Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 21:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom CC Installation On A Laptop

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2017 15:48 |  #31

I have that lock file in my LR folder and having not issues. I think you may be correct updating to LR Classic CC from 5.7.1. Not sure if going from Mavericks to High Sierra is somehow on involved as well. That OS is 5 years old.

When I updated from LR6.12 I think it found the catalogue on it's own and merged. There were only 2 choices. Create a new one or point to the existing one. It appears even pointing it still didn't recognize it.

Like I said there where posts from people having trouble trouble updating to standalone LR.14 if they missed the version 13 update. A clean start might be the best option.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,720 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2017 15:59 |  #32

digital paradise wrote in post #18530360 (external link)
I have that lock file in my LR folder and having not issues. I think you may be correct updating to LR Classic CC from 5.7.1. Not sure if going from Mavericks to High Sierra is somehow on involved as well. That OS is 5 years old.

When I updated from LR6.12 I think it found the catalogue on it's own and merged. There were only 2 choices. Create a new one or point to the existing one. It appears even pointing it still didn't recognize it.

Like I said there where posts from people having trouble trouble updating to standalone LR.14 if they missed the version 13 update. A clean start might be the best option.

You will only have the .lrcat.lock file when you look at the folder when Lr is running. If you close Lr and look in the folder the lock file will have been deleted. If you have closed Lr, and the lock file is still in existence, or if you create a file with that name, then Lr will fail to load the catalogue next time you try to start. Lr uses the lock file to tell an instance of Lr that is trying to open that catalogue that there is already an instance running, with that catalogue open.

Lock files are really common when dealing with databases, and Lr is essentially just a very fancy front end to an SQLite database. In the database world SQLite is almost as ubiquitous as JPEG is for images. The database thing is why you can only open one catalogue at a time in Lr, it is simply not configured to allow Lr to access more than one database file at a time.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2017 16:13 |  #33

BigAl007 wrote in post #18530370 (external link)
You will only have the .lrcat.lock file when you look at the folder when Lr is running. If you close Lr and look in the folder the lock file will have been deleted. If you have closed Lr, and the lock file is still in existence, or if you create a file with that name, then Lr will fail to load the catalogue next time you try to start. Lr uses the lock file to tell an instance of Lr that is trying to open that catalogue that there is already an instance running, with that catalogue open.

Lock files are really common when dealing with databases, and Lr is essentially just a very fancy front end to an SQLite database. In the database world SQLite is almost as ubiquitous as JPEG is for images. The database thing is why you can only open one catalogue at a time in Lr, it is simply not configured to allow Lr to access more than one database file at a time.

Alan

Thanks for the info Alan. LR is almost always running.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,720 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 31, 2017 16:31 |  #34

digital paradise wrote in post #18530377 (external link)
Thanks for the info Alan. LR is almost always running.

Yes I thought it might be, same here too. I haven't actually gone to the level of putting Lr in my list of startup programs, but it will usually be one of the first that I open. My PC usually has Lr, Bridge, and Chrome open all the time.

Alan

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2018 13:21 |  #35

digital paradise wrote in post #18530277 (external link)
Blank pictures when you do the import? Do you mean when you open the Library module and look at the catalogue?When someone say import that implies the images you are actually importing, not images already in the existing catalogue.

Hello
Back again to clear up what I said in my last post yesterday.

Apparently I didn't wait long enough for the thumbnails to appear in my first import attempt.

What i'm finding when doing the import function is that it takes a bit of time for the thumbnail previews to appear and by import, I don't mean actually importing any selected images.
I'm just at the step where you can pick the images from the displayed thumbnails, to be imported.

As an example using the image below, there are only 22 photos in the source folder and it took almost 2 minutes for the the thumbnails to load up.
All the photos are jpegs and the total size of the source files is 192 MB.
There are a couple of video clips as well in that source folder and maybe that has something to do with taking as long as it did/does for the thumbnails to show

Doing the same function on my desktop and picking a source folder that has a lot more photos and is almost 4 GB in size, the thumbnails appear almost instantaneously.
Is that normal for thumbnails to take a lot longer to appear in Lightroom on a laptop than they do on a desktop?
Or, is there something I can do to help speed up the process?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2018 13:25 as a reply to  @ post 18530345 |  #36

Thank you Alan for the information you provided in post#30

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2018 14:13 |  #37

canongear wrote in post #18530977 (external link)
Hello
Back again to clear up what I said in my last post yesterday.

Apparently I didn't wait long enough for the thumbnails to appear in my first import attempt.

What i'm finding when doing the import function is that it takes a bit of time for the thumbnail previews to appear and by import, I don't mean actually importing any selected images.
I'm just at the step where you can pick the images from the displayed thumbnails, to be imported.

As an example using the image below, there are only 22 photos in the source folder and it took almost 2 minutes for the the thumbnails to load up.
All the photos are jpegs and the total size of the source files is 192 MB.
There are a couple of video clips as well in that source folder and maybe that has something to do with taking as long as it did/does for the thumbnails to show

Doing the same function on my desktop and picking a source folder that has a lot more photos and is almost 4 GB in size, the thumbnails appear almost instantaneously.
Is that normal for thumbnails to take a lot longer to appear in Lightroom on a laptop than they do on a desktop?
Or, is there something I can do to help speed up the process?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by canongear in
./showthread.php?p=185​30977&i=i19296227
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I just tried it on both my desktop and laptop. I ask tried my laptop and from an non powered external drive and there was no delay. Have you tried without the video? I never shoot video so I can't comment on that.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,720 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2018 16:04 |  #38

Quick question here, since I only skimmed the more Apple and OSX posts, since I'm a Windows user. Is the laptop you are trying to install Lr on really old? I ask because from what I'm seeing here it looks like it might be.

Until the summer of 2016 I was running Lr on a really old system based around an old Dell laptop that was about ten years old, and maybe a little older than that. I stuck to using Lr 4 since I always had issues with newer versions, and even Lr4 could be difficult at times. One thing I did always notice was that whenever I looked in a folder which contained video everything would slow down considerably. On a dual core Celeron with 3GB RAM and 32 bit Vista it was never going to be quick, but I always found it to be about as quick as any other RAW converter when doing edits, and the DAM aspects were very helpful.

So I think you may just have a rather old computer, and an old laptop, when compared to a modern desktop system is going to be significantly slower.

Poor performance can also make you think the program has actually crashed, so you then kill the program, and it repays you by leaving those awkward lock files laying about.

Alan

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2018 16:17 |  #39

digital paradise wrote in post #18531013 (external link)
I just tried it on both my desktop and laptop. I ask tried my laptop and from an non powered external drive and there was no delay. Have you tried without the video? I never shoot video so I can't comment on that.

Just tried your suggestion and there is no delay.
Thought I had tried that prior to posting about it but, guess I didn't.

Have you by any chance been getting this pop up window when you open Lightroom CC on your laptop?
It appears for me almost every time I open Lightroom.
Laptop only, not desktop.

Apparently this pop up message issue has been around for a couple of years in one form or another.
No matter what option you choose, it continues to pop up.

At first it was said to be an issue with High Sierra but now it's said to be an issue with Acrobat Reader.
Do you know what the connection is between Lightroom and Acrobat Reader that would cause this to pop up when opening Lightroom?

i don't see Acrobat Reader listed anywhere in my Applications or Utilities.

HOSTED PHOTO

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2018 16:29 |  #40

BigAl007 wrote in post #18531114 (external link)
Quick question here, since I only skimmed the more Apple and OSX posts, since I'm a Windows user. Is the laptop you are trying to install Lr on really old? I ask because from what I'm seeing here it looks like it might be.

Until the summer of 2016 I was running Lr on a really old system based around an old Dell laptop that was about ten years old, and maybe a little older than that. I stuck to using Lr 4 since I always had issues with newer versions, and even Lr4 could be difficult at times. One thing I did always notice was that whenever I looked in a folder which contained video everything would slow down considerably. On a dual core Celeron with 3GB RAM and 32 bit Vista it was never going to be quick, but I always found it to be about as quick as any other RAW converter when doing edits, and the DAM aspects were very helpful.

So I think you may just have a rather old computer, and an old laptop, when compared to a modern desktop system is going to be significantly slower.

Poor performance can also make you think the program has actually crashed, so you then kill the program, and it repays you by leaving those awkward lock files laying about.

Alan

I found that the issue is probably due to the videos that are also in the same source folder I was using.
I've now tried other folders that are pictures only and there is no delay in the thumbnails appearing.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2018 16:33 |  #41

canongear wrote in post #18531123 (external link)

Have you by any chance been getting this pop up window when you open Lightroom CC on your laptop?

Apparently this pop up message issue has been around for a couple of years in one form or another.

At first it was said to be an issue with High Sierra but now it's said to be an issue with Acrobat Reader.
Do you know what the connection is between Lightroom and Acrobat Reader that would cause this to pop up when opening Lightroom?

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​31123&i=i200605636

I never installed LR CC. Only LR Classic CC

Image Editing OK

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2018 18:19 |  #42

digital paradise wrote in post #18531141 (external link)
I never installed LR CC. Only LR Classic CC

Sorry, it is Lightroom Classic CC that this is happening with on my laptop.
So based on your reply, this hasn't happened to you then.

I'll check in to it some more and see if there is a fix to it.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions with the import issue.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2018 19:06 |  #43

canongear wrote in post #18531198 (external link)
Sorry, it is Lightroom Classic CC that this is happening with on my laptop.
So based on your reply, this hasn't happened to you then.

I'll check in to it some more and see if there is a fix to it.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions with the import issue.

NP. It's not popping up so I may have entered my password but that was in October. Maybe Alan knows try an internet search or that lightroom queen link.

Image Editing OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 02, 2018 01:46 |  #44

canongear wrote in post #18531123 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​31123&i=i200605636

Try un-checking Keychain in System Preferences, you may have to log-out and back in again for it to take effect.

HOSTED PHOTO

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

canongear
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 02, 2018 21:16 |  #45

john crossley wrote in post #18531412 (external link)
Try un-checking Keychain in System Preferences, you may have to log-out and back in again for it to take effect.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by john crossley in
./showthread.php?p=185​31412&i=i118814526

Hello
If i'm understanding things correctly based on the image you posted, this keychain thing is connected to iCloud.
If it is, i'm not sure why I would be getting the pop up message as I have never tried to access or sign in to iCloud.
Only started getting this message after I did the OS update to High Sierra and installed Lightroom Classic CC.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe i'm getting the message because I had initially installed Lightroom CC instead of Lightroom Classic CC.

It's not really a big deal for me that the message pops up.
I just click the deny option and then it disappears.
Just keeps coming back though every time I open Lightroom.

I just find it odd that the message only appears when I open Lightroom whereas anything i've read about it so far seems to point to it being an issue when people try to open a PDF with Adobe Acrobat reader.

sponsored links

3,750 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom CC Installation On A Laptop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.