Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 31 Dec 2017 (Sunday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off Camera Lighting for teams sports

CoachB
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Dec 31, 2017 14:49 |  #1

I need some advice. I recently was asked to shoot team pictures for a high school basketball team. Individual and Group. I visited the gym and noticed that the lighting was very poor. I have two speed lights, bounce umbrellas and lights stands. Can the job be done with this equipment. Do I need to upgrade my equipment? If so what do you recommend? Monolights? I'm lost. Please help.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 31, 2017 14:54 |  #2

Heya,

So that means flash/strobing is ok during the game? If so, you have an awesome opportunity. Two ways to approach it. One, expose the entire thing via the flashes (as in, camera settings to nuke ambient light, flash bouncing in the entire gym to expose everything). Two, using flash as fill. I bring it up because depending on the temps of the lighting in the gym, you may need to match that with gels on your lights, when doing fill and mixing ambient & flash, or none at all if you're exposing completely with flash. If the gym is small enough you could be able to completely expose the whole place with the speedlites bouncing off the ceiling and a wall (with camera settings set to drop ambient to nothing). It would be a lot easier with a monolight with more power though. For on the go fill, you'd need HSS on the speedlites. If you're not doing HSS, you're at sync speed, and 1/200s or whatever equivalent your camera does is not going to freeze motion. But indoors, 1/200s, F-whatever for depth of field, and whatever ISO results in no ambient exposure, will work with your speedlites bouncing.

Need a lot more info really about your gear, the venue, how you want to expose them, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

pat.kane
598 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 01, 2018 19:13 |  #3

He said team and individual, so these aren't action shots.

Two speed lights should be enough for individuals, but would likely be challenged for the group shot. You can compensate by using a higher ISO. Not much else you can do without investing in more gear.

Good luck.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

CoachB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 01, 2018 19:17 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #4

Thank You for the response.

CoachB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 01, 2018 19:31 as a reply to  @ pat.kane's post |  #5

What would be the ideal gear for taking the group shot?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2018 22:28 as a reply to  @ CoachB's post |  #6

You want as big a modifier as you can get. Ideally two large softboxes or perhaps the extra large umbrella style modifiers like the buff PLM. One on each side of the camera to flood the group with big soft light. You can try using a 60 or even 42(ish) in umbrella on each side, that's about as big as a speedlite can fill. You still might need a separation light to keep dark hair from disappearing into the background. A lot depends on how much you are willing to invest in doing this job and if you'll get any use out of gear going forwad.

CoachB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 01, 2018 22:36 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #7

Thank You for the great advice. i will look into purchasing two large umbrella.What would be your advice for the ideal equipment needed? I see myself doing more of these jobs in the future.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited 5 months ago by gonzogolf.

Jan 01, 2018 23:35 |  #8

CoachB wrote in post #18531343 (external link)
Thank You for the great advice. i will look into purchasing two large umbrella.What would be your advice for the ideal equipment needed? I see myself doing more of these jobs in the future.

I would suggest a minimum of 3 monolitghts, the brand is largely irrelevant. I have alien bee units and love them but there are some exciting new models available from godox and other brands that you might check into. Any barebulb style moonlight will work because the modifier is the important part. As I said in th e earlier posts group shots are best with extra large modifiers. Check out the plm system from paul c buff. As for individual sports portraits you probably ought to do some self education before you invest. Search YouTube for videos by Joel Grimes, the lit up session on sports portraits will show you a fantastic 3 light setup.

CoachB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 02, 2018 00:35 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #9

Very helpful information. I really appreciate it.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,205 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 02, 2018 03:25 |  #10

This bad boy!
https://www.fjwestcott​.com/50-mega-js-apollo (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,283 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 02, 2018 05:48 |  #11

https://www.amazon.com …age_o09_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

639 views & 5 likes for this thread
Off Camera Lighting for teams sports
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.