Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 17:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Managing huge TIF files

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 31, 2017 16:16 |  #31

digital paradise wrote in post #18530364 (external link)
So you save and bring them back into LR for export? Yeah storage is so cheap these days.

I export a Tiff to Ps, and then re-save it after editing. It shows up in whichever editor I'm using. If I want to export it to flickr or 500px I use the Lr plugins.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,719 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2017 16:25 |  #32

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18530352 (external link)
Personally, I just export to TIFF for editing and use Lr to export jpegs for web or print. I don't bother deleting the TIFF files, I just buy a new drives as they fill up, 1TB at a time. I have a full ATX tower so there is plenty of room for SSDs in there. ;-)a

digital paradise wrote in post #18530364 (external link)
So you save and bring them back into LR for export? Yeah storage is so cheap these days.

Same here, if I need to go to Ps then I just keep the full 16 bit file, with layers, and use that to export my finished images to JPEG as and when needed. In my case though I use .PSD instead of TIFF.

One thing that I will add is that some time ago I did some tests to assess the results from using all of the 13 possible levels of JPEG compression, compared to the original image in 8 bit, saved as a TIFF. Yes it was possible to see a difference in the R, G, and B values for many pixels when using the top three levels of JPEG quality; 10, 11, and 12. So the results of encoding from the original in each case were different. What was interesting though was not the comparison between the different JPEG files, but the comparison back to the original uncompressed 8 bit data.

What really stood out was the fact that although the specific channel values were different in each JPEG file, the level of deviation from the original data was identical across all three levels of compression. The only thing that really changed between them was the specific pixel location for any variation. Most pixels would not normally have more than one channel with a variation, and most of the variations were either ±1. I don't think I could find any cases where the deviation from the original was higher than ±5 or 6.

Given the way that JPEG works, using a maximum value results in a file with no compression, so the file size is the same as the TIFF. If you move to level 10 though you get a significant reduction in file size, for no measurable increase in deviation from the original pixel values compared to using the highest quality setting. Using a setting of Q10 though will give you a file size reduction of between 40% and 60% depending on image content.

So if you are going to convert the image to JPEG you should use Q10 as your highest setting, since it is impossible to measure the difference between quality of that compared with a maximum quality setting file, but it could result in a file that is less than half the size! Needless to say you really cannot perceive the differences between any of the images from any of the files. I did it with images with both lots of very fine detail, and areas of very large smooth gradients.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 31, 2017 16:38 |  #33

MalVeauX wrote in post #18530341 (external link)
I keep the RAWs (eventually cull RAWs I have no need for, to only keep ones I may return to), and work from the TIF files I create from the RAWs. Once my JPG output from that processed TIF is finalized, I keep the JPG and I delete the TIF. If it's something I'm casually working on over time, that's different and I keep the PSD for that. But that's not something you're doing with every shot you take. I delete all the TIF files though eventually when I'm done with any printing or JPG sharing. So every 2~3 months, I simply cull the TIF files out in a single swoop.

Very best,

The first step for me is to discard as many RAWs as I can. Basically, I'm trying to keep my my keeper rate down but seriously raise their quality. After any session, I usually come up with clusters of images that are fundamentally similar. I try to cull each of those clusters down to maybe one or, at most, two shots before I do any actual image editing.

The way I see it, if a day's shooting gives me even just one shot that really stands out at the end of years and years of doing this stuff, then that was a very successful day.

So the the hard part for me is being tough enough on myself about deleting RAWs before I go into the rest of the post processing thing. It's not easy but with every session I'm managing to wind up my 'kill rate' a fraction of a notch.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,206 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2017 16:43 |  #34

DaviSto wrote in post #18530396 (external link)
The first step for me is to discard as many RAWs as I can. Basically, I'm trying to keep my my keeper rate down but seriously raise their quality. After any session, I usually come up with clusters of images that are fundamentally similar. I try to cull each of those clusters down to maybe one or, at most, two shots before I do any actual image editing.

The way I see it, if a day's shooting gives me even just one shot that really stands out at the end of years and years of doing this stuff, then that was a very successful day.

So the the hard part for me is being tough enough on myself about deleting RAWs before I go into the rest of the post processing thing. It's not easy but with every session I'm managing to wind up my 'kill rate' a fraction of a notch.

Me too. Except for travel images I cull quite a bit before even importing into LR. I like the look of Canon's DPP - quick check - full screen so I use it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 31, 2017 16:55 |  #35

digital paradise wrote in post #18530399 (external link)
Me too. Except for travel images I cull quite a bit before even importing into LR. I like the look of Canon's DPP - quick check - full screen so I use it.

I take the point about travel images ... that's memories.

I think that where I would like to get to is a point where I only keep RAWs for images that I firmly intend to print. Everything else is ephemeral. Of course, I might share digital versions of images I intend to print for people to view on screen. But, if it's not worth printing, it's not worth sharing in any other format, I believe.

"Firmly intend" is a bit 'soft' I know and gives me a get-out. But at least I am trying.

David.

DaviSto
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 31, 2017 18:09 |  #36

By way of a side note, I think the "storage is cheap" argument is a trap. It's like arguing you don't need to sort out your ever accumulating personal stuff because your attic is growing in volume every year.

Actually, we do need to get rid of stuff and a huge attic is not an asset.

Year-by-year, we need to decide what we want to keep close by us and what we are ready to to let go.

Keeping things lean (focusing on what is really important) is a good plan in life ... and in photography.

David.

Pippan
951 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 31, 2017 18:51 |  #37

DaviSto wrote in post #18530452 (external link)
By way of a side note, I think the "storage is cheap" argument is a trap. It's like arguing you don't need to sort out your ever accumulating personal stuff because your attic is growing in volume every year.

Actually, we do need to get rid of stuff and a huge attic is not an asset.

Year-by-year, we need to decide what we want to keep close by us and what we are ready to to let go.

Keeping things lean (focusing on what is really important) is a good plan in life ... and in photography.

Sounds like a new year's resolution! Happy New Year!

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

sponsored links

3,732 views & 2 likes for this thread
Managing huge TIF files
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.