Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone investing in mortgage notes?

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 30, 2017 16:02 |  #1

I've been doing some research/thinking about becoming a landlord and have had several people suggest that, instead, I should invest in mortgage notes, either performing or non-performing mortgage notes. I'd never heard of it, so did a little bit of research. Seems fishy to me. Anyone have first-hand experience with it. Run as fast as I can or is it legit?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,921 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Bassat.

Dec 30, 2017 16:13 |  #2

Investing? With what? I spend all my money on camera stuff.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,761 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 30, 2017 16:35 |  #3

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18529606 (external link)
I've been doing some research/thinking about becoming a landlord and have had several people suggest that, instead, I should invest in mortgage notes, either performing or non-performing mortgage notes. I'd never heard of it, so did a little bit of research. Seems fishy to me. Anyone have first-hand experience with it. Run as fast as I can or is it legit?

I looked into it several years ago. I decided not to invest as it requires a pretty good knowledge of RE and business principles - understanding contracts, that sort of thing. But some make a go of it. If you do give it a try remember...you'll be swimming with the sharks.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 31, 2017 13:29 |  #4

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18529627 (external link)
I looked into it several years ago. I decided not to invest as it requires a pretty good knowledge of RE and business principles - understanding contracts, that sort of thing. But some make a go of it. If you do give it a try remember...you'll be swimming with the sharks.

Bassat wrote in post #18529614 (external link)
Investing? With what? I spend all my money on camera stuff.

Home equity. I doubt that I'll buy a note. More interested in a vacation rental that I can use in the off season.

flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,357 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt. (7 edits in all)

Dec 31, 2017 13:32 |  #5

According to Wikipedia: "In the United States, a mortgage note (also known as a real estate lien note, borrower's note) is a promissory note secured by a specified mortgage loan. Mortgage notes are a written promise to repay a specified sum of money plus interest at a specified rate and length of time to fulfill the promise."

So how is this 'mortgage note' any different than the financial instruments which, bought and sold freely prior to 2007, were responsible for almost taking down so many banks and losing value for so many retirement funds in the Great Recession?! Prior to the Great Recession, US mortgage-backed securities were marketed around the world. Many of these securities were backed by subprime mortgages, which collapsed in value when the U.S. housing bubble burst during 2006 and homeowners began to default on their mortgage payments in large numbers starting in 2007. Worth investigating and understanding how these 'mortgage note' investments are different/better than what collapsed the world economy not that long ago.

From a web page posted 2011: "Atlanta—If you told me five years ago that the selling of distressed notes by banks would become a virtual retail industry, I wouldn’t have believed it. Yet here we are, and business is booming. As an example of the frenzy, I recently had three different clients bidding on the same note. Pretty amazing. In multifamily alone, there are billions of dollars worth of outstanding, distressed debt. Whereas a few years ago, banks would have been more inclined to foreclose on a non-performing commercial real estate property, they are now choosing to sell the note....you can see why banks were looking for an alternative to foreclosures. Note selling has provided that alternative avenue."

It sounds like you would be buying a single note for ONE property, rather than buying a collection of many notes which are collectively owned as a single morgage-backed security...so that rather than having any 'cushion' you are fully exposed should the real estate borrower default on his mortgage! SCARY! One could end up holding a note that is theoretically worth $500K, but the owner let the property deteriorate before defaulting, so that the property declined to $200k in market value...contrats, you own $500K note where you are stuck holding the repossesed property, but you can only get $200k of cash value out of it!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,224 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 31, 2017 14:14 |  #6

Good luck. I'm still trying to understand what Bitcoin is all about.
: /

Larry ­ Johnson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 01, 2018 09:16 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #18530247 (external link)
According to Wikipedia: "In the United States, a mortgage note (also known as a real estate lien note, borrower's note) is a promissory note secured by a specified mortgage loan. Mortgage notes are a written promise to repay a specified sum of money plus interest at a specified rate and length of time to fulfill the promise."

So how is this 'mortgage note' any different than the financial instruments which, bought and sold freely prior to 2007, were responsible for almost taking down so many banks and losing value for so many retirement funds in the Great Recession?! Prior to the Great Recession, US mortgage-backed securities were marketed around the world. Many of these securities were backed by subprime mortgages, which collapsed in value when the U.S. housing bubble burst during 2006 and homeowners began to default on their mortgage payments in large numbers starting in 2007. Worth investigating and understanding how these 'mortgage note' investments are different/better than what collapsed the world economy not that long ago.

From a web page posted 2011: "Atlanta—If you told me five years ago that the selling of distressed notes by banks would become a virtual retail industry, I wouldn’t have believed it. Yet here we are, and business is booming. As an example of the frenzy, I recently had three different clients bidding on the same note. Pretty amazing. In multifamily alone, there are billions of dollars worth of outstanding, distressed debt. Whereas a few years ago, banks would have been more inclined to foreclose on a non-performing commercial real estate property, they are now choosing to sell the note....you can see why banks were looking for an alternative to foreclosures. Note selling has provided that alternative avenue."

It sounds like you would be buying a single note for ONE property, rather than buying a collection of many notes which are collectively owned as a single morgage-backed security...so that rather than having any 'cushion' you are fully exposed should the real estate borrower default on his mortgage! SCARY! One could end up holding a note that is theoretically worth $500K, but the owner let the property deteriorate before defaulting, so that the property declined to $200k in market value...contrats, you own $500K note where you are stuck holding the repossesed property, but you can only get $200k of cash value out of it!

texkam wrote in post #18530281 (external link)

texkam wrote in post #18530281 (external link)

As I understand it, yes, buying the note on a mortgage. As I mentioned above, I doubt I'll buy. In fact, I won't even do any serious research unless I happen to stumble onto some info.

Tex, you know all you need to know about bitcoin.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

948 views & 5 likes for this thread
Anyone investing in mortgage notes?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.