Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D4 or 1DX

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 19, 2017 11:06 |  #31

This is why it would be a real hard call for me to go 5D4 over a 1Dx1

I have used these cameras a lot

The AF systems on the 1Dx systems are phenominal. Gotta say that If I could get a refirb 1Dx1 cheap, or a low count 1Dx1 in the 2500.00 price range,,, I would be leaning 1Dx1

Reasons are AF system is great. Build and weather sealing. Im never over 12800 for wedding work. Since the update on the 1Dx1 12800 is very very good with a properly exposed file. Have not seen 12800 on the 5D4 to make the comparison.

The 1Dx1 is not going to have the forgiveness of the 5D4 or 1Dx2 files. You can miss by 1.5 stops either direction with no penalties. A 1Dx1 will really show in darks and shadows at 150% where as the 1Dx2 and probably the 5D4 will not....Theres your cushion on the newer sensors

I see everyones points. But for me its hard to beat what the 1Dx bodies offer over the 5 series

The only reason I dont have 2 1Dx2 bodies is because they are too heavy for my wife who has tiny hands and cant carry that much weight for 10 hrs at a wedding. She wants and needs a 5D series body

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 7 months ago by arthurbikemad.

Dec 19, 2017 11:10 |  #32

Ltdave wrote in post #18520362 (external link)
so the 1DX is only 18 mp? how did that happen?

figured it was at least as much as the 5D3...

the 5D4 i was looking at got snapped up pretty quickly. i guess its back to the looking game...

There are many times I choose my 1DX2 over my 5D4, if I want out and out resolution and speed is not a factor then the 5D4 is my choice, BUT most of the time action or not I find I pick the 1DX2, the Mk2 is much the same IQ wise as the Mk1, when I used to own the 1DX and a 5D3 I found the same as I have now, a preference for focus and clean ISO over resolution. High MP bodies don't always offer an advantage, in my case its quite the opposite, the images I capture in lower light and more challenged situations I am happy to have less pixels but remain sharp and low in noise. Your choice is a tough call, but for me if you want a solid performer the 1DX will give you results, no matter what.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,400 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 19, 2017 11:23 |  #33

Canon called the 5D4 system "similar" to the 1DX2 during their announcement.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Dec 19, 2017 11:25 |  #34

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18521732 (external link)
Canon called the 5D4 system "similar" to the 1DX2 during their announcement.

Indeed, but no matter how similar the 1DX/5D3 and 1DX2/5D4 the 1 Series have dedicated processors for the AF. :)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,400 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 19, 2017 11:31 |  #35

I have had no issues in pro ball shooting with the 5D4 personally. Birds in erratic flight patterns would be different and more complicated, and I don't know how it would do in that space. However, I have my 5D4 set up to track the subjects, and it stays on them a majority of the time even with other players milling around. I also can watch a dunk start, pull up the camera, take aim and shoot off 2-3 shots as the dunk completes and the camera locks right on. It is as good as my 1D4 and 1D3 in the past, at least.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 19, 2017 11:38 |  #36

i really wish you all would quit changing my mind lol...

ive been watching a couple of different sites and see the 5d4 trending at $2400-$2500. ive seen a couple of places where the 1Dx (not the mk 2) are running right around the same with 100,000 or less shutter trips...

ive now chosen a 1Dx 3 times, and the 5D4 twice....

will it swing to 3 and 3 before i buy or will i end up with the 1D?

ill definitely let everyone know but talk about a rollercoaster ride trying to decide

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,400 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 19, 2017 11:54 |  #37

I like the better low ISO DR of the 5D4, the better AWB setting, the flicker control, and DPAF for video work, not to mention the resolution jump. I almost picked up a 1DX, but decided that the newer features and resolution would outweigh whatever the 1DX might provide. I only miss the burst speed at this point, 7 is okay, more would be nicer, but I don't do alot of bursts in sports.

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 7 months ago by arthurbikemad.

Dec 19, 2017 11:58 |  #38

No matter what you choose you will always wonder should I have got the other, would the other be better, the only way to get round that is try before you buy. What I would say is the 5D4 has great features not even found in the 1DX2 (full touch screen control, WiFi - Mobile App etc), the 5D4's DPAF and touchscreen features need good consideration over a 1DX Mk1 that's for sure!! WiFi plus GPS are top spec stuff in a small form factor body, that said it's also nice to know you can remove the grip if you want compact, no chance of that with the 1D. You will NOT be disappointed no matter what you choose. To say if the 5D4 AF is better than the 1DX Mark 1....well...tbh I think only Canon could truly answer that but I'd guess the advantage if any is very small, maybe lens drive, i.e the power the 1D has to drive a big white = faster AF?, years back Canon did say the 1D had more power to drive larger AF motors in larger lenses. Good luck.

edit:- I agree with @teamspeed, there is a lot the 5D4 has to offer. I'd not want to choose haha

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,408 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 19, 2017 13:39 |  #39

umphotography wrote in post #18521640 (external link)
Im mot so sure I agree with this.

I cant find anything on the net to dispute this either. I believe the 5D4 is a little sister AF system to the 1Dx2 much like the 5D3 and 1DX1 systems were when they were introduced.

So I dont think its the same. I think its a little sister version.

No where in my post did I compare the 5D4 to the 1Dx2.

If I did, I would have mentioned that, just as I mentioned with the 1DX, the 1Dx II has significantly more processing power to put towards AF. In the case of the 1DxII it is putting that additional AF power into the SAME AF system as the 5D4, and thus is the clear winner.

When we compare 5D4 to 1Dx, as I did above, the two have different AF systems, the 1Dx's system being older and less capable with reduced features, and yet still more capable processing power to handle the AF tracking at much faster frame rates. So in that case, the 1Dx has some advantages, and the 5D4 has some advantage, it is not a matter of simply better, but different and different people will find different systems more to their advantage based on what they shoot.

Call it the little sister if you must, but by your analogy they are at least siblings, maybe even twins with different interests.

Where as the 5D4 vs. 1Dx is more close cousins with differing strengths.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,819 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 19, 2017 13:58 |  #40

Canon no longer seem to disclose the more specific details of their control architecture in the 1D-series cameras (or any other series, for that matter). But back when they did, the later 1D-series were special since they had a multi-processor configuration.

Two Digic CPUs working together with processing images as they are taken. One of these Digic chips is also responsible for the rear display and the memory card interface.
A separate RISC architecture CPU dedictaed to sequence control in the camera. That implies exposure metering, shutter and mirror control, user interface (buttons and all other displays), flash and lens communication.
Yet another RISC based CPU dedicated to AF processing.

So, at least at that time, it was not so that the 1D-series had two processors, one for the image, the other for AF. Instead they had four real CPUs, and another semi-intelligent slave interfacing with the lenses and two more CPUs in the lens and one in the flash... It's really a multi-processing environment.

However, Canon also claimed that the extra AF processor was needed due to the high frame rate of the 1D-series of cameras. Still, if you can make an AF decision twice as fast, that should also imply that you can make two decisions in the same time as the simpler camera makes one. So even when not using the full frame rate of the 1D-series camera, you may gain in AF performance from the additional AF CPU.

In the 1DX and 1DX Mark II, there's yet another Digic chip just to control the light metering, as the high resolution metering chip used for iTR focusing and metering requires more processing power.

Anders

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 19, 2017 14:09 |  #41

Ltdave wrote in post #18521759 (external link)
i really wish you all would quit changing my mind lol...

ive now chosen a 1Dx 3 times, and the 5D4 twice....

ill definitely let everyone know but talk about a rollercoaster ride trying to decide

The important thing to realize is that this really isn't a very important decision. . Which of these cameras you end up with will not have a very noticeable effect on the images you produce, because they are so similar in so many ways.

There may be a few scenarios where the camera you get will produce marginally better results than you would have gotten with the other camera. And there may be a couple of other scenarios where the other camera would have given you better results than the one you ended up with.

But these exceptional scenarios will cancel each other out. . And 98% of the time it won't make any difference at all which of these cameras you used.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2017 14:56 |  #42

To the OP,

I thought this may interest you:

rantercsr wrote in post #18521023 (external link)
I bought this Canon 5D4 from canon refurbished.. it is a refurbished model..

purchased on 11/13/17
so I own it just a little over a month.. ( I have receipts to prove that ) still has Canon warranty on it ..

It is in excellent condition .. fully functional.

Comes with everything seen in pics posted .. battery , cable , strap(never used , still in sealed plastic) and a Sandisk exptreme pro 128gig CF card I bought at the same time.....valued new at about $139

Asking $2525. shipped for everything..
Reasonable offers will be considered.

Paypal or cash if being picked up .. Located in Queens , NY.. 5 minutes from LaGuardia airport.
ships USPS within 48 hours of receiving payment.

rantercsr wrote in post #18521905 (external link)
bump... price is negotiable

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 19, 2017 15:17 |  #43

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18521893 (external link)
The important thing to realize is that this really isn't a very important decision. . Which of these cameras you end up with will not have a very noticeable effect on the images you produce, because they are so similar in so many ways.

There may be a few scenarios where the camera you get will produce marginally better results than you would have gotten with the other camera. And there may be a couple of other scenarios where the other camera would have given you better results than the one you ended up with.

But these exceptional scenarios will cancel each other out. . And 98% of the time it won't make any difference at all which of these cameras you used.

i know. id probably be happy with a 2nd 5D3 but since that camera is now pushing 5 years (+?) old technology, i thought id do something to upgrade a little bit. my biggest concern was i wanted cleaner high ISO and as far as i can tell, both will be cleaner than the 5D3...

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18521934 (external link)
To the OP,

I thought this may interest you:

im leery of refurbished. even being Canon factory. I got a 7D refurb and was completely unhappy with it. the AA filter was very strong and interfered with the IQ (in my humble opinion) and the exposure was VERY sensitive to being spot on. over/under by more than a stop was virtually impossible to work with in LR (at the time with my level of expertise) and it would NOT focus with any of my lenses. i sent it in for calibration and Canon New Jersey replied back in their report, "we adjusted the exposure" really? they didnt address the lack of focus and so ive done everything to avoid another refurb. thank you though!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 19, 2017 16:12 |  #44

Ltdave wrote in post #18521960 (external link)
i know. id probably be happy with a 2nd 5D3 but since that camera is now pushing 5 years (+?) old technology, i thought id do something to upgrade a little bit. my biggest concern was i wanted cleaner high ISO and as far as i can tell, both will be cleaner than the 5D3...

Oh, right, yes, of course there will be an appreciable difference coming from a 5D3. . By all means, upgrade, because upgrading will make a positive difference in the images you create.

However, what you upgrade to doesn't matter, because there will be practically no difference between the 5D4 or the 1Dx when it comes to "getting the shot", nor will there be any appreciable difference in the files of either when you do get the shot........unless you are shooting finely detailed textures and printing big, in which case the increased pixel count of the 5D4 would result in more resolved detail, all else being equal.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,408 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 7 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 16:14 |  #45

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18521893 (external link)
The important thing to realize is that this really isn't a very important decision. ...

Indeed, and since we are mostly discussing AF, it is very important to point out that yes, there was a time when if AF was important to you, and you shot Canon (or any other brand for that matter) the only AF system that really got the job done was a 1D. With the introduction of the 5D3 (and to some extent the 7D, definitely with 7D2), this was changed and has not been the case for some time.

1D2/3 vs. 5D/5D2, 20D-50D etc. 1D system was light years ahead in AF.

1Dx Vs. 5D4, it's a wash as there are some things the 1Dx does better and some things the 5D4 does better, and in each case the "better" is only a small incremental boost, vs. the old planetary shift.

The ONLY Canon AF that beats the 5D4 is in the 1DX2

1Dx it's a matter of which AF feature is more important to the shooter.

5D4 AF without question beats all other 1D bodies (and therefore all other Canon bodies ever made)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

15,553 views & 63 likes for this thread
5D4 or 1DX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.