Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What types of photography grabs your attention?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2018 10:15 |  #16

kf095 wrote in post #18531795 (external link)
BW darkroom prints from film negatives...
Then and also now. :)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PJjx​3H  (external link)

I too love traditional black and white prints. I have also found a lab that will print to Ilford MG IV using a Durst Lightjet for prints from digital. The FB Baryata paper choice is outstanding.

On a relatively simple to print subject the quality from my 50D is way better than anything I have ever got from 35mm film.

Would really like to try LF or even a serious go at MF but I just don't have any space for a darkroom anymore.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jan 04, 2018 10:32 |  #17

I like old photos, they are look into the past. I like them when they have stuff in them that is dated cars, radios, especially scantily clad young women.

aezoss
412 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 04, 2018 22:24 |  #18

Portraits with a smiling subject. Too many portraits, esp "professional" shots, are flat, boring and expressionless. They look like clothing catalog shots or a Photoshop action advertisement more so than a window into the soul of the subject.

Well executed pj, sports and event photography which capture genuine expressions are a favourite of mine. Those moments never come again and tend to have particular importance to the subject. In rare cases they define a moment in history.

Lee

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Jan 06, 2018 11:07 |  #19

I like just about everything. Each individual photo is a capture of an event in a moment of time, space, and expression of emotion.

For my own shooting pleasure, I enjoy taking pics of flowers, birds, air shows, action, photojournalism, protest movements. I am more of a photojournalism-style shooter.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,328 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 06, 2018 11:23 |  #20

Of course, large areas of bright color and high contrast grab my attention, but the photos that stop me in my tracks, for lengthy staring, are often those with tension in the composition. Something about the ratios between parts is a little off of standard, enough to be surprising, enough to make me nervous.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

wisv1k
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2018 11:25 |  #21

I was a bit intrigued when I saw the wet plate stuff come across. Maybe just because it's really different and the process is an art form in itself

jimrob714
271 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 07, 2018 09:45 |  #22

I enjoy the light painting stuff, and not like using a flashlight to paint a building or other subject (although that's pretty awesome too). I'm talking about the guys who construct a whole scene using led wands and other light sources. I've dabbled a little, but my stuff looks like child's play compared to what they're doing.

Visit my flickr (external link)and Smugmug (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,213 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 07, 2018 16:57 |  #23

Good photography. This is very broad and highly subjective, but I’ve seen great wedding photographs of folks I don’t know. Yes, there’s a general “style” that I’m drawn to, that being photos that center around humanity in a fairly straightforward manner. However, any compelling and creative use of lines, balance (or unbalance if intended), composition, contrast, tonality, movement, lighting, and such can bring any subject matter to my attention.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

mark48
906 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 14, 2018 20:40 |  #24

Guess I'm just goofy but I like some selective color shots if done right.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,885 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 15, 2018 00:24 |  #25

I'm really into aviation photography, especially aircraft in flight. I enjoy viewing aviation photos from other photographers, and when I see one that has great composition or a sense of drama then it grabs my attention.

Cityscapes of major cities (especially at night) also light my fire.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Savethemoment
476 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 15, 2018 07:04 |  #26

Stunning landscapes, interesting compositions regardless of subject matter.

Photos of people in beautiful light, as inspiration for what I’d like to achieve.

Anything which demonstrates the skillful use of very wide angle lenses..

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Savethemoment
476 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 15, 2018 07:05 |  #27

Oh and also, amazing ultra-macro shots - mainly of bugs and taken with the MPE 65.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2018 14:07 |  #28

This thread sure went off the rails in a hurry. I like landscapes, but I've seen a few jillion of them. What will grab me is a semi-abstract shot of something recognizable in the landscape area, not purely abstract, but partly so.

Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,446 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2018 14:23 |  #29

patrick j wrote in post #18547404 (external link)
This thread sure went off the rails in a hurry.

You are so right. . Everybody started saying what kind of photography they like, instead of what grabs their attention.

I like how you didn't do that, but made a clear distinction between the two:

patrick j wrote in post #18547404 (external link)
This thread sure went off the rails in a hurry. I like landscapes, but I've seen a few jillion of them. What will grab me is a semi-abstract shot of something recognizable in the landscape area, not purely abstract, but partly so.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 9 months ago by DaviSto.

Jan 23, 2018 16:50 |  #30

The thing that will most grab my attention will always be something to do with the subject matter.

Photography is at its most powerful when it documents the reality of the world we live in. So it's photojournalism for me .. and it's the subject matter that will grab my attention ... not the artistry of the shot, the IQ, the intention of the photographer, nor the effort and organisation that went into making it.

For what it is worth, a black and white PJ image is more likely to grab my attention than a colour photo ... something to do with the way monochrome strips images down to just the essentials.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

5,080 views & 21 likes for this thread
What types of photography grabs your attention?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.