Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PEAK DESIGN - CAPTURE PRO

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 01, 2018 05:57 as a reply to  @ post 18530651 |  #16

Thanks Chris, I feel better about going ahead with this idea.
I am fed up hiking and trekking with a heavily-laden backpack. I realised that I am NOT a mule! :idea:
The backpack can now just hold all the paraphernalia of accessories and bits'n'bobs and should be much lighter :lol:

All I have to do now is to read about the Spider Pro Holster and the Optech Uniloop.

(But, I really like the look of the PD Capture Pro) :rolleyes:

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by iazybandit. (3 edits in all)

Jan 03, 2018 08:05 |  #17

The Capture Pro (v2) is discontinued and is replaced by the v3 (as seen on their site). Here are videos of the Capture v3 and new Pro Pad.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 04, 2018 01:19 as a reply to  @ iazybandit's post |  #18

Thanks for Posting this.... :lol:

I actually prefer the look of the v2, it seems more robust for DSLR's compared with the newer v3 (which may suit Mirrorless cameras better?!?). ?

I also like the idea of independent 'release' button and 'lock' button available on the v2 (just my opinion!)
- the 'single-button' design scares me a bit and looks fiddly to access. ?

I'll now have to see them first before buying either online. :!:

(Groan:- looks like 2018 is going to be Testing Year for me).

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,330 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2018 01:47 |  #19

Cham_001 wrote in post #18532999 (external link)

I actually prefer the look of the v2, it seems more robust for DSLR's compared with the newer v3 (which may suit Mirrorless cameras better?!?). ?

I also like the idea of independent 'release' button and 'lock' button available on the v2 (just my opinion!)

I've been using this system since their original Kickstarter campaign and it's easily the best gear I've spent money on for supporting and carrying my camera when hiking/active. It comfortably mounts a 7DII + 100-400II in a manner that I can carry it all day with no fatigue; I pair the clip with a Leash or Cuff for securing it while I'm actively shooting and just drop it back on the clip when I go to move about.

Due to the way the Leash/Cuff mount to the camera (pucks that hang off the strap lugs), you can have the camera locked into the clip *and* have the Leash attached at the same time. That way, even when you've got it 'loose', you're not going to drop your gear. You can also just keep a Cuff on your wrist and clip it onto the camera just before pulling it off the clip with next to no delay.

I haven't moved up to the v3 parts yet since the v2 (and even a few v1 plates) are still holding up and rolling right along. And, if there's any worry about the security of the clip...don't. I took too hard of a corner on a snowmobile ride and left the sled ass over tea kettle with the camera and 24-105 mounted. The camera never budged.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 04, 2018 10:01 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #20

Thanks there buddy: "Snydremark",

I do prefer the subtlety of Peak Design Vs SpiderPro.

I just looked again at the short video-clip shown here:
https://spiderholster.​com …iderlight-camera-holster/ (external link)

The SpiderPro is ArcaSwiss ready whereas with Capture Pro you stipulate the clip/tripod mount plate at additional cost.

Yep, finally decided.... I will go-ahead and order the Peak Design solution - V3 with the ArcaSwiss mounting plate clip thingy.
Amazon should get these into my greedy-paws between 2-3 days.

NB:
To all contributors to this Post. A great deal of thanks. I never knew that this kinda product actually existed until seeing the Kickstarter promo.
With your input and insight I am now aware of those competitive products.

Snydremark
18,330 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2018 12:49 |  #21

Cham_001 wrote in post #18533181 (external link)
Thanks there buddy: "Snydremark",

I do prefer the subtlety of Peak Design Vs SpiderPro.

I just looked again at the short video-clip shown here:
https://spiderholster.​com …iderlight-camera-holster/ (external link)

The SpiderPro is ArcaSwiss ready whereas with Capture Pro you stipulate the clip/tripod mount plate at additional cost.

Yep, finally decided.... I will go-ahead and order the Peak Design solution - V3 with the ArcaSwiss mounting plate clip thingy.
Amazon should get these into my greedy-paws between 2-3 days.

NB:
To all contributors to this Post. A great deal of thanks. I never knew that this kinda product actually existed until seeing the Kickstarter promo.
With your input and insight I am now aware of those competitive products.

If you buy the full clip, it should come w/ 1 AS ready plate by default; at least all previous versions of it have done so. You still need extra plates if you have multiple bodies or longer lenses w/ tripod collar that you may want to add it to. I throw the base plate on each of my long telephotos just so they're tripod ready at all times. One thing they show in all their marketing materials is using the CC as a belt mounted solution, as well; I say don't fall for that. If you need a belt mount solution for any reason, look elsewhere. Even with their ProPad device, the whole rig is WAY too floppy; keep it as a shoulder strap-mounted solution and it's a rockstar.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 04, 2018 16:33 |  #22

Snydremark wrote in post #18533315 (external link)
If you buy the full clip, it should come w/ 1 AS ready plate by default; at least all previous versions of it have done so. You still need extra plates if you have multiple bodies or longer lenses w/ tripod collar that you may want to add it to. I throw the base plate on each of my long telephotos just so they're tripod ready at all times. One thing they show in all their marketing materials is using the CC as a belt mounted solution, as well; I say don't fall for that. If you need a belt mount solution for any reason, look elsewhere. Even with their ProPad device, the whole rig is WAY too floppy; keep it as a shoulder strap-mounted solution and it's a rockstar.

UPDATE:
Thanks for these in-use tips "Snydremark". Checked online with Amazon UK - V3 unavailable for delivery until end-Jan - early-Feb.
Went to the Amazon USA site, I went for the Peak Design v2 (Black & Red --> CANON colours!! with the Dual-Clip AS & Manfrotto compatible :-P ) at a crazy good price.
(The UK prices are way inflated).
AND:- delivery is scheduled for next week! - It's all worked out and I hope to be perfectly happy with this!
In the meantime I can source a compatible 'safety-strap'...

Snydremark
18,330 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2018 16:36 |  #23

Cham_001 wrote in post #18533490 (external link)
UPDATE:
Thanks for these in-use tips "Snydremark". Checked online with Amazon UK - V3 unavailable for delivery until end-Jan - early-Feb.
Went to the Amazon USA site, I went for the Peak Design v2 (Black & Red --> CANON colours!! with the Dual-Clip AS & Manfrotto compatible :-P ) at a crazy good price.
AND:- delivery is scheduled for next week! - It's all worked out and I hope to be perfectly happy with this!

The Leash and Cuff are both compatible :) Have fun!

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,248 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 04, 2018 19:16 |  #24

I've been using it for a couple of years, and went ahead and upgraded to the V3.

I use it in two ways.

1. With light-weight casual set-ups when I don't want to deal with the bulk of a strap.

2. To stabilize my camera while using harnesses or sling-straps that allow the cameras to swing around and potentially bump into something, or smash into the floor if I crouch to shoot. I use two capture clips with my holdfast moneymaker as the cameras swing around really freely with dual harnesses.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

ChrisHeathcote
146 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 05, 2018 02:03 |  #25

I use one of these as a tether

https://www.amazon.co.​uk …keywords=optech​+pro+strap (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2018 10:16 |  #26

Cham_001 wrote in post #18532999 (external link)

The v3 works great for both small setups like mirrorless or bigger DSLRs. The v3 is much more comfortable and less bulky compared to the v2. I highly recommend the ProPad. The single button is the same concept on both v2 and v3. Once you get the hang of using it, you'll be able to remove your camera with one hand.

Snydremark wrote in post #18533315 (external link)

All v3 clips come with the square Arca-Swiss plate. It is a slimmed down of the older versions. If anyone needs one with RC2 compatibility, PD offers a dual plate that is both Arca and RC2 compatible.

The only thing that has changed when it comes to plates is that it is no longer included with their straps. Slide/Slide Lite straps now come with a small plate just to hold the anchor links.

There is a contest for $10 off Peak Design in the marketplace - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1490230

FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 06, 2018 10:17 |  #27

Cham_001 wrote in post #18533490 (external link)
UPDATE:

Just be aware of the counterfeits and clones on the market (yes, believe it or not, they are out there).

Cham_001
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2018 19:04 |  #28

iazybandit wrote in post #18534839 (external link)
Just be aware of the counterfeits and clones on the market (yes, believe it or not, they are out there).

... oooh, now you've got me worried ... :oops:
Ok - just checked my online Order at Amazon.com ---> actually from PeakDesign themselves! - so that's a relief! ;-)a

jrm27
790 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 12, 2018 14:40 |  #29

The Capture Pro is probably the best camera accessory I have purchased for travel. When I'm out on hikes or long days I can ALWAYS have a camera at hand easily and quickly. I paired mine up with the "shell", and it carried my 6D and 24-70 mk1 easily. I wouldn't even hesitate to put the 70-200 on there. The Shell makes it weather friendly, and the whole setup has been fantastic. Without it, I wouldn't have some of the shots that I have from trips and adventures I've taken over the past couple years.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jrmelot/ (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 12, 2018 14:56 |  #30

jrm27 wrote in post #18539535 (external link)
paired mine up with the "shell", and it carried my 6D and 24-70 mk1 easily. I wouldn't even hesitate to put the 70-200 on there. The Shell makes it weather friendly, and the whole setup has been fantastic.

OT and just for curiosity: Which shell size are you using?

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

2,467 views & 14 likes for this thread
PEAK DESIGN - CAPTURE PRO
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.