Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

looking for a good tutorial to how denoise images without destroing texture

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by mantra. (2 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2017 09:51 |  #1

Hi
i shoot always raw with my canon 5d mk3

well i'm looking for a good tutorial to denoise my noisy images without destroing the texture

i used lightroom classic cc, and photoshop cc ,i have these denoiser nik (included define pro ) and noiseware

i was watching a video http://www.lensworkonl​ine.com …%20ISO,%20Low%2​0Noise.mp4 (external link) and i read a tutorial about take several shots to get the best results

well , i don't take several photos outside i thinking about process them for hdr

may i ask you which skill/technique do you use to denoise your image without loosing texture?

thanks
happy holidays

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by kirkt.

Dec 23, 2017 10:58 |  #2

The video to which you linked describes increasing signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) by pixel averaging. Astrophotographers routinely use this technique, and other techniques like bias and dark frame subtraction, to boost SNR.

For image averaging, the percent reduction in the original random noise goes as:

1/SQRT(n)

where "n" is the number of images used in the averaging operation. So, for example, if you use 4 images, it will reduce the original random noise to 50% of the original.

Using this technique requires that the noise is random, and does not have a pattern. There are obvious limitations to this technique, the same as most computational techniques - camera shake, object motion, ghosting, alignment, etc. all will cause this technique to fail.

FWIW, the DxO ONE camera shoots a raw format the call "SuperRAW" where the camera takes four exposures in rapid succession and creates a single raw file out of the result. This format can be read by DxO software and provides an additional level of noise reduction.

The most useful noise reduction technique depends upon the shooting situation and the exposure parameters that you need to keep fixed to achieve your exposure. As long as your noise is random, there are several solutions out there, each with their strengths and limitations - most of them have trials that you can use to see the results and figure out if the specific tool fits into your workflow.

Ironically, once fairly strong noise reduction is applied you might find that you get a more pleasing image by adding some "grain" back into the image. Adding grain, or noise, sometimes improves the appearance of the image by effectively increasing the image's accutance.

I use Neat Image, when necessary, on RGB images. On raw files, DxO's PRIME noise reduction seems to preserve the most detail in a raw file, but YMMV.

If you want to experiment with image averaging for noise reduction, try some astrophotography software - Franzen Denoise permits the user to also feed it a set of images to average as well as a dark and a bias frame.

In the end, decreasing noise is best accomplished by achieving the best possible exposure. You can also experiment with the in-camera noise reduction function 9should your camera have one) and see if you get better results from the camera's NR than post-processing software.

kirk

Kirk
---

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2017 11:25 |  #3

kirkt wrote in post #18524662 (external link)
The most useful noise reduction technique depends upon the shooting situation and the exposure parameters that you need to keep fixed to achieve your exposure. As long as your noise is random, there are several solutions out there, each with their strengths and limitations - most of them have trials that you can use to see the results and figure out if the specific tool fits into your workflow.

kirk

Hi Kirk

i have taken several photos about wooden statues made by a famous craftsman
sadly i had not my gear and i had to use not my camera and my lenses

i tried to use find edges (to create a mask to avoid noise on the texture i use it often to sharp an image )& noiseware but with ugly results
thanks

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2017 14:39 |  #4

Can you show a couple of samples. I just use LR but I'm careful with the Detail sliders and I use the masking slider quite a bit to prevent sharpening of visible noise. Is it both colour and luminance?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by agedbriar.

Dec 23, 2017 17:01 |  #5

I can't help you obtain a better noise reduction, but I suggest that if you use your own copy of Noiseware for images taken with a borrowed camera, you check the "Turn off self-learning for this image" option.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 23, 2017 17:05 |  #6

Don't use noise reduction globally. Use it as local adjustment applied via brush, radial filter, graduated mask, luminosity range mask or color range mask.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2017 17:59 |  #7

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=KkrYXOszvfI (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2017 18:21 |  #8

This one gets to what you need quicker.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ZPX82LMJMiI (external link)

Image Editing OK

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,752 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Bassat.

Dec 23, 2017 18:54 |  #9

Read POTN member TeamSpeed's primers on 'getting the most' from 7D and other cameras. Just reading his stuff took me from being happy with my 60D at 1600, to ecstatic with it at 6400. I've moved on from the 60D, but his techniques are still valid on 6D and 80D. I'll see if I can find some links.

Here is one: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1079​217&page=1

The techniques in this thread really got me going on shooting raw and processing my photos. I work mostly in LR6, but use NoiseWare every once in a while. If you spend some time developing a 'feel' for getting the most out each photo, you'll spend little time doing this, and it opens up the entire ISO range your camera is capable of. I have no fear of using my 80D at ISO 16000, or my 6D at ISO 25600. Some of that is certainly my tolerance level.

Tom

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 24, 2017 00:59 |  #10

agedbriar wrote in post #18524932 (external link)
I can't help you obtain a better noise reduction, but I suggest that if you use your own copy of Noiseware for images taken with a borrowed camera, you check the "Turn off self-learning for this image" option.

hi
there is no such option in noiseware 5 ,i haven't it
thanks

hi
thanks for the links ,is acr/lightroom denoiser so good
i see you suggest to use it , i think to edit in photoshop
thanks

MCAsan wrote in post #18524935 (external link)
Don't use noise reduction globally. Use it as local adjustment applied via brush, radial filter, graduated mask, luminosity range mask or color range mask.

hi
yes ,it what i want to do

Bassat wrote in post #18525008 (external link)
Read POTN member TeamSpeed's primers on 'getting the most' from 7D and other cameras. Just reading his stuff took me from being happy with my 60D at 1600, to ecstatic with it at 6400. I've moved on from the 60D, but his techniques are still valid on 6D and 80D. I'll see if I can find some links.

Here is one: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1079​217&page=1

The techniques in this thread really got me going on shooting raw and processing my photos. I work mostly in LR6, but use NoiseWare every once in a while. If you spend some time developing a 'feel' for getting the most out each photo, you'll spend little time doing this, and it opens up the entire ISO range your camera is capable of. I have no fear of using my 80D at ISO 16000, or my 6D at ISO 25600. Some of that is certainly my tolerance level.

hi
thanks for the links
i will try to search other tutotorials

digital paradise wrote in post #18524932 (external link)
II'm careful with the Detail sliders and I use the masking slider quite a bit to prevent sharpening of visible noise. Is it both colour and luminance?

hi
the noise is mosly in the lumincance
instead i thinking to use some techniques like slip frequency ,or luminocity mask or other
i will try to upload some photos
thanks

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,729 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 24, 2017 08:50 |  #11

Blake does a good job of showing luminosity and color range masking that are now in Lr and ACR. You can use them to select a specific luminosity range or color range (such as a dark blue night sky) to which you can apply noise reduction.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=jy6fGUCSQtc (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by agedbriar.

Dec 25, 2017 06:49 |  #12

agedbriar wrote in post #18524932 (external link)

mantra wrote in post #18525184 (external link)
hi
there is no such option in noiseware 5 ,i haven't it
thanks

Not the same as in my older version, but I'd bet there is something equivalent in that drop-box down there:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

mantra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 28, 2017 01:43 as a reply to  @ agedbriar's post |  #13

hi
but the plugin is 32bit only
i have the new one v5 , there is no such option
thanks

sponsored links

2,950 views & 7 likes for this thread
looking for a good tutorial to how denoise images without destroing texture
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.