Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 21:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom CC Installation On A Laptop

canongear
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 30, 2017 21:03 |  #1

Hello
Just wondering if anyone can provide an answer to an issue i'm having with Lightroom CC after it being installed on my laptop.
I've just recently installed it as it showed as being part of App updates that were available.
Photoshop and Bridge were part of the update as well.
I have the Photoshop $9.99/Month plan.
I've had Photoshop and Bridge installed on the laptop for a couple of years.

The Lightroom App that was installed on the laptop is Lightroom CC 2015.
It's not a trial version and there was no option to install Lightroom Classic.
Prior to this, I did not have the Lightroom App installed on the laptop.
I'm not even sure if the Lightroom CC App was available for laptop use until now?

The App worked fine the first couple of days after being installed.
A bit of time had passed until I went to use it again and now these are the issues that have appeared.

It will not start up correctly when I attempt to open it.
I'll get different start up error messages before it finally opens.
Takes at least 3 attempts and usually more before it will open.

There is no option for Lightroom to access any pictures that I have on the laptop unlike when I first installed it.
When I first installed it, I could access pictures on the laptop and import them.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and still end up having the same issues.

If these issues are due to me not using the "Cloud" that's fine, I won't bother with the laptop version of it but, how was I able to access the pictures on the laptop when the App was first installed?

If anyone can suggest a fix, if there is one, that would be appreciated.

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,745 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2017 21:22 |  #2

It sounds to me as if Lr had a problem locating your catalogue file, or the catalogue file was corrupted. This would give Lr issues with opening. Lr defaults to using the last catalogue opened, but if it failed to open it might not now be looking in the right place for the catalogue. This is easy to solve, all you need to do is find the catalogue file, and double click that to start Lr. The catalogue file will have a .lrcat extention, so will be in the form of \My Catalogue Name.lrcat. If this fails to work you may have a corrupt catalogue file, and would need to delete it and start again from scratch.

One other thing that can cause issues, and completely stop Lr from starting is if the Lr shutdown wasn't clean. In this case it can leave behind a lock file that will prevent Lr from trying to open the catalogue, or even for starting at all. If this is the situation you will find a .lrcat.lock file in the form\My Catalogue Name.lrcat.lock in the folder alongsize the catalogue .lrcat file. Simply delete this lock file and you should then be able to open the catalogue and see the images that have already been imported to the catalogue.

It looks like you have installed the last version of Lr CC, which was then changed to become Lr CC Classic. The Adobe management app should allow you to upgrade to the latest version Lr CC Classic 2018.

Any further advice would require the specific details of all the error messages you get when you try to open Lr.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 31, 2017 09:17 |  #3

BigAl007 wrote in post #18529790 (external link)
It sounds to me as if Lr had a problem locating your catalogue file, or the catalogue file was corrupted. This would give Lr issues with opening. Lr defaults to using the last catalogue opened, but if it failed to open it might not now be looking in the right place for the catalogue. This is easy to solve, all you need to do is find the catalogue file, and double click that to start Lr. The catalogue file will have a .lrcat extention, so will be in the form of \My Catalogue Name.lrcat. If this fails to work you may have a corrupt catalogue file, and would need to delete it and start again from scratch.

One other thing that can cause issues, and completely stop Lr from starting is if the Lr shutdown wasn't clean. In this case it can leave behind a lock file that will prevent Lr from trying to open the catalogue, or even for starting at all. If this is the situation you will find a .lrcat.lock file in the form\My Catalogue Name.lrcat.lock in the folder alongsize the catalogue .lrcat file. Simply delete this lock file and you should then be able to open the catalogue and see the images that have already been imported to the catalogue.

It looks like you have installed the last version of Lr CC, which was then changed to become Lr CC Classic. The Adobe management app should allow you to upgrade to the latest version Lr CC Classic 2018.

Any further advice would require the specific details of all the error messages you get when you try to open Lr.

Alan

Hello Alan
Thanks for your reply.
How to find the things you are suggesting to look for on a Mac is a bit of a learning experience for me.
But, this is what I've come up with from your advice in your first paragraph.
Is this the area you wanted me to go and if so, this is the error message I get when I attempt to open the file/app.
I also get that same error message when I attempt to open Lightroom from Adobe CC.
There are also a couple of different error messages I'll get with multiple attempts in trying to open Lightroom and I will post those as well if needed.

I'll see if I can find a locked file you refer to in your second paragraph.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 31, 2017 09:26 as a reply to  @ canongear's post |  #4

Now after double tapping the Lightroom Catalog Icrat icon again, i'm now getting this instead of the error message.

HOSTED PHOTO

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,336 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by digital paradise. (4 edits in all)

Dec 31, 2017 09:41 |  #5

If you already had LR on your laptop LR Classic CC should have merged with the old catalogue and created a new one. You would have seen lrcat-1 and lrcat 2. lrcat-2 being the new one.

Something is messed up. Did you have the plan before recently installed it again? If you recently installed it I don't see the new apps PC CC, LR CC Classic or LR CC. Note: PC CC is actually the new version and there is no designation but it is actually PC CC 2018. If you see PS CC it s the latest one.

This is what my MacBook Air looks like. I have the old apps and the new apps.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,336 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by digital paradise.

Dec 31, 2017 09:49 |  #6

I had a minor irritating problem on my iMac. For some reason I kept getting update warnings for CS6. There have been no updates for 2 years. I used an Adobe app cleaner that took everything out. Since it was a clean install and there was no older versions of apps this is how my iMac looks now.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 31, 2017 10:07 |  #7

digital paradise wrote in post #18530010 (external link)
If you already had LR on your laptop LR Classic CC should have merged with the old catalogue and created a new one. You would have seen lrcat-1 and lrcat 2. lrcat-2 being the new one.

Something is messed up. Did you have the plan before recently installed it again? If you recently installed it I don't see the new apps PC CC, LR CC Classic or LR CC. Note: PC CC is actually the new version and there is no designation but it is actually PC CC 2018. If you only see PS CC it s the latest one.

This is what my MacBook Air looks like. I have the old apps and the new apps.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=185​30010&i=i166593229
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Hello
I did not have Lightroom installed on my MacBook Air until just recently.
I don't ever remember seeing that as an option to install until just recently.
It may have been an option and I just didn't bother with it, I just don't remember.
I've only recently started using Lightroom more on my desktop and when I saw it was part of a recent update for the other 2 Adobe CC Apps I have installed on my laptop, I decided to install it.

As I was trying to figure out this Lightroom issue, at one point I uninstalled Lightroom CC and installed an older version to see what that would do.
It didn't help and maybe I messed up some settings when I deleted that older version?
The older version installed is shown below.

Another odd thing that happened when I did the Photoshop update, if I clicked on the Photoshop icon in the dock after the update, it would open the Photoshop version prior to the update.. Photoshop CC (2015) but, if I opened Photoshop from the Adobe CC App, it would open the updated version..Photoshop CC (2015.5).
I think I have that issue fixed though.
Haven't had any issues since with either Photoshop or Bridge.

HOSTED PHOTO

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,336 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2017 10:15 |  #8

I went to Adobe. The $9.99 a month plan only offers LR CC, PS CC and LR Classic CC. That was introduced in October.

The product page does not even offer any of the old versions so I don't think you can get Lightroom or Photoshop CC (2015) anymore. You can still get LR6 standalone. I'm only using asking because you said recently and the older versions are on your CC install app.

http://www.adobe.com …cd_252Fphotogra​phy&page=1 (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,336 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2017 10:22 |  #9

canongear wrote in post #18530030 (external link)
Hello
I did not have Lightroom installed on my MacBook Air until just recently.
I don't ever remember seeing that as an option to install until just recently.
It may have been an option and I just didn't bother with it, I just don't remember.
I've only recently started using Lightroom more on my desktop and when I saw it was part of a recent update for the other 2 Adobe CC Apps I have installed on my laptop, I decided to install it.

As I was trying to figure out this Lightroom issue, at one point I uninstalled Lightroom CC and installed an older version to see what that would do.
It didn't help and maybe I messed up some settings when I deleted that older version?
The older version installed is shown below.

Another odd thing that happened when I did the Photoshop update, if I clicked on the Photoshop icon in the dock after the update, it would open the Photoshop version prior to the update.. Photoshop CC (2015) but, if I opened Photoshop from the Adobe CC App, it would open the updated version..Photoshop CC (2015.5).
I think I have that issue fixed though.
Haven't had any issues since with either Photoshop or Bridge.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by canongear in
./showthread.php?p=185​30030&i=i194532428

You keep saying recently. So you had it before on your desktop and recently installed on your laptop. You also said you recently started using it on your desktop so forgive me as I'm a little confused. When did you get the plan for your desktop? Before or after last October?

Image Editing OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2017 10:28 |  #10

What OS are you using on your MacBook

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 31, 2017 10:33 |  #11

digital paradise wrote in post #18530035 (external link)
I went to Adobe. The $9.99 a month plan only offers LR CC, PS CC and LR Classic CC. That was introduced in October.

The product page does not even offer any of the old versions so I don't think you can get Lightroom or Photoshop CC (2015) anymore. You can still get LR6 standalone. I'm only using asking because you said recently and the older versions are on your CC install app.

http://www.adobe.com …cd_252Fphotogra​phy&page=1 (external link)

When I said recently, I was referring to recently installing the Lightroom App.
Did that maybe a couple of weeks ago,
I've had The Photoshop and Bridge App on my laptop for a couple of years now.
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there were updates available for those two Apps and that's when I also noticed the option to install the Lightroom App.

I've just uninstalled the Lightroom App again and signed out of Creative Cloud.
But, even though Lightroom said it uninstalled, i'm still seeing a Lightroom folder when I go to:
user name/pictures.
When I open pictures there is the Lightroom folder and when I open that, it shows the same thing in the picture I posted in post#4.

If Lightroom was truly uninstalled, why is there still a Lightroom folder?
Should that folder be deleted before I try to reinstall Lightroom?

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 31, 2017 10:36 |  #12

john crossley wrote in post #18530049 (external link)
What OS are you using on your MacBook

HOSTED PHOTO

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,336 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2017 10:39 |  #13

That 5.7.1 seems odd as well. If you were on the plan before October you should have been getting regular updates. The latest version update was on Dec 19 - version 6.14 for Lightroom CC 2105.

You may have to call Adobe about this. I do have a link to an Adobe CC cleaner app. Just a warning. It took everything off my iMac. CS6, PC CC, LR6, LR Classic CC, LR CC and the app installer itself. I went to Adobe and re-installed the app installer followed by the apps and everything was fine. The catalogue and everything else was still there.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …nstallation-problems.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by canongear.

Dec 31, 2017 10:47 |  #14

digital paradise wrote in post #18530072 (external link)
That 5.7.1 seems odd as well. If you were on the plan before October you should have been getting regular updates. The latest version update was on Dec 19 - version 6.14 for Lightroom CC 2105.

You may have to call Adobe about this. I do have a link to an Adobe CC cleaner app. Just a warning. It took everything off my iMac. CS6, PC CC, LR6, LR Classic CC, LR CC and the app installer itself. I went to Adobe and re-installed the app installer followed by the apps and everything was fine. The catalogue and everything else was still there.

https://helpx.adobe.co​m …nstallation-problems.html (external link)

Sorry about the "recently" confusion.

The Lightroom CC App was recently installed on my laptop for the first time a couple of weeks ago.
Up until then, it or any version of it, was never installed on the laptop.
Photoshop CC and Bridge CC were the only two Apps I had installed on the laptop and have had those installed on the laptop for a couple of years.

On my desktop, i've had the 3 CC Apps, Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge, installed for a couple of years.

I just don't understand why after doing an uninstall of Lightroom, I can't do a clean reinstall of Lightroom.

PS: I have been on the Adobe Photoshop CC plan for a couple of years.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 31, 2017 10:49 |  #15

canongear wrote in post #18530067 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by canongear in
./showthread.php?p=185​30067&i=i76745068

I would suggest updating your OS, the latest version of Lightroom won't run on Mavericks.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

sponsored links

3,830 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom CC Installation On A Laptop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.