Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,356 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2018 20:51 |  #9976

Here's a crop of the image above.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 05, 2018 20:55 |  #9977

navydoc wrote in post #18534527 (external link)
Thanks David. I rarely miss adding lens info if it isn't detected automatically but this one slipped by me. I must have been in too big a hurry to eat. :lol:

I've corrected my faux pas and it now shows I used my Sigma 35 f1.4 Art lens.

Thanks Gene.

The oven shot was at f/2.8...it would be interesting to see if your FE 35mm 2.8 would have rendered it any differently than the Sigma. Have you ever done a comparison study of the two lenses? Just curious.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,356 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 11 months ago by navydoc. (2 edits in all)

Jan 05, 2018 21:03 |  #9978

David Arbogast wrote in post #18534547 (external link)
Thanks Gene.

The oven shot was at f/2.8...it would be interesting to see if your FE 35mm 2.8 would have rendered it any differently than the Sigma. Have you ever done a comparison study of the two lenses? Just curious.

I haven't compared them by shooting the same subject with all settings the same except once. That was when I shot all my lenses using the Sony f2.8 then retaking the shot after replacing the Sony lens with the Sigma on my camera and placing the Sony lens on the table where I left a gap for it. After blending the two images, all my lenses were in the shot, including the lens I took the picture(s) with. ;-)a

I'll set up a subject to shoot and do a comparison tomorrow. Were you interested in comparing bokah, rendering color or anything else specifically?

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 05, 2018 21:15 |  #9979

navydoc wrote in post #18534552 (external link)
I haven't compared them by shooting the same subject with all settings the same except once. That was when I shot all my lenses using the Sony f2.8 then retaking the shot after replacing the Sony lens with the Sigma on my camera and placing the Sony lens on the table where I left a gap for it. After blending the two images, all my lenses were in the shot, including the lens I took the picture(s) with. ;-)a

I'll set up a subject to shoot and do a comparison tomorrow. Were you interested in comparing bokah, rendering color or anything else specifically?

Sure, all that. I was really mostly curious than anything. I don’t have a practical reason for asking.

In my dreams I’d love to add the little FE 35mm to my kit just because 1. I love 35mm, 2. there is a usefulness (as you well know) of owning a tiny little lens - especially when it’s as good as the FE 35mm.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,223 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 05, 2018 22:31 |  #9980

Was patiently waiting for the burn, but that didnt happen. Had to settle for a ray of light ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 05, 2018 22:53 |  #9981

Charlie wrote in post #18534587 (external link)
Was patiently waiting for the burn, but that didnt happen. Had to settle for a ray of light ;-)a
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Charlie in
./showthread.php?p=185​34587&i=i37080336
forum: Sony Cameras

Nice.
That seems to be the trend lately. No burn, just a bit of a glow on the horizon. Unless of course you're trapped in traffic on the 5, watching the sky light up. :oops:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 05, 2018 22:55 |  #9982

One from yeterday morning. I originally tried to hike down the beach to a feature I knew was there but that I hadn't photographed yet. I forgot just how much sand had been pushed up onto the shore. I stopped to catch shots of some waves crashing againsts a mound of sand and realized I was standing on the reef/rock area that I was looking for, it was just all under the sand. -?:cry:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,824 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by digital_AM.

Jan 05, 2018 22:56 |  #9983

Excellent shots Charlie and SB.
---------------

Texas Pioneers Trail Drivers Ranger Museum, SATX

FE 16-35 GM

Captured during late blue hour

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4646/39530377711_9854a86138_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23ea​w5p  (external link) Texas Pioneers Trail Drivers Rangers Memorial Building (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

2048px Version:
https://flic.kr/p/23bu​PDU (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 05, 2018 23:03 |  #9984

Charlie wrote in post #18534587 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Charlie in
./showthread.php?p=185​34587&i=i37080336

This is perfect...whatever you were waiting for isn’t as good as this. :)

Gorgeous.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 05, 2018 23:12 |  #9985

digital_AM wrote in post #18534592 (external link)
---------------

FE 16-35 GM

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23ea​w5p  (external link) Texas Pioneers Trail Drivers Rangers Memorial Building (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

2048px Version:

I love it Alfredo (admittedly when do I not love your work?!).

Every single time you post with the 16-35mm GM I contemplate getting one. I’d have to sell my Loxia 21 and 35, which would be a big loss, but the gain is an outstanding zoom that minimizes lens changes and offers so much focal length flexibility for landscapes & architecture and is still a fast lens. Albert Dros has now switched to the GM you say?

Blue hour architecture is just the best btw. :)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,824 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by digital_AM.

Jan 05, 2018 23:26 |  #9986

David Arbogast wrote in post #18534596 (external link)
I love it Alfredo (admittedly when do I not love your work?!).

Every single time you post with the 16-35mm GM I contemplate getting one. I’d have to sell my Loxia 21 and 35, which would be a big loss, but the gain is an outstanding zoom that minimizes lens changes and offers so much focal length flexibility for landscapes & architecture and is still a fast lens. Albert Dros has now switched to the GM you say?

Blue hour architecture is just the best btw. :)

Thanks David! I would recommend keeping your Loxia 21 if possible. I know you love the Lox 35 as well so that would be a hard one to sell to help offset the cost. I really like that lens too. Agree with you on focal length flexibility. The zoom has been so beneficial to me in completing my work assignments. Thank you again for the awesome recommendation. Yep, Albert uses the 16-35GM a lot now. Check out his gear page:

http://www.albertdros.​com/gearlist (external link)

I'm planning to sell my Batis 18 this month. I've hesitated for a while since I love that lens too but it's redundant to the GM zoom. Interestingly enough, Albert still uses his Batis 18 and 25. He also has a Drobo which is cool. I didn't see any Loxia on his list though.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,356 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2018 23:35 |  #9987

digital_AM wrote in post #18534592 (external link)
---------------

FE 16-35 GM

QUOTED IMAGE

2048px Version:

I'm not familiar with that museum Alfredo or who Trail Driver Rangers were but here's the Ranger muster roll of my 2nd great grandfather, John S. Hodges.

From the Texas State Library Archives:

Hodges, John Seaborn (Lt.)--Texas Mounted Volunteers/Mounted Men (against incursion of hostile Indians in settlements of upper Blanco and Guadalupe Rivers)

HOSTED PHOTO

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,824 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2018 23:43 |  #9988

navydoc wrote in post #18534601 (external link)
I'm not familiar with that museum Alfredo or who Trail Driver Rangers were but here's the Ranger muster roll of my 2nd great grandfather, John S. Hodges.

From the Texas State Library Archives:

Hodges, John Seaborn (Lt.)--Texas Mounted Volunteers/Mounted Men (against incursion of hostile Indians in settlements of upper Blanco and Guadalupe Rivers)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by navydoc in
./showthread.php?p=185​34601&i=i52970258

That's very cool Gene. Here is some history on it:

"The museum was created for the 1936 Texas Centennial to showcase the work of the Texas Rangers, which held the distinction as the first law enforcement group in the nation with statewide jurisdiction. A more peaceful side of Texas is explored in the collection housed in the Pioneer Room, dedicated to the hardworking pioneers who settled the Lone Star State. Western art is displayed here as well. Have a look at the statues in front of the museum featuring traildrivers and a ranger; one of the statues was sculpted by Gutzon Borglum, creator of Mount Rushmore."

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 11 months ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Jan 05, 2018 23:47 |  #9989

digital_AM wrote in post #18534598 (external link)
Thanks David! I would recommend keeping your Loxia 21 if possible. I know you love the Lox 35 as well so that would be a hard one to sell to help offset the cost. I really like that lens too. Agree with you on focal length flexibility. The zoom has been so beneficial to me in completing my work assignments. Thank you again for the awesome recommendation. Yep, Albert uses the 16-35GM a lot now. Check out his gear page:

http://www.albertdros.​com/gearlist (external link)

I'm planning to sell my Batis 18 this month. I've hesitated for a while since I love that lens too but it's redundant to the GM zoom. Interestingly enough, Albert still uses his Batis 18 and 25. He also has a Drobo which is cool. I didn't see any Loxia on his list though.

Drobos are cool for non-computer experts like me. They’ve been ideal for me.

Thanks for recommending me keep the Loxias...they are indeed special, so I will hold my 16-35mm temptations in check for a while longer.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,356 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2018 00:23 |  #9990

digital_AM wrote in post #18534605 (external link)
That's very cool Gene. Here is some history on it:

"The museum was created for the 1936 Texas Centennial to showcase the work of the Texas Rangers, which held the distinction as the first law enforcement group in the nation with statewide jurisdiction. A more peaceful side of Texas is explored in the collection housed in the Pioneer Room, dedicated to the hardworking pioneers who settled the Lone Star State. Western art is displayed here as well. Have a look at the statues in front of the museum featuring traildrivers and a ranger; one of the statues was sculpted by Gutzon Borglum, creator of Mount Rushmore."

Thanks for sharing that information Alfredo, very interesting.

sponsored links

1,177,347 views & 45,364 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.