only refund my order, and told me to reorder. This still isn't an exchange, technically, as you are out twice the amount until they receive the first one back, but still better to handle it all as one "transaction". You did the right thing, that shouldn't meet anybody's criteria for like new cosmetic appearance.

They gave me that option to, then told me they could do it this way. Im impatient though!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,710 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 19, 2017 07:12 |  #20

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #18520805 (external link)
Just curious as to what all Canon does to the Refurbished bodies? Just picked up a 7D2 and the back LCD has scratches, the top LCS is all scratched up, havent run the shutter count yet but will shortly.

My two refurbs came with the normal protective film over all surfaces you mention. Were yours packaged that way?

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 19, 2017 07:24 |  #21

John from PA wrote in post #18521570 (external link)
My two refurbs came with the normal protective film over all surfaces you mention. Were yours packaged that way?

No, just boxed in Vixia Box and bubble wrapped. Got curious and rant he shutter count last night it came up 7290 so it was sent back for some kind of problem and made it back to the refurb stash.

kmilo
360 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 19, 2017 07:35 |  #22

It's speculation at this point, but it could have just been buyers remorse ... wanted to go to full frame, whatever. Everything I know and have heard about Canon refurbs has been positive. It's obviously a bummer that you've had a bad experience. I've had some nightmare experiences buying used, so I'm grateful for the lower price and warranty.

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #18521574 (external link)
No, just boxed in Vixia Box and bubble wrapped. Got curious and rant he shutter count last night it came up 7290 so it was sent back for some kind of problem and made it back to the refurb stash.

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 19, 2017 07:42 |  #23

kmilo wrote in post #18521583 (external link)
It's speculation at this point, but it could have just been buyers remorse ... wanted to go to full frame, whatever. Everything I know and have heard about Canon refurbs has been positive. It's obviously a bummer that you've had a bad experience. I've had some nightmare experiences buying used, so I'm grateful for the lower price and warranty.

So am i, sold mine a while back and now want another one. Lol

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,659 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 07:46 |  #24

You should have it by Christmas, in my experiences, Canon only takes a few days to get a camera to my door after ordering. Just a day or two more yet, I hope for your sake! I would be playing with the other camera in the meantime, until you receive the replacement.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 19, 2017 08:04 |  #25

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18521588 (external link)
You should have it by Christmas, in my experiences, Canon only takes a few days to get a camera to my door after ordering. Just a day or two more yet, I hope for your sake! I would be playing with the other camera in the meantime, until you receive the replacement.

Its being OVernight shipped, will be here tomorrow. Lol I have been!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,659 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 08:13 as a reply to  @ ACESFULL82's post |  #26

Nice! I bought a refurb M3 and its kit lens, along with the refurb zoom lens, for my oldest. She is asking for a camera, and I figure the M3 at its price point is a good marriage of a small travel friendly camera, with the luxury of adding lenses later. Hope it is here by the weekend.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 19, 2017 09:17 |  #27

Good caI would have done the same.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,710 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by John from PA.

Dec 19, 2017 14:45 |  #28

ACESFULL82 wrote in post #18521574 (external link)

This actually does not sound as if source of the refurb was actually through Canon USA? There are parties out there that claim refurb but the level of care in the procedure (in my experience) is not like what you will get from Canon. My refurb cameras were in plain white boxes with internal construction to hold every item as anticipated. Thinks like instruction book, strap, CD, etc. were in original wrappers, even sealed in some cases.

I might add I have also bought several refurb flash units from Canon. Again anything in the way of a screen had protective film over the LCD panel.

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by ACESFULL82.

Dec 19, 2017 14:57 |  #29

John from PA wrote in post #18521918 (external link)
This actually does not sound as if source of the refurb was actually through Canon USA? There are parties out there that claim refurb but the level of care in the procedure (in my experience) is not like what you will get from Canon. My refurb cameras were in plain white boxes with internal construction to hold every as anticipated. Thinks like instruction book, strap, CD, etc. were in original wrappers, even sealed in some cases.

I might add I have also bought several refurb flash units from Canon. Again anything in the way of a screen had protective film over the LCD panel.

Yeah, the other 2 refurb items i bought were the same way.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ACESFULL82
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 20, 2017 16:47 |  #30

Another one came in today, much better. Not a mark or scratch on it, came in a VIXIA box instead of the white refurb boxes. Will run shutter count later.

sponsored links

5,060 views & 10 likes for this thread
CANON REFURBISHED BODIES
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.