Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

600ex-rt and controller

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 02, 2018 17:11 |  #1

would these work with a non-canon camera?

say i had a Fuji X-E2s. i slip the ST 3 controller in the hot shoe. i would imagine it would still communicate with the flash for settings and triggering, and would THINK it would fire from the hot shoe, as if it were any other speedlite...

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 03, 2018 02:32 |  #2

So we're assuming you already own Canon RT Speedlites and want to use them "off camera" with a non Canon camera?

In this instance the better option of the RT controllers is the YN-E3-RT rather than an ST-E3-RT. The YN is cheaper and the YN "Legacy mode" disables all TTL pins except the X pin. This allows for use on non Canon cameras and even though you lose TTL and HSS you still have remote control of flash power settings and triggering in Manual mode of up to 5 Slave Groups of Canon RT Speedlites or compatible Speedlites using the YN-E3-RX receivers. The YN receivers can also trigger other non compatible flash units via the sync port.

Rand

Gear

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 03, 2018 08:17 |  #3

agv8or wrote in post #18532275 (external link)
So we're assuming you already own Canon RT Speedlites and want to use them "off camera" with a non Canon camera?

In this instance the better option of the RT controllers is the YN-E3-RT rather than an ST-E3-RT. The YN is cheaper and the YN "Legacy mode" disables all TTL pins except the X pin. This allows for use on non Canon cameras and even though you lose TTL and HSS you still have remote control of flash power settings and triggering in Manual mode of up to 5 Slave Groups of Canon RT Speedlites or compatible Speedlites using the YN-E3-RX receivers. The YN receivers can also trigger other non compatible flash units via the sync port.

yes. i already own the ST-E3-RT and several 600s. all Canon...

thanks for the info on the YN, but not sure if its required. sound like youre recommending the YN instead of (buying) the Canon...

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 03, 2018 13:30 |  #4

Ltdave wrote in post #18532385 (external link)
yes. i already own the ST-E3-RT and several 600s. all Canon...

thanks for the info on the YN, but not sure if its required. sound like youre recommending the YN instead of (buying) the Canon...

My memory is not the best any more and it's been at least 4 years ago since I tried this with the ST-E3-RT but as I remember the ST-E3-RT will not trigger with just the X pin. Yongnuo added the "legacy mode" with one of their firmware updates which is designed to do just this specific thing of working as a transmitter off only the X pin while disabling the other TTL pins there by allowing it to be used with non Canon cameras or in a TTL hot shoe of a Canon dual "off shoe" cord or in the way that I used it most, the hot shoe of the Godox X1T.

Both my ST-E3's and YN-E3's are currently boxed up since I'm all Godox when doing "off camera" flash but if you have an ST-E3 available just tape off all the pins except the X pin and try it. I do have a Phottix Laso transmitter here in my office and it will not trigger with just the X pin even though it is in communication with a 600EX Slave and will send Manual flash power settings to the Slave when you press the "test" button.

Rand

Gear

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 03, 2018 15:02 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #5

okay, great!

i dont have any other brand camera (Yet) but id like to get the above mentioned Fuji and not have to reinvest in a bunch of speedlites or strobes. i was thinking more of walk around camera but with the ability to shoot some OCF, with my existing gear...

thanks

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 6 months ago by agv8or.

Jan 03, 2018 15:20 as a reply to  @ Ltdave's post |  #6

When David "dmward" switched to Sony from Canon he was still using Canon 600EX-RTs and the YN-E3-RT in "legacy mode" with pretty good success. He has since switched to Godox products now that they have Sony compatibility. I never had any issues the few times I used the YN-E3 in "legacy mode" in the hotshoe of the X1T so if you do switch from Canon to Fuji and you do not want to spend the money for a Fuji flash system then you should have no problem using your 600EX's with a YN-E3 in "legacy mode" unless you find that ST-E3 works but I don't think it will, at least not in the way you want it to.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links

1,291 views & 2 likes for this thread
600ex-rt and controller
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.