Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Dec 2017 (Friday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on shipping photgraphic gear

abhivg
37 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 22, 2017 15:17 |  #1

Hi,

I have been a longtime lurker on this site. I would like to sell my Canon gear. I wanted to deal locally and posted on Craigslist but didn't get anywhere. I am thinking to post in the WTS section here. But since that involves shipping, which I have zero experience of, I was wondering if you guys could provide me some details before I dive in.

Here's what I would like to know:
1. How do I calculate the shipping cost for a lens/camera? Or should I just state my expected price for the gear and say 'plus hipping costs'? Most posts in the WTS here, people have included the shipping costs.
2. Should I always go for shipping + tracking + signature on delivery + insurance? I do not have the receipt for my camera and older lens, since I didn't get all that along when I shifted to the US. Will I need that for the insurance?

thanks,
Abhi

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,686 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by Nogo.

Dec 22, 2017 15:46 |  #2

The selling price and size of what you are selling determines what advice we would give you on this subject.

I personally like listings including the PayPal fees and shipping included in the price. Personally if a sale is under $500 or so I would self insure the package and leave the signature part up to negotiations. In a safe neighborhood tracking is enough for amounts I am willing to self insure. In other neighborhoods, a signature protects the buyer and the seller so the inconvenience may be worth the trouble.

The amount you are willing to self insure is dependant on your own financial situation so only you can make that call.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

jmckayak
445 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Dec 22, 2017 16:50 |  #3

Be sure to pack well. Item in plastic bag, bubble wrap around that, more stuffing, then use too much tape on the box. Use your printer for the label and tape over that. And keep the buyer informed. Oh yeah, and NO PayPal Gift!
GLWS!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,703 posts
Gallery: 1096 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by MalVeauX.

Dec 22, 2017 17:03 |  #4

abhivg wrote in post #18524169 (external link)
Hi,

I have been a longtime lurker on this site. I would like to sell my Canon gear. I wanted to deal locally and posted on Craigslist but didn't get anywhere. I am thinking to post in the WTS section here. But since that involves shipping, which I have zero experience of, I was wondering if you guys could provide me some details before I dive in.

Here's what I would like to know:
1. How do I calculate the shipping cost for a lens/camera? Or should I just state my expected price for the gear and say 'plus hipping costs'? Most posts in the WTS here, people have included the shipping costs.
2. Should I always go for shipping + tracking + signature on delivery + insurance? I do not have the receipt for my camera and older lens, since I didn't get all that along when I shifted to the US. Will I need that for the insurance?

thanks,
Abhi

Hi Abhi,

I've bought & sold lots and lots of stuff here on POTN. Great community for it.

I use Paypal exclusively because it has protection on both ends, and links to USPS for shipping so that you can set up that part without going anywhere and just drop it off at a post office. Personal preference, I prefer this method, over going to a store and having them do it. The funds come out of my sale so it draws from my Paypal balance.

I price my stuff to sale. I am not a competitive seller. I look at what things are commonly selling for by looking around POTN & FM and checking Ebay for what things have sold for. I typically will then drop my price below that number, just a little. I typically include shipping & paypal fees in my price so that it's all inclusive, I get quick sales that way. Paypal will take 3% of the cut. Shipping will then be another little bit. Depends on size, weight and distance. I don't do international shipping. So if I want $100 in my pocket, I price my item to be whatever will include the 3% Paypal fee and what I assume the shipping will be (Such as $10 or less for something small, or $20 for a full 1D size camera in it's original box). So that may be anywhere from $15~30 out of my pocket, so I take that into account. I would need to sell for about $115~$130 to get that $100 in my pocket. Now I don't typically do that. I typically sell my items at a price that I know will attract a sale that very day, or at least 2~3 days later tops, as I do not like sitting on something for weeks and answering low ball offers waiting to get the right buyer. I don't mind losing $20~50 here and there on higher dollar items to ensure a smooth, quick sale. I always include Paypal fee & Shipping in my prices to get more buyers fast. I always undersell my prices compared to what's common to also get more buyers, by just a little. Enough to get attention.

With USPS, if it's 1lb or less, I can ship for about $4~6. Over 1lb, it goes up. But, I typically ship things for less than $20 shipping (that's anywhere in the USA, with insurance & signature). For boxes, I reuse my Amazon boxes or other boxes I have laying around. I keep the boxes as small as I can, with room for lots of packaging material as I wrap all items if they're not already in stock packing (in which case I do box within box). Anything not in a box gets double wrapped in bubble wrap. I re-use those air pocket packing things I get with all my Amazon orders. I save them for these uses.

I used to use UPS, but now I use USPS for everything. I like that I can print the shipping label from within Paypal and it will auto-link the tracking and stuff to the transaction for the buyer. I just weigh my package myself and measure it and enter the numbers in, tell it my insurance amount, tell it my other options like signature on delivery, and I print a label and tape it on my box and drop it off at the post office whenever I want, no lines, no waiting, etc. I prefer this. It's so much simpler. And I don't have to worry about messing up addresses, as it uses the confirmed address of the Paypal buyer. And again, Paypal buyer protection, and then USPS insurance on top of that. For high dollar items, I like layers of protection on both sides. For cheap items, I keep it simple and don't insure or do signature, as they're small enough to go in a mail box and cheap enough that if something went wrong, it would cost more to insure it and do signature than it would be to just buy it again (think cheap like a filter, or something).

No receipts are needed. You can choose arbitrary numbers.

For example, I recently sold a 135L. I asked $650 shipped & fees covered for it. Paypal took $19 for the transaction and their buyer's protection for that amount. Shipping was another $20-ish (because I insured it for $600 and had signature on delivery). So I lost $40 out of pocket for the sale, but it sold right away and frankly I'm not worried about $40 compared to sitting on something for weeks and weeks while I see several others selling the same item and it not being sold. So there's an example of how I do things.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,606 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 22, 2017 19:25 |  #5

I agree with the others. Price it right. Pack it right. Treat your buyer right.

Be completely honest about condition, and price accordingly. I buy and sell a LOT of photo gear. I sold everything I've ever listed, mainly because I price it to sell, not to maximize my sale price. (Just listed a 70-200, still waiting for buyer.)

I use a lot of air-pack (bubble wrap/air bags) and styrofoam peanuts. Like Mal said, use too much tape. I use USPS for shipping because I can ship my package while sitting in the den in my underwear. They frown on going to the UPS Store in your undies. Print labels, pay (discount for online), and schedule a pick at USPS.com, all without pants if you prefer.

Set one price for your item, and bargain from there. No need to confuse your buyer with "$XXX + shipping, and we'll split the PP fees." Tell the buyer how much to pay. Period.

Tell the buyer when you will ship. Then do it. Give them a tracking number as soon as you have it. Watch the tracking. Follow up your sale.

Tom

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 23, 2017 09:36 |  #6

What everyone else said. Make sure you insure the package and it is a nice touch if you include a receipt for the buyer as most of us add the gear to our insurance. (use the total price paid and not your number after fees and shipping)

It also helps if you update your profile with your location as there are buyers everywhere and you may find a local sale. If I can save $50-$100 by picking up locally it becomes a far better deal.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,836 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2017 22:09 |  #7

Another thing, take pictures as you pack thing. Nice in case an issue arrives later.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

abhivg
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 14, 2018 13:16 |  #8

Thanks @Nogo, @jmckayak, @MalVeauX, @Bassat, @mikeinctown, @bobbyz !!!

Been away for some time, saw the replies today.
Thanks guys for the great tips, this really gives me confidence to first post it here :)

abhivg
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 14, 2018 13:21 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #9

Special thanks to MalVeaux for the awesome detailed explaination :-)

sponsored links

770 views & 18 likes for this thread
Info on shipping photgraphic gear
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.