Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 15:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pavasars

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,901 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 07, 2018 15:20 |  #1

Leader of a punk band. They're celebrating 20 year anniversary next month.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

sponsored links
mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,760 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 07, 2018 17:45 |  #2

i'm getting a lot of artifacts his right ear, looks like you tried to burn it down but not enough. i also think there is too much dead space on the right side. maybe put the dead space on the left?

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 07, 2018 18:31 |  #3

No artifacts anywhere viewed on my 4k screen. I think this is a very fine shot. It nails focus, and seems very sharp ... for whatever that matters.

I am totally with you on positioning the subject to the left of the frame. The direction of his gaze makes that the natural thing to do. That said, I think there is probably too much 'negative space' (is that the right term?) to the RHS of the image (as we view it).

So, in summary, I like what you are doing here but I would like it more if you did it a little bit less.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,901 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 08, 2018 01:38 |  #4

Damn. I checked as well and saw no artifacts. I even did not darken there...

IN FACT...

FUNNY EFFFING STORY!

I shot the guys two and a half hours and only in last minute noticed, that I am shooting only JPEGS. Thank our father below I needed BW in the end [previews were in BW and if needed result would be in color, I would be soooo screwed] and used lights spot on without relying much on post for recovering shadows, as I sometimes do. Also it was rented camera and I hadn't really harsh BW preview jpeg profile set, so now, if I need someting to pull up, I can. But.... f***... :D

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2018 01:55 |  #5

Wonderful portrait - classic use of chiaroscuro photography.

I do not see any artifacts at all. They simply do not exist there.

I really like the bulk of the negative space being on the right - away from the direction the subject is facing. . To have this space on the left - with him facing toward the large space - would be boring, because that is what everyone does. . Having the subject looking out of the frame, instead of into the frame, adds a bit of tension and uniqueness. . It is refreshing to see an image that does not just copy the norm.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ramon-uk
617 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 08, 2018 07:19 |  #6

Excellent shot, great composition.
I can't see any artefacts on his right ear probably because it's not even visible, I can't see any on his left ear either.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2018 10:31 |  #7

The light is good!
20 years of punk and looking this good?
Head cut off, de-centering and weird aspect ratio. Very punkish! But not for easy prints, posting on FB and else. Instagram will make it square and cut head even more :).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,329 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2018 10:37 |  #8

No artifacts.....dead space works great.

Great picture.

Where the heck ya been, Osh? You don't come round much any more. Miss your posts.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,901 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 08, 2018 17:51 |  #9

Ehhhh... Kid takes time and resources. Time in a sense, that I just forgot how to search for clients. Resources - since I have to rent the camera and glass now [I cannot actually shoot with my 7D, since I tried to work on regular basis with FF and nice and fast lenses], I just cannot afford it even if that would be just a hundred monies :] When you switch to FF you do understand, how much BS is in all those videos and articles that say, that it's not important and you just need a corn field and dead baseball players... hahah :D I want to create good images and now I effing need FF for them.

So yeah.

But, by the way - I cannot say you guys are posting here often as well. Granted, I don't visit all subforums here.

AAAAANYWAYS

Here's their new drummer. Hipsterish look, but drumming is good :]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Olafs Osh

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,033 posts
Gallery: 1556 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2018 23:00 |  #10

Thease are good! you shoukd try to get some of Duran Duran, your skills would look great on them.

P.

Some stuff.

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,901 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 13, 2018 03:39 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #11

Thanks.

Just called one of the Durans - we meet up un Monday :]

- Olafs Osh

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2018 08:36 |  #12

I just get it! You kept so much black to allow to insert some pankish statement on the right.
https://www.brainyquot​e.com/topics/punk (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

olafs ­ osh
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,901 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 18, 2018 12:11 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #13

My thoughts about posting quotes are summed up perfectly in this quote, which I will post here:

IMAGE: https://pics.onsizzle.com/mmmhhh-mmmhhh-mmmhhh-paulo-coelho-27150814.png

- Olafs Osh

sponsored links

1,304 views & 19 likes for this thread
Pavasars
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.