Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 17 Mar 2016 (Thursday) 04:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switch to Magic Lantern?

CheleA
321 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by CheleA. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2016 22:36 |  #16

This is the Non Dual-Iso version of the image in the previous page. The highlights are all the way to the left in the highlights slider(minimum) and the shadows all the way to the right. I tried to get them very close in appearance but didn't put too much time into it:( The only manipulation was with LR's gradual filter over the sun/clouds, about 1/2 stop on the dual ISO and about 1 stop on the non dual ISO.

Just to clarify, in the dual ISO image -- ML was set to 100/800. Meaning the highlights were exposed at ISO 100 and the shadows at ISO 800. The 6D does very well with higher ISOs so the 800 is not too much of a strain on the final product. Since ML exposes one row of sensors at 100 and the other at 800 there is a loss in resolution on both sides of the fence but that seems a better compromise than to expose for the highlights and pull the shadows that much. The odd thing is that even images that shouldn't benefit from the dual-ISO due to the fact that the DR is not that much seem to have more "POP" the normally exposed images. I took these images with and without Dual-ISO just to see what could be done https://www.flickr.com​/gp/76233298@N02/2W89M​9 (external link)

Disclaimer -- As time goes by, I'm becoming a bigger ML fanboy

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2016 23:13 |  #17

I started with ML in 2010 on a 5D2, mainly for the intervalometer and one or 2 other functions like focus peaking with the MP-E.

I don't use ML on a regular basis, but ML is on all my cameras for so long now, i never got a hick up, and if i don't want ML to start/load, i just press the set button during the switch on (but i forgot it always)
I never got any hiccup because i am following a basic rule given on the ML website which is "before to open the battery door/memory card door > switch off the camera and WAIT at least 5 seconds"

There is a slight delay when you switch on of 2-3 seconds (but may be i need to update ML on my cameras)

In all case, it is NOT a SWITCh from Canon to ML, you got both firmware on you camera (to be exact one in camera and one on the memory card),
roughly if you push the trashcan button on your camera you will setup your camera with ML, if not you're using the Canon firmware.
This means also, if you change the memory card and there is no ML installed on the new one = no ML on your camera only Canon firmware

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

lonerider519
557 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2013

May 01, 2016 00:48 |  #18

Just a quick dumb question for you users. When i upload my images to the computer what do i do then because i usually reformat the card to remove all images will that delete the m/l from the card if so what can i do to keep this from happening.

Canon 7D Mark2 gripped,Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60d gripped,EF 70/200 F2.8 L IS 11 USM EF-100-400 F4-5.6L IS II EF 50 f1.8 ,EF 100 2.8 usm ,EFS18-135, EF 24-105 F4 L usm ,Tamron 70-300 SP 4_5.6 Sigma 150-500 , Manfrotto 190x prob with a Jobu jr.3 , Manfrotto 681b monopod. flickr (external link)

CheleA
321 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 01, 2016 01:49 |  #19

lonerider519 wrote in post #17991294 (external link)
Just a quick dumb question for you users. When i upload my images to the computer what do i do then because i usually reformat the card to remove all images will that delete the m/l from the card if so what can i do to keep this from happening.

Nothing! I also reformat the card after uploading the files to the computer. ML will remain in the card, you actually have to go out of your way to remove it from the card. The only drawback is that the settings are saved to the card, they do not reside in the camera. This means you have to "reprogram" ML's settings and save them to each card. there is a settings file you can copy from card to card but I find it easier to just reprogram and save the settings to each card.

SailingAway
319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013

May 01, 2016 12:56 |  #20

You are reformatting in your camera? Never reformat in the computer, always in the camera. That's a best practice, Magic Lantern or no ML.

As CheleA says, ML integrates with the camera firmware in such a way that it is preserved in a *camera* reformat of the card.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

CheleA
321 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 02, 2016 01:43 |  #21

SailingAway wrote in post #17991923 (external link)
You are reformatting in your camera? Never reformat in the computer, always in the camera. That's a best practice, Magic Lantern or no ML.

Good clarification!

lonerider519
557 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 02, 2016 10:45 as a reply to  @ SailingAway's post |  #22

Just to let you know i never take my memory cards out of the camera and the formatting is done in the camera.

Canon 7D Mark2 gripped,Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60d gripped,EF 70/200 F2.8 L IS 11 USM EF-100-400 F4-5.6L IS II EF 50 f1.8 ,EF 100 2.8 usm ,EFS18-135, EF 24-105 F4 L usm ,Tamron 70-300 SP 4_5.6 Sigma 150-500 , Manfrotto 190x prob with a Jobu jr.3 , Manfrotto 681b monopod. flickr (external link)

CheleA
321 posts
Joined Jul 2014

May 02, 2016 14:38 |  #23

lonerider519 wrote in post #17992988 (external link)
Just to let you know i never take my memory cards out of the camera and the formatting is done in the camera.

The card is wiped completely clean when formatted in the computer. This is actually necessary when moving from one version of ML to another, like the latest version. All the ML's info (firmware and settings) is retained when formatting is done in the camera. I have never had any issues with ML. That might be because I don't use that many features since I don't do video and shoot full manual. With that said, the features I do use, I use quite a bit!

lonerider519
557 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 02, 2016 17:48 as a reply to  @ CheleA's post |  #24

Thanks i did not know that, i was going to install ML in my 60d but i land up leaving the camera on the west coast with my son.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 15, 2016 21:26 |  #25

Like some others had mentioned, I tried hard to use ML for about 2 years. I finally wiped it from the card about 6 months ago and haven't looked back.I was most interested in Dual-ISO and focus peaking. I didn't enjoy the extra processing steps with the dual iso files and I found the results to be good, but not significantly better than what I could create using the in-camera HDR mode on the 5D3. I'm sure with lots of trial and error you could get better HDR type results, but it wasn't enough for me. Focus peaking can be useful with manual focusing situations or when recording video...two things I rarely perform with my DSLR.

I would have left it on the camera if it weren't for the battery drain and slow start-up. I can't recall exactly, but there was something about opening the memory card or battery door before completely powering down that was causing my battery to drain while the camera was off. I also found it to significant reduce battery life during use. The slow wake-up after half-pressing the shutter was really the final straw. Very frustrating.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

AdamT
43 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 01, 2018 14:49 |  #26

Good to hear experiences, probably going to try for intervalmeter and focus stacking.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,206 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 02, 2018 15:26 |  #27

mannetti21 wrote in post #18040678 (external link)
I would have left it on the camera if it weren't for the battery drain and slow start-up. I can't recall exactly, but there was something about opening the memory card or battery door before completely powering down that was causing my battery to drain while the camera was off. I also found it to significant reduce battery life during use. The slow wake-up after half-pressing the shutter was really the final straw. Very frustrating.

I always un-install ML when I am done using the specific feature. It takes just 60 seconds. I sometimes go months without using ML but it then takes about 30 seconds to install it again. It just lies dormant on the SD card until you need it again.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

8,465 views & 9 likes for this thread
Switch to Magic Lantern?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.