Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 07:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How painful is the switch from LR to Capture One?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,519 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 27, 2017 19:29 |  #61

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527580 (external link)
I am sending images from LR to Photoshop in ProPhoto colorspace. Are they being sent to Photoshop as a JPEG?

Just did a quick test with LR: LR sends the file over to PS as a dng, but when you save your changes, PS saves it as a 16-bit TIFF file. So, you end up with the same situation, by the looks of it. Unless you manually direct PS to save it as a JPEG.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,064 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 27, 2017 19:52 |  #62

Alveric wrote in post #18527582 (external link)
Just did a quick test with LR: LR sends the file over to PS as a dng, but when you save your changes, PS saves it as a 16-bit TIFF file. So, you end up with the same situation, by the looks of it. Unless you manually direct PS to save it as a JPEG.

Yup.

The DNG exists only in RAM (temporary) until it is saved to disk and you choose a format.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,095 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 27, 2017 19:58 |  #63

Alveric wrote in post #18527582 (external link)

I still export in LR. I send to PS as s Prophoto RGB. I press save when in PS and it opens it as a TIFF in LR. I immediately flag the original CS2. I even hide the CR2 under the TIFF but I don't have to. When done editing I choose Edit - Select Flagged Photos and then again Edit - Invert Selection. Now all the CR2's that I don't want exported won't be and the TIFFs that had additional edging in PS will.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

KatManDEW
643 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 20:15 |  #64

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18527599 (external link)
Yup.

The DNG exists only in RAM (temporary) until it is saved to disk and you choose a format.

Exactly. It only exists in RAM. A file is not save to disk unless you choose to do so.

KatManDEW
643 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 21:14 |  #65

digital paradise wrote in post #18527605 (external link)
I still export in LR. I send to PS as s Prophoto RGB. I press save when in PS and it opens it as a TIFF in LR. I immediately flag the original CS2. I even hide the CR2 under the TIFF but I don't have to. When done editing I choose Edit - Select Flagged Photos and then again Edit - Invert Selection. Now all the CR2's that I don't want exported won't be and the TIFFs that had additional edging in PS will.

That's basically what I do, but I don't very often press Save in PS to save a TIFF back into my Lightroom catalog. In short, I do not want all those (large) TIFF files saved, unless I choose to do so.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,095 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 27, 2017 22:00 |  #66

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527633 (external link)
That's basically what I do, but I don't very often press Save in PS to save a TIFF back into my Lightroom catalog. In short, I do not want all those (large) TIFF files saved, unless I choose to do so.

I only do it when editing events where I have about 10 out of hundreds that need additional editing and I'm motoring.

Image Editing OK

KatManDEW
643 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 27, 2017 22:06 |  #67

digital paradise wrote in post #18527659 (external link)
I only do it when editing events where I have about 10 out of hundreds that need additional editing and I'm motoring.

Basically the same for me. If I do extensive work in PS, and I don't want to save it with layers intact, I save the TIFF back into my LR catalog.

Now if it's a photo of a woman, and I did some frequency separation and what not, I save a PSD with layers, and a TIFF, and a JPEG, and say three hail Mary's :-)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,918 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2017 05:27 |  #68

Lr has one big advantage over all other RAW processors, it uses the same processing engine as ACR. So when you open an image in Ps from Lr it actually passes the edit instructions to ACR so that ACR can render and open the image directly to memory.

If you have an older version of Ps than of Lr, which could be very common back in the perpetual licence days, you would get the situation where you could not pass the image to ACR, as the instructions would be incompatible. So in that situation Lr would have to generate the file first, then open it in Ps. I had this for quite a while, using Ps CS5 with Lr 4.4. This is the only way that other programs can open the image in Ps, or any other pixel editing program for that matter.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

KatManDEW
643 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 28, 2017 07:38 |  #69

BigAl007 wrote in post #18527771 (external link)
Lr has one big advantage over all other RAW processors, it uses the same processing engine as ACR. So when you open an image in Ps from Lr it actually passes the edit instructions to ACR so that ACR can render and open the image directly to memory.

If you have an older version of Ps than of Lr, which could be very common back in the perpetual licence days, you would get the situation where you could not pass the image to ACR, as the instructions would be incompatible. So in that situation Lr would have to generate the file first, then open it in Ps. I had this for quite a while, using Ps CS5 with Lr 4.4. This is the only way that other programs can open the image in Ps, or any other pixel editing program for that matter.

Alan

Yes, I've had that happen with LR after getting a new version of LR because I got a new camera. I Adobe's case, I can see the ACR connection. And Adobe's trap that it creates... That's the ONLY reason that I'm using CC now...

I've done some programming, and still do with Visual Studio. Apparently it's not possible to DDE bitmap image data to Photoshop without the image opening up in ACR before Photoshop?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,095 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2017 09:38 |  #70

What I like is I set up the Develop Default Settings using LR only and if I open a RAW file in ACR directly they all apply.

Image Editing OK

KatManDEW
643 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 28, 2017 10:30 |  #71

digital paradise wrote in post #18527885 (external link)
What I like is I set up the Develop Default Settings using LR only and if I open a RAW file in ACR directly they all apply.

Yes... I just tried "Open With" (open with Photoshop) in C1, and the image opened in ACR without the adjustments that I made in C1. What good is that?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,095 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2017 10:40 |  #72

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527937 (external link)
Yes... I just tried "Open With" (open with Photoshop) in C1, and the image opened in ACR without the adjustments that I made in C1. What good is that?

I was just talking about LR and PS. Sorry about that.

Image Editing OK

KatManDEW
643 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 28, 2017 11:11 |  #73

digital paradise wrote in post #18527946 (external link)
I was just talking about LR and PS. Sorry about that.

I understand.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,918 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2017 13:43 |  #74

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527822 (external link)
Yes, I've had that happen with LR after getting a new version of LR because I got a new camera. I Adobe's case, I can see the ACR connection. And Adobe's trap that it creates... That's the ONLY reason that I'm using CC now...

I've done some programming, and still do with Visual Studio. Apparently it's not possible to DDE bitmap image data to Photoshop without the image opening up in ACR before Photoshop?

Well you can only run ACR as a Ps plug in, although of course you don't necessarily have to move the image into the Ps pixel editing environment. Given ACR's effectively special status as far as plugins goes, I don't suppose that the programming interface between them is public. Let's face it I would have thought it wouldn't be any harder for Adobe to have Lr render the image and pass it directly to the Ps editor environment, than to do it via ACR. Since Adobe can't or won't do it with Lr, I really don't see them allowing third party programs to pull of that trick.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,675 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 28, 2017 15:01 |  #75

KatManDEW wrote in post #18527937 (external link)

You need to use “”Edit with” to edit a version with C1’s changes in another application - that’s explained in the manual too.

“Open with” passes the original to whatever application you select, I.e., it opens the file in that application. Maybe you want to use that application for some part in your workflow, like lens correction.

Seriously, spend some time learning to use the software before complaining about it.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

15,531 views & 15 likes for this thread
How painful is the switch from LR to Capture One?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.