Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gray cards / White Balance

dhornick
649 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 09, 2018 11:20 |  #1

Question about Gray cards / White Balance setting.

If I use a Gray card to set my white balance in a room with, for the sake of example, 3 tungsten lamps, a normal indoor living room area, how long does this setting stay applied in my camera? Until the power is switched off or even if I turn off and then a week later shoot outside is this setting still applied?

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,095 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2018 12:01 |  #2

dhornick wrote in post #18537107 (external link)

If I use a Gray card to set my white balance in a room with, for the sake of example, 3 tungsten lamps, a normal indoor living room area, how long does this setting stay applied in my camera? Until the power is switched off or even if I turn off and then a week later shoot outside is this setting still applied?

Once you set your camera to custom WB, it'll stay there, just as if you dialed it to sunlight or cloudy.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2018 12:23 |  #3

dhornick wrote in post #18537107 (external link)

Yes.

Once you tell your camera to do something, it will keep doing it until you tell it to do something else.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

philbyuk
804 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by philbyuk.

Jan 09, 2018 12:26 |  #4

'Yes. Once you tell your camera to do something, it will keep doing it until you tell it to do something else.'

I wish the wife would do the same ^^

My Gear

flickr (external link)
My 365 '2018' (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2018 12:54 |  #5

Once you set your camera to custom WB, it won't change. Unless you delete your target image or change the setting.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,612 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 09, 2018 22:32 |  #6

philbyuk wrote in post #18537167 (external link)
'Yes. Once you tell your camera to do something, it will keep doing it until you tell it to do something else.'

I wish the wife would do the same ^^

I hear Rosie has been looking for a job. Not sure how you get a hold of George, though. :)

Tom

sponsored links

887 views & 4 likes for this thread
Gray cards / White Balance
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.