Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom ELB 400 battery cracked

Bernt-Inge
684 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2017 13:20 |  #1

Hi

I have the ELB 400 kit from Elinchrom and recently noticed that both batteries has cracks in them.
The whole kit has not been used much at all and its mostly my wife who has used it. None of the batteries has been dropped.

Has anyone else had issues with these batteries?
Both are the Ranger Quadra Li-Ion MK2 version.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

----- Bernt-Inge -----

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
www.bernt-inge.com (external link)
Instagram (external link)
My Gear flickr stream (external link)500px (external link) Twitter (external link) facebook (external link)

sponsored links
fotopaul
478 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Dec 31, 2017 13:31 |  #2

These cracks could be due to overtightening of the set screws on the top plate of the battery. The second image looks like it could be. The top plates can easily be replaced by an authorized Elinchrom service centre.

Blog (external link)

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 5 months ago by arthurbikemad.

Dec 31, 2017 13:42 |  #3

That's not very good! I have two ELB400, the first batch of batteries I had both the fuse tabs broke off, I was surprised how brittle they are, even though they are tiny I found it near impossible to remove a fuse without snapping a tab, it's a silly thing but I made them replace the one that snapped, as you may know they are shipped with no fuse fitted, anyway both those packs went bang! I was using the stroboscopic mode at the time, we think it was an early issue with firmware, this was back when the ELB first came out, it was all returned and refunded and for a while I was without the ELB's, in the end I missed them so much I decided to reorder them about three months later. Anyway, that's the only issues I have had, I'd guess Elinchrom would replace those for saftey reasons, given the issues such batteries can cause when transporting them. I would also add even though the images dont suggest it's an issue with fitting I would just like to say they are not the easiest thing to change, and they do need to be stored charged and disconnected from the packs or they drain down over time.

Bernt-Inge
THREAD ­ STARTER
684 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2017 14:31 |  #4

fotopaul wrote in post #18530244 (external link)
These cracks could be due to overtightening of the set screws on the top plate of the battery. The second image looks like it could be. The top plates can easily be replaced by an authorized Elinchrom service centre.

I will take them back to the shop and see if they can send them in or get in touch with Elinchrom. I tried to contact them directly but no reply. Not to impressed by their customer service.

arthurbikemad wrote in post #18530256 (external link)
That's not very good! I have two ELB400, the first batch of batteries I had both the fuse tabs broke off, I was surprised how brittle they are, even though they are tiny I found it near impossible to remove a fuse without snapping a tab, it's a silly thing but I made them replace the one that snapped, as you may know they are shipped with no fuse fitted, anyway both those packs went bang! I was using the stroboscopic mode at the time, we think it was an early issue with firmware, this was back when the ELB first came out, it was all returned and refunded and for a while I was without the ELB's, in the end I missed them so much I decided to reorder them about three months later. Anyway, that's the only issues I have had, I'd guess Elinchrom would replace those for saftey reasons, given the issues such batteries can cause when transporting them. I would also add even though the images dont suggest it's an issue with fitting I would just like to say they are not the easiest thing to change, and they do need to be stored charged and disconnected from the packs or they drain down over time.

I was surprised that they cracked since the whole unit has been used very little since we bought it. Hopefully they will replace the parts or the batteries.

Thanks for your replies and have a happy new year :)

----- Bernt-Inge -----

My Gear flickr stream (external link)500px (external link) Twitter (external link) facebook (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
815 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by Angmo. (2 edits in all)

Dec 31, 2017 14:59 |  #5

Ive had excellent support from Macgroup. They even overnighted me a part in time for a shoot the next day at no cost. In exchange that I return the part in issue soon. Which I did a few days later.

It was on their word and mine the exchange happened.

I bought originally from Adorama or B&H. But was in a huge hurry. Macgroup came through. Amazing service.

Register your ELB on Eli’s site too. They need to get feedback. Looks like a stress crack from simple over tightening. Should have never happened.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Bernt-Inge
THREAD ­ STARTER
684 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2017 15:05 |  #6

Angmo wrote in post #18530317 (external link)
Ive had excellent support from Macgroup. They even overnighted me a part in time for a shoot the next day at no cost. In exchange that I return the part in issue soon. Which I did a few days later.

It was on their word and mine the exchange happened.

I bought originally from Adorama or B&H. But was in a huge hurry. Macgroup came through. Amazing service.

Register your ELB on Eli’s site too. They need to get feedback. Looks like a stress crack from simple over tightening. Should have never happened.

I am in Norway so I contacted Elinchrom directly via e-mail and facebook. No reply through either channels.
Will take the batteries into the local dealer and get them sent in.

----- Bernt-Inge -----

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Dec 31, 2017 15:20 |  #7

Happy new year to you too.

I had issues getting the attention of Elinchrom via Twitter and email, if I am honest I lost my cool with them and things went a little sour, I pride myself on customer support, and when I don't get it as a customer I get frustrated, perhaps if I were a top photo tog then maybe things would have been different, however at the time and still to date they know nothing about me, guess what I am saying is IF I were some celebrity perhaps they would have jumped on a reply, they did respond in the end but only after some presure, I.e videos of the packs going bang and so on. Anyway in the UK the flash centre are the importers and my sales co, Wex were right on hand, in complete contrast to Elinchrom direct, who I may add just belittled my issues and passed me off. Still, here I am, and Elinchrom user, fairly heavily invested in the system, but if it were not for Wex and The Flash Center, I'd be long gone.

fotopaul
478 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Dec 31, 2017 15:23 |  #8

Bernt-Inge wrote in post #18530324 (external link)
I am in Norway so I contacted Elinchrom directly via e-mail and facebook. No reply through either channels.
Will take the batteries into the local dealer and get them sent in.

Have you registered your gear on the Elinchrom website ?

Either way Elinchrom will of course not do this directly with you (repair/exchange) they will send this to your local dealer/agency.

The fastest way is, therefore, to contact your dealer as you already have done.

Norway does not have an agency only retailers like Scandinavianfoto, interfoto, and foto.no so it might take a tad longer.

Blog (external link)

Bernt-Inge
THREAD ­ STARTER
684 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2017 15:31 |  #9

fotopaul wrote in post #18530335 (external link)
Have you registered your gear on the Elinchrom website ?

Either way Elinchrom will of course not do this directly with you (repair/exchange) they will send this to your local dealer/agency.

The fastest way is, therefore, to contact your dealer as you already have done.

Norway does not have an agency only retailers like Scandinavianfoto, interfoto, and foto.no so it might take a tad longer.

I bought the unit via Japan Photos webshop so I will take it to their local shop. I have been in contact with them and their pro contact but no response. So face to face in the shop will probably be better.

Everything is registered on the Elinchrom website.

----- Bernt-Inge -----

fotopaul
478 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by fotopaul. (2 edits in all)

Dec 31, 2017 15:39 |  #10

Bernt-Inge wrote in post #18530346 (external link)
I bought the unit via Japan Photos webshop so I will take it to their local shop. I have been in contact with them and their pro contact but no response. So face to face in the shop will probably be better.

Everything is registered on the Elinchrom website.

The thing is that Elinchrom forwards most of the cases to their retailers, both inquiries and claims. So often the response time depends on the retailers as well.

I made some claims over the years on their website and I always got a response from the Nordic Agency for Elinchrom within 1-2 days (on all occasions). I have always been taken care of even with claims that were years out of warranty.

So personally i'v had nothing but great experience with their support (thru their Nordic agency).

Now I have the luxury to live in the same city as the Nordic agency, which of course makes things go a bit faster.

Blog (external link)

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Dec 31, 2017 15:42 |  #11

I'll say on a positive note Elinchrom sorted things with me in the end, and the proof is as I say I am pleased with the system and continue to be a happy customer, it was just a communication/time issue that looking back caused all the problems and the embarrassment of my packs going bang on location having just got them didn't help, BUT the system IS reliable and spares are readily available as already said, I'd still stand by what I say about the ELBs, it's a supurb system in many ways and has given me some GREAT results!

Bernt-Inge
THREAD ­ STARTER
684 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2017 15:43 |  #12

fotopaul wrote in post #18530349 (external link)
The thing is that Elinchrom forwards most of the cases to their retailers, both inquiries and claims. So often the response time depends on the retailers as well.

I made some claims over the years on their website and I always got a response from the Nordic Agency for Elinchrom within 1-2 days (on all occasions). I have always been taken care of even with claims that were years out of warranty.

So personally i'v had nothing but great experience with their support (thru their Nordic agency).

No have the luxury to live in the same city as the Nordic agency, which of course makes things go a bit faster.

It would be faster to drive over to the Nordic agency then the reply speed so far ;) Japan Photo will probably fix this when I get into the shop.

----- Bernt-Inge -----

Bernt-Inge
THREAD ­ STARTER
684 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 31, 2017 15:45 |  #13

arthurbikemad wrote in post #18530354 (external link)
I'll say on a positive note Elinchrom sorted things with me in the end, and the proof is as I say I am pleased with the system and continue to be a happy customer, it was just a communication/time issue that looking back caused all the problems and the embarrassment of my packs going bang on location having just got them didn't help, BUT the system IS reliable and spares are readily available as already said, I'd still stand by what I say about the ELBs, it's a supurb system in many ways and has given me some GREAT results!

I chose the ELB because of their size and versatility. Already heavily invested in soft boxes and equipment ;) I will not change because of this but the quality surprised me.

I am sure its a small fix for the retailer.

----- Bernt-Inge -----

simonbarker
179 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 01, 2018 06:32 |  #14

Bernt-Inge wrote in post #18530297 (external link)
I was surprised that they cracked since the whole unit has been used very little since we bought it. Hopefully they will replace the parts or the batteries.

It hasn't cracked because of how you've used it, it's cracked because it's badly designed with thin plastic, when it was assembled they used too much force when tightening the screws so the case cracks.

It's not that unusual to see on older Quadra packs and it shouldn't really affect anything so there's no real incentive for them to change the design.

sponsored links

1,047 views & 21 likes for this thread
Elinchrom ELB 400 battery cracked
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.