Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How painful is the switch from LR to Capture One?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2017 13:51 |  #46

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527133 (external link)
One of my biggest reasons for wanting to try C1 was highlight recovery, I've always had trouble with whites in Lightroom and ACR, and I've seen some dratamatic examples of highlight/white recovery with C1. After a little experimentation with C1 I am unable to see any dramatic improvement. The C1 tools are very different than LR/ACR, so I may be missing something.

Two negatives strike me so far - I miss the adjustment brush and graduated filter in LR. And I do NOT like the way C1 creates a TIFF file every time I send an image to Photoshop.

The first attached image is with C1. Second is with LR.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by KatManDEW in
./showthread.php?p=185​27133&i=i86719871
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​27133&i=i6294667

C1 had a grad filter, and adjustment brush. You can apply just about any adjustment available in C1 via grad or brush on a new layer. As far as highlight recovery, I don't think it's any better. Shadows maybe. Maybe. As far as creating a TIFF, that's something to be set in your "export/edit with" settings. Lr does the same thing by default as well. I don't usually use PSDs anyhow so it's never bothered me.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
KatManDEW
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 14:26 |  #47

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18527350 (external link)
C1 had a grad filter, and adjustment brush. You can apply just about any adjustment available in C1 via grad or brush on a new layer. As far as highlight recovery, I don't think it's any better. Shadows maybe. Maybe. As far as creating a TIFF, that's something to be set in your "export/edit with" settings. Lr does the same thing by default as well. I don't usually use PSDs anyhow so it's never bothered me.

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested to hear of, and see examples, of why C1 is a better raw editor than Lightroom (or ACR).

I haven't found the grad and brush in C1 yet, but I'll keep looking.

I've been unable to get C1 to stop creating a TIFF file and store it on my computer, every time I send a image from C1 to Photoshop. The only time I've ever had that kind of problem with Lightroom is when I need a update for ACR. Otherwise I've never had Lightroom create and store TIFF when sending images to Photoshop.

I really would like to hear of, and see examples, of why C1 is a better raw editor than Lightroom (or ACR).

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2017 14:43 |  #48

The red circles are for the adjustment brush/gradient mask and for the layer panel. Open the layer panel and create a new layer (simply click on the "+" symbol) then select either the adjustment brush or the gradient mask tool. Hit the "M" key to see or hide the mask. If you want to export a PSD for Ps you have to go into the process panel and export it manually. A bit more work than using "edit with" but it will do what you want. C1 11 may have that option in the "edit with" menu, but I'm still using C1 9. If there is a tool you want to use in the adjustment layer and it's not on the panel, simply right click the panel, select "add tool" and pick a tool from the list.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,005 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 27, 2017 14:55 |  #49

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527133 (external link)
One of my biggest reasons for wanting to try C1 was highlight recovery, I've always had trouble with whites in Lightroom and ACR, and I've seen some dratamatic examples of highlight/white recovery with C1. After a little experimentation with C1 I am unable to see any dramatic improvement. The C1 tools are very different than LR/ACR, so I may be missing something.

Two negatives strike me so far - I miss the adjustment brush and graduated filter in LR. And I do NOT like the way C1 creates a TIFF file every time I send an image to Photoshop.

The first attached image is with C1. Second is with LR.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​27133&i=i86719871

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​27133&i=i6294667

The recovered highlights on around the tail feathers seem much better in C1. This is why I stuck with it too, both highlight and shadow recovery were better.

Some type of file must be created to go into a pixel editor, would a JPG be a better option for you?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 27, 2017 15:10 |  #50

Reading this thread prompted me to download C1 trial, version 11, I believe. Tried twice on each machine (Win7, Win8) to install it. It locked up both times on both machines. So much for that.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 27, 2017 15:13 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Highlight recovery has been my main issue with what I shoot. Team with white jersey and I am shooting with a manual speedlite. That means that the closer the riders are to my speedlite, the chance of blown out highlight is much greater. C1 saved my ass ALL the time here....

Without highlight recovery and exposure adjustment...

HOSTED PHOTO

Reduced the exposure by 1/3 of a stop and applying 65% to highlight recovery.

HOSTED PHOTO

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 10 months ago by kirkt. (4 edits in all)

Dec 27, 2017 15:55 |  #52

In addition to the “Highlight” slider for recovering highlights, also consider the film curve variations for your camera. Usually the default choice is “auto” which usually applies the standard “film” curve- try “linear” if you need to uncompress your highlights. Then go about adjusting exposure, contrast, etc.

You can not adjust the LR/ACR tone curve unless you create a custom profile.

If you cannot find the local adjustments in C1 it is because you have not bothered to read the manual, watch the tutorial videos on the C1 website, or google it on the Bing. Or, you are using a really old version of the software.

https://www.youtube.co​m/phaseone (external link)

Follow the video lists to the capture one channel.

You can use a local adjustment on highlight areas that need more uncompressing than the highlight will give you by painting in a local exposure adjustment, etc.

Kirk

Kirk
---

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,041 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 27, 2017 16:03 |  #53

KatManDEW wrote in post #18526809 (external link)
I just got the trial version of C1 today. I imported my lightroom catalog but it only imported 199 out of 10,000 photos. I've tried it a couple times and get the same result. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Lightroomm CC.

I've pulled a couple images into C1 individually. Does C1 create a TIFF when I send an image from C1 to Photoshop?

LR CC version 1 is not the same as LR Classic CC version 7.1 which is LR6's replacement. LR CC was introduced in October for mobile devices. It has limited functions compared to Classic. Perhaps this is the issue?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Alveric
Goldmember
4,516 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 27, 2017 17:23 |  #54

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527366 (external link)
Thanks for the reply. I'm interested to hear of, and see examples, of why C1 is a better raw editor than Lightroom (or ACR).

I haven't found the grad and brush in C1 yet, but I'll keep looking.

I've been unable to get C1 to stop creating a TIFF file and store it on my computer, every time I send a image from C1 to Photoshop. The only time I've ever had that kind of problem with Lightroom is when I need a update for ACR. Otherwise I've never had Lightroom create and store TIFF when sending images to Photoshop.

I really would like to hear of, and see examples, of why C1 is a better raw editor than Lightroom (or ACR).

The highlight and shadow recovery tools alone blow LR out of the water. With LR, once the sliders go beyond ~1/3 of the way more and more non-highlight/shadow tones start to become affected. C1P leaves those self-same tones alone and works only on the shadows or highlights, as such a tool should.

You need to create recipes for output. This might seem tedious at first, but it's a better workflow approach. I leave the TIFF file recipe on all the time whilst I do my adjustments, then I uncheck it and check any of the JPG recipes when I'm about to export the file, depending on destination: I have several JPG recipes, one for Flickr, one for printing, &c.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

KatManDEW
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 18:55 |  #55

digital paradise wrote in post #18527451 (external link)
LR CC version 1 is not the same as LR Classic CC version 7.1 which is LR6's replacement. LR CC was introduced in October for mobile devices. It has limited functions compared to Classic. Perhaps this is the issue?

Capture One tech support has been working with my to try to figure out why only a tiny fraction of my Lightroom catalog will import into C1.

KatManDEW
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 18:58 |  #56

kirkt wrote in post #18527442 (external link)
In addition to the “Highlight” slider for recovering highlights, also consider the film curve variations for your camera. Usually the default choice is “auto” which usually applies the standard “film” curve- try “linear” if you need to uncompress your highlights. Then go about adjusting exposure, contrast, etc.

You can not adjust the LR/ACR tone curve unless you create a custom profile.

If you cannot find the local adjustments in C1 it is because you have not bothered to read the manual, watch the tutorial videos on the C1 website, or google it on the Bing. Or, you are using a really old version of the software.

https://www.youtube.co​m/phaseone (external link)

Follow the video lists to the capture one channel.

You can use a local adjustment on highlight areas that need more uncompressing than the highlight will give you by painting in a local exposure adjustment, etc.

Kirk

It's not that I haven't bothered, it's that I haven't had time yet. Part of the time that I've had to experiment with C1 had been consumed with figuring out why my Lightroom catalog will not import. And I also have photos that I need to process, using my current workflow.

KatManDEW
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 19:00 |  #57

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18527388 (external link)
The recovered highlights on around the tail feathers seem much better in C1. This is why I stuck with it too, both highlight and shadow recovery were better.

Some type of file must be created to go into a pixel editor, would a JPG be a better option for you?

Yes, it is a little better. And I may be able to do better when I have time to experiment with it more.

Lightroom sends images to Photoshop without creating TIFF files on my hard drive.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,005 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Dec 27, 2017 19:11 |  #58

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527569 (external link)
Lightroom sends images to Photoshop without creating TIFF files on my hard drive.

It's been years since I worked with Lr, but I think that you will need to create a new file if you want to save the changes in Ps. Really just delaying the inevitable.

And if can't see the difference in the highlights, which is obvious to me, use the info dialog and run the cursor over the area to get a readout of the values ... could be that your monitor doesn't make it clear. The numbers don't lie.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Alveric
Goldmember
4,516 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by Alveric.

Dec 27, 2017 19:21 |  #59

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527569 (external link)
Yes, it is a little better. And I may be able to do better when I have time to experiment with it more.

Different approaches, I guess, but I always output TIFF files when sending an image to PS. I do not want to be working on lossy files such as JPEGs when I still have to do adjustments, retouching, cleaning up, and sharpening. I have C1P send 16-bit TIFF files to PS. Once I'm done with an image, I can always save it as JPEG for web or print.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

KatManDEW
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 19:24 |  #60

Alveric wrote in post #18527579 (external link)
Different approaches, I guess, but I always output TIFF files when sending an image to PS. I do not want to be working on lossy files such as JPEGs when I still have to do adjustments, retouching, cleaning up, and sharpening. I have C1P send 16-bit TIFF files to PS. Once I'm done with an image, I can always save it as JPEG for web or print.

I am sending images from LR to Photoshop in ProPhoto colorspace. Are they being sent to Photoshop as a JPEG?

sponsored links

15,408 views & 15 likes for this thread
How painful is the switch from LR to Capture One?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.