Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

GlimmerMan
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2017 20:08 |  #8701

Killer image, sir. I've gone back to look at it 4 or 5 times.

X100T XT3
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,488 posts
Gallery: 482 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 18, 2017 20:42 |  #8702

yeamans17 wrote in post #18521294 (external link)
Spirit level on both the tripod clamp and hot shoe as well as the in camera 5D4 level. My tripod was leveled before adding my camera and the head was also leveled after the shot was framed.

those are all great to get as close as you can in the field...but they are not perfect. The in body level of the Sony A7R2 is off, not much, .3 degrees...

I checked your image, and that number I threw out was not random. IT was the best I could get from a web res file...here is what I do, a combination of something Athena Carey taught me and my own mod of that...

1-in PS, drag a vertical guide to the left side of the horizon, and a horizontal guide down to that same point, and make them cross on a point on the horizon.
2-Do the same somewhere on the right side of the horizon line.
3-Using the ruler tool draw a point between the cross points of those two sets of guides, this will put a line on your image that is not permanent, and won't be there if you refresh.
4-Go to Image, Rotate, Arbitrary...it will bring up a number that will level that line from the rule. Hit Enter.
5-Horizon will be straight...best way I have found.

The eye can pick up those little imbalances in an image...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,488 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 18, 2017 20:42 |  #8703

GlimmerMan wrote in post #18521323 (external link)
Killer image, sir. I've gone back to look at it 4 or 5 times.

Many thanks, that is the real test of an image, if it keeps the viewer coming back...thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,100 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 19, 2017 00:49 |  #8704

In Lightroom I simply click the level tool and drag it across the horizon and it levels it in one click. Seems to work fine

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 19, 2017 04:15 |  #8705

xpfloyd wrote in post #18521483 (external link)
In Lightroom I simply click the level tool and drag it across the horizon and it levels it in one click. Seems to work fine

I can't see why that shouldn't be the quickest and easiest way most of the time. If the image is more 'complicated', I usually try to get it level by homing in on something towards the centre of the image that should be vertical and aligning with that ... again in LR.

I agree with others that for certain images (most especially open landscapes or architectural shots) even a very fractional deviation from vertical/horizontal can be obvious to the eye and strangely irritating.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,488 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2017 08:31 |  #8706

xpfloyd wrote in post #18521483 (external link)

my problem with that is you can't zoom in to a close range to make sure you are accurate...so I save it for my workflow in PS.

DaviSto wrote in post #18521522 (external link)
I can't see why that shouldn't be the quickest and easiest way most of the time. If the image is more 'complicated', I usually try to get it level by homing in on something towards the centre of the image that should be vertical and aligning with that ... again in LR.

I agree with others that for certain images (most especially open landscapes or architectural shots) even a very fractional deviation from vertical/horizontal can be obvious to the eye and strangely irritating.

It should be fast, and in ACR it was, because you could zoom in while using the level tool...I have not found that LR will allow that.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,110 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 19, 2017 09:38 |  #8707

TRhoads wrote in post #18521605 (external link)
my problem with that is you can't zoom in to a close range to make sure you are accurate...so I save it for my workflow in PS.

It should be fast, and in ACR it was, because you could zoom in while using the level tool...I have not found that LR will allow that.

Capture one does zoomed straightening and 4 point verticals ;-)a

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Dec 19, 2017 09:56 |  #8708

Charlie wrote in post #18521644 (external link)
Capture one does zoomed straightening and 4 point verticals ;-)a

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to ... but I am pretty certain that the current version of Lightroom has the same feature. It certainly zooms* and I've just perspective corrected a church interior using three separate vertical guides. I would have used four but I couldn't find another significant should-be-vertical line in my image to square up. Lightroom would have been happy to accept an additional guide for correction purposes, I'd just run out of things to make vertical.

I don't think there is any material difference here. Never having used Capture One, I can't be 100% sure.

*by that, I mean it presents a magnified image of each correction point as you seek to register it so that it can be placed very precisely on an intended vertical.

David.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,488 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2017 10:13 |  #8709

DaviSto wrote in post #18521655 (external link)
I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to ... but I am pretty certain that the current version of Lightroom has the same feature. It certainly zooms* and I've just perspective corrected a church interior using three separate vertical guides. I would have used four but I couldn't find another significant should-be-vertical line in my image to square up. Lightroom would have been happy to accept an additional guide for correction purposes, I'd just run out of things to make vertical.

I don't think there is any material difference here. Never having used Capture One, I can't be 100% sure.

*by that, I mean it presents a magnified image of each correction point as you seek to register it so that it can be placed very precisely on an intended vertical.

I am referring to the fact that LR zooms out to fill the screen with the whole image so that you can see all four sides when you try to use the level tool...it won't stay zoomed in to 1:1 or 2:1...

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 19, 2017 10:17 |  #8710

TRhoads wrote in post #18521660 (external link)
I am referring to the fact that LR zooms out to fill the screen with the whole image so that you can see all four sides when you try to use the level tool...it won't stay zoomed in to 1:1 or 2:1...

I'm going to play around a little so that I can properly understand what you are referring to here. I know you are pretty well up on this stuff so I'm not questioning what you say ... just trying to understand it better.

David.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,488 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2017 10:21 |  #8711

DaviSto wrote in post #18521666 (external link)
I'm going to play around a little so that I can properly understand what you are referring to here. I know you are pretty well up on this stuff so I'm not questioning what you say ... just trying to understand it better.

do this in LR...

set the zoom to 1:1. then click the crop tool...LR goes back to showing you the full image, fitting it in your workspace...click the level icon...it stays in the fit to view...it won't, or I have not found a way to go back to 1:1 while in the crop/level tool...if there is a way...I am all ears. I would love to learn something new today!

jcothron
Goldmember
3,339 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by jcothron.

Dec 19, 2017 10:24 |  #8712

TRhoads wrote in post #18521670 (external link)
do this in LR...

set the zoom to 1:1. then click the crop tool...LR goes back to showing you the full image, fitting it in your workspace...click the level icon...it stays in the fit to view...it won't, or I have not found a way to go back to 1:1 while in the crop/level tool...if there is a way...I am all ears. I would love to learn something new today!

Travis is correct. You cannot use the tool for making sure horizons are straight when zoomed in in Lr. That being said, I have not had an issue getting them straight personally.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
3,339 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by jcothron.

Dec 24, 2017 06:34 |  #8713

I just received my 6 and 10 stop ND filters from Breakthrough Photography. Although I plan to do some more in depth testing here is a quick review.

Packaging, and physical quality: Packaging is better than any filter I've ever received (think Apple iPhone type packaging). Each filter comes with it's on soft case that I'm sure is sufficient, although perhaps a little bulky if you carry many filters. The appearance of the actual filters ( I have received a 3 stop soft GND, 6 stop ND, and 10 stop ND so far) is very high quality.

Quick shots yesterday morning to look at color cast:

No filter:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8cTLHQz/0/d8316fcb/X2/i-8cTLHQz-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-8cTLHQz-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

6 stop ND

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Nn9hthn/0/4ada7cd9/X2/i-Nn9hthn-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-Nn9hthn-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

10 stop ND (246 seconds)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-29mXZvQ/0/557c9de9/X2/i-29mXZvQ-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-29mXZvQ-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

In short, you don't have to do much if anything when shooting these filters with regards to color balance. Using auto white balance they were all within 300 of each other (Lightroom) and visually very close. I made custom adjustments to get them as exact as possible and ended up within 200 of each other. I did notice that I decreased the tint from no filter to the 10 stop from 14-8 respectively.

I haven't done a lot of testing yet, but so far I'm extremely pleased with the product presentation as well as the results. I'll do a more thorough review when I receive the rest of my filters.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 24, 2017 11:07 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #8714

Taken with the Lee Big Stopper (10 stops), ISO 100, 60 seconds at f/22:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

lijoec
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 24, 2017 12:18 |  #8715

imageswest wrote in post #18525414 (external link)
Taken with the Lee Big Stopper (10 stops), ISO 100, 60 seconds at f/22:
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by imageswest in
./showthread.php?p=185​25414&i=i108976492
forum: Nature & Landscapes

Excellent Image!! so much depth and textures it's like eye candy!

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

sponsored links

3,042,539 views & 9,862 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.