Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

thanks for fix for wobbly stud - light problems

owenegan
274 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 28, 2017 01:49 |  #1

So, my Godox AD600 and all my Bowens S-mount adapters technically fit on my Matthews C-stand's stud, but it was a wobbly fit. Thanks to someone here, I learned that what I needed was (rather un-intuitively) a "Kupo Baby 5/8" Receiver to Stud Adapter for Elinchrom Heads" to make the connection a solid one.

So I got one and it worked perfectly and now I'm happy, and I wanted to say thanks to whoever it was that posted the info - I don't know who it was, as my attempt to locate the original post failed. Never in a million years would I have figured out that was the name of the thingy I needed.

Also, in general, I really appreciate all the graciously-offered expertise and advice you folks provide on this forum. I now return to my default lurk-and-learn mode.

Owen.

sponsored links
silvermesa1
118 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 28, 2017 05:14 |  #2

I think this is what you are referring to? Thank you for the tip!

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …chrom.html#cust​omerReview (external link)

OceanRipple*
817 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by OceanRipple*.

Dec 28, 2017 07:22 |  #3

Kupo's drawing:
It's good, in allowing for the non-standard Eli, Godox & Jinbei (etc) receivers, but IMO it's not perfect in suspension - say under a Drop Down Pin. As usual, it depends on the exact dimensions of the attached receiver.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

RicoTudor
552 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 28, 2017 15:20 |  #4

I wish MSE would provide such engineering specs. The problem area solved by Kupo is measured at 3mm which is some abortion of a standard pushed by Manfrotto. The Hollywood baby pin is much taller, and is supported by the lighting majors including Profoto.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 29, 2017 04:03 |  #5

I think I first saw that Kupo adapter on Scott/Shom Photography's video link.

I don't have problem with long handle Godox receivers, like the ones on AD600 or the extension head, but shorter ones on the S Bracket and AD-B2 have issues mounting on the baby pin. Instead of buying few of the Kupo adapters, I want to find DIY solutions on the pins.

For straight standing C stands, I found that a small piece of automotive vacuum hose sandwiched between the baby pin and receivers is sufficient enough (BTW, I learned that from someone else). But the rubber hose does not stay on the pin well once the light is removed. The more secure mod is to wrap a piece of steel tubing around the neck area of the baby pin. There were more effort on cutting and grinding, but it was a fun project.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4647/38658360524_dc0d341ce8_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4682/38658360064_8646c146ab_o.jpg

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

OceanRipple*
817 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 29, 2017 05:07 |  #6

Lotto wrote in post #18528514 (external link)
I think I first saw that Kupo adapter on Scott/Shom Photography's video link.

I don't have problem with long handle Godox receivers, like the ones on AD600 or the extension head, but shorter ones on the S Bracket and AD-B2 have issues mounting on the baby pin. Instead of buying few of the Kupo adapters, I want to find DIY solutions on the pins.

For straight standing C stands, I found that a small piece of automotive vacuum hose sandwiched between the baby pin and receivers is sufficient enough (BTW, I learned that from someone else). But the rubber hose does not stay on the pin well once the light is removed. The more secure mod is to wrap a piece of steel tubing around the neck area of the baby pin. There were more effort on cutting and grinding, but it was a fun project.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I like those! And the set screw goes in the slot/missing section.

Do you have any tips for forming your collars back to fitting tightly?

My two options shown here, have worked quite well (lower left, white and one from upper right, black):

HOSTED PHOTO

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,345 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 29, 2017 08:18 |  #7

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1489790

Original thread, I think.

Go to your user control panel and you will see all your threads and posts listed.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 30, 2017 02:18 |  #8

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18528527 (external link)
I like those! And the set screw goes in the slot/missing section.

Do you have any tips for forming your collars back to fitting tightly?

My two options shown here, have worked quite well (lower left, white and one from upper right, black):

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by OceanRipple* in
./showthread.php?p=185​28527&i=i133243437
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Nice mods!

For bending the collar, I wrap it with few layers of towel/cloth to reduce the markings, use a Channellock to crimp down one side at a time, and small section at a time.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

OceanRipple*
817 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 30, 2017 05:32 as a reply to  @ Lotto's post |  #9

Tx for that detail.

sponsored links

2,326 views & 2 likes for this thread
thanks for fix for wobbly stud - light problems
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.