Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2018 11:52 |  #316

apemusgrave wrote in post #18530881 (external link)
I'd seen that one. Is my only option the Southeast Asian Adobe store? Was hoping to pay with US dollars, not Thai baht or the other options listed there.

Sorry I have no way of answering that. Not sure anyone does. I suggest you call Adobe for that.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
apemusgrave
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 01, 2018 12:03 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #317

I assumed Scott_M might, since he'd recently done it. Only reason I brought it up at all since I've been routinely stifled otherwise. No worries.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Scott M.

Jan 02, 2018 07:01 |  #318

apemusgrave wrote in post #18530889 (external link)
I assumed Scott_M might, since he'd recently done it. Only reason I brought it up at all since I've been routinely stifled otherwise. No worries.

It looks like Adobe really buried Lightroom 6 on its website, but I did finally find it here (external link) by searching for Lightroom 6 on their products section of the site. Change type from full license to license upgrade and you should be able to still purchase the upgrade for $79 plus tax.

If you do not need a full DAM, I would suggest looking at DxO Photo Lab before spending any more money with Adobe. I received a free license for their previous version -- DxO Pro Optics -- which impressed me enough to give Photo Lab a try. I ended up buying a full license for $150 (same cost that Adobe charged for a full license to Lightroom when they sold it that way), and I am using that software now instead of Lightroom. Now I wish I had held off on upgrading Lightroom from 5.7 to 6.x. Oh, well, at least it was only a little over $80, and LR is is still on my PC in case I ever feel the need to use it again.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2018 10:01 |  #319

I believe you can use LR and take advantage of the DXO plugin.

Image Editing OK

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jan 02, 2018 11:06 |  #320

I have been using PhotoscapeX for RAW processing I love it. Has easy to use curves, levels and contrast. Not much as far as DAM.
$30. lifetime they also have a free version for trail or use.

I do not use DAM, so for me PhotoscapeX is much faster then LR and much less expensive.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 02, 2018 12:58 |  #321

digital paradise wrote in post #18531602 (external link)

I saw there was a plug-in installed when I installed Photo Lab, but I have not tried it out. I am trying to get used to using Photo Lab exclusively, and so far it is going well. I have not needed to do any elaborate editing with the photos I've processed since the purchase, though, so we will see how it goes when I need to use some of the local editing tools.

Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by digital paradise.

Jan 02, 2018 20:07 |  #322

Scott M wrote in post #18531735 (external link)
I saw there was a plug-in installed when I installed Photo Lab, but I have not tried it out. I am trying to get used to using Photo Lab exclusively, and so far it is going well. I have not needed to do any elaborate editing with the photos I've processed since the purchase, though, so we will see how it goes when I need to use some of the local editing tools.

If you don't need the DAM then it may be more work than necessary. For something to do I tried out PhotoLab the last few days. Pretty decent and one of out of the two I will consider if I ever drop the plan.

Image Editing OK

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,734 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 04, 2018 19:22 |  #323

digital paradise wrote in post #18531602 (external link)

Yes, you can.

jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 17, 2018 11:05 |  #324

I've been spending more time with DxO PhotoLab -- just finished sorting and editing a large batch of photos from a trip to the Florida Keys and Everglades. I am loving the ClearView feature, which can really bring some pop to landscape shots. The only thing I am missing from Lightroom is the ability to tag bunch of photos as rejected and then deleting that batch all at once. PhotoLab has a feature to tag photos as rejected, but there does not appear to be a function to then delete all the tagged photos.

Gear List

Pete328
22 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 18, 2018 09:12 |  #325

digital paradise wrote in post #18532073 (external link)
If you don't need the DAM then it may be more work than necessary. For something to do I tried out PhotoLab the last few days. Pretty decent and one of out of the two I will consider if I ever drop the plan.

And the other of the two would be?

Pete

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 19, 2018 04:07 |  #326

Pete328 wrote in post #18566643 (external link)
And the other of the two would be?

C1 and DXO PhotoLab

Image Editing OK

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,194 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by clipper_from_oz. (2 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2018 09:21 |  #327

Adobe have lost the plot...I have been waiting in hope they fix the problems and now its worse. .LR Classic 7.2 thats just been released is a bloody disaster in the develop module. Once global sharpening and noise reduction is done on a large RAW you cant use more than a couple of brush tools on the same image before it starts lagging and slowing down to be almost unuseable etc . and when that happens tools like clone and heal are 100% useless as they take over 30seconds to render in some instances . Crazy stuff

And Adobes fix for this? Well adobe tech support say to do global sharpening noise reduction at the end of everything. What a useless fix especially if you you need use the brush tool for local/selective sharpening noise reduction because how in the hell can someone see what global sharpening /noise has been done first before doing the local sharpen for say an eye or some other selective part of the image that global cant fix without affecting something else !!

Clearly their tech support and Product engineers have no idea of real world users work flows In LR. They are more worried about window dressing the fixes like making export and import marginally faster yet neglecting to fix the main engine of the thing which is the develop module . In addition to this Adobe are now stating that some of these local edit tools should be used lightly to stop slow down and I wonder why the hell they ever put in these features in LR if they cant be used as they were designed to be . Im betting Classic will fold in 12 months time because no one can fix the issues due to the old coding. I bet coding in Lightroom Classic would be like one big pile of spagetti with all the butchering thats gone on since version 5

We are then destined to be stuck with that other useless image editing programme called CC which Adobe are pushing as way for them to claw some additional revenue via forcing people to get more cloud storage due to that being a requirement to work!. That and a crippled develop function is an absolute joke .

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,197 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 20, 2018 05:34 |  #328

Not sure if this will help. I' travelling so working with a 4GB ram MacBook Air which I really don't like at the best of times just because the screen is small and the editing environment is not great. I won't even bother trying as the condo's WIFI is slow. I'l see on my big machine when I get home.

https://www.lightroomf​orums.net …nce-latest-upgrade.34155/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,194 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 20, 2018 07:20 |  #329

digital paradise wrote in post #18568067 (external link)
Not sure if this will help. I' travelling so working with a 4GB ram MacBook Air which I really don't like at the best of times just because the screen is small and the editing environment is not great. I won't even bother trying as the condo's WIFI is slow. I'l see on my big machine when I get home.

https://www.lightroomf​orums.net …nce-latest-upgrade.34155/ (external link)

feedback is some better some worse ...For me not much difference....still horribly slow in the develop module if I use a few tools with global sharpening. Thats the culprit....Although Global sharpening and noise reduction on its own is ok its when you start adding multiple brush tools that also may have some selective sharpening in the tool used then its all over red rover. WHen that happens for me the beachball comes in and it becomes that unresponsive that it is impossible to work with .

As far as Im concerned Lightroom 7.2's develop module is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,548 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by agedbriar.

Feb 20, 2018 07:54 |  #330

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #18568115 (external link)
... is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle

:lol::lol::lol: I owe you a beer for that!

sponsored links

71,618 views & 130 likes for this thread
So if we are done with LR, whats our choices?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.