Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Jan 2016 (Friday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

YongNuo YN622C II : 622C-TX : YN685 Trigger Controller Flash

the ­ lazy ­ destroyer
80 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by the lazy destroyer. (2 edits in all)

Jan 27, 2016 20:09 |  #16

rmetal wrote in post #17875334 (external link)
Hi everyone, I just picked up a set of used 622-Cs and a 622-C-TX to use with my 60D and two SB-24s off camera. After playing for it with a little bit, I've come to realize that I cant set manual power with the TX for the SB-24s.

Is there any workaround to this, or should I just replace them with some Yongnuo flashes?

I don't really have a need for TTL or anything fancy, as I just use manual power, which would have been nice to be able to set with the TX.

622C's are only for control of the Canon flashes, or am I missing something?
Nikon's would use the 622N, but I have no idea if a 622C-TX can control a 622N... probably not?

By the way I just received my YN-622C-TX, YN-622C's, and YN-685 flash today... and I'm impressed, very intuitive and easy to figure out with just a little skimming through the manual. The 622C's controlled my Canon 430EX-II like a champ.
Only issue is that it seems like the 622C-TX only supports wireless zoom control up to 105mm... doesn't control my 685 up to the flash's max of 200mm...?

Canon EOS 7D EOS 7D Mark II | Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD ASP IF | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links
davinci953
203 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 27, 2016 22:29 |  #17

rmetal wrote in post #17875334 (external link)
Hi everyone, I just picked up a set of used 622-Cs and a 622-C-TX to use with my 60D and two SB-24s off camera. After playing for it with a little bit, I've come to realize that I cant set manual power with the TX for the SB-24s.

Is there any workaround to this, or should I just replace them with some Yongnuo flashes?

I don't really have a need for TTL or anything fancy, as I just use manual power, which would have been nice to be able to set with the TX.

You won't be able to set the power with the TX. I have a 430 EX, and the workaround to set the power from the TX is to turn on custom function 5 and set the flash to ETTL. I also have a YongNuo YN685, and I've been pleased with it thus far. From what I understand, the Nikon SB-24 is a very good flash. I'd hold on to them and use them in situations where it isn't inconvenient to set the power on the flash.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend downloading a copy of Clive's TOYUG II guide. It's an excellent resource on the 622 system.

https://drive.google.c​om …lZ1VNTE0/view?u​sp=sharing (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Gallery: 271 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

May 02, 2016 09:10 |  #18

Bump

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om …Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1​VNTE0/view (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 21, 2016 18:07 |  #19

Hi All,

I have a question arising from something I noticed at my last wedding. When I have the 622c-tx on camera, if not set to hss it will not go over sync speed even with the unit turned off. Is this as expected?

Also, I was using 2 off camera groups at the reception with my 4 568ii flashes with yn622 triggers on them. One of the flashes would trigger and then keep firing rapidly until I turned it off. I figured it was interference so I changed channels and it did the same thing so I gave up on that one. The batteries in the flash were fresh but I'm not sure about the trigger. Could low battery on the trigger cause an issue?

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 28, 2017 11:51 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I just got the 622n TX and yn685ex N for Nikon and shooting them with my D7200. I have been testing the supersync feature and this is what I can conclude. My finding is based on my flash meter measurement. That....when SS is supposed to be enabled on the TX, the power lost is roughly about 1+ stop. Adjusting the SS timing would move the clipping. Under Auto, it seems to create an even illumination. Now, as long as the shutter speed is at or under 1/320s, no power lost at all. This led me to believe that SS isn't really SS but some sorts of HSS instead.

Here is another confusing thing here. When I mounted my 685 on my shot shoe and firing under the manual power mode, the lost of power is roughly the same as in SS mode!!! Without the TX triggering the 685.

My assumption about the supersync is that there should be no power lost, at least, not significant enough. And clipping should be visibly present. Is like when SS enabled, is actually HSS. You can adjust the SS timing and move the clipping around. However, the power lost is evenly the same in both SS mode and HSS mode. Well, it shouldn't be....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 29, 2017 13:22 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Well, correct me if I am wrong....dealing with super sync here and trying to get it to work with my yn685. It appears supersync would never work as long as your strobe or speedlite is iTTL enabled. To get your yn685 to fire in supersync mode, you need to have it connected to a PC sync port. Yes, is stupid since the 685 has a receiver built in. The issue is that because it is built in, you can't bypass the iTTL protocol internally. It has to be done outside...via its PC sync port. So, you would end up connecting it with another 622 receiver. LOL LOL Only then, the TX can connect to the 685 remotely. The TX has no ways to trigger a flash via its PC sync port because its PC sync is IN only. Not output signals.

No wonder why my 685, connected wirelessly would firing in HSS mode and adjusting the SS timing would only move the clipping around. The power is being reduced the same as in the HSS mode.

So now, I need another yn622 transceiver connecting to my 685 or any other dumb speedlite (YN560III) via a PC sync cord.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

9,693 views & 1 like for this thread
YongNuo YN622C II : 622C-TX : YN685 Trigger Controller Flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.