Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Jan 2018 (Friday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I am so p1ssed

KeithS
242 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 05, 2018 21:27 |  #1

Operating System: W 10

Exact Lightroom Version: LR6 and LR Classic CC

I bought the subscription. Let it create the new catalog, .lrcat2, based on my LR6 catalog. The LR6 catalog was clean, with no missing files or folders. CC catalog has many missing files and folders, some of which I have not been able to find and fix. I have tried opening my last backups from LR6 in an effort to fix CC, but they won't open. Now, my latest attempt to open CC has all photos missing.

One of the reasons to go to subscription was to be able to import more easily my iPhone photos utilizing Mobile without having to jump through the Apple hoops of using iTunes. Mobile seems to upload to "cloud', but LRCC appears to not have a way to download to the PC. Adobe help directs to a sales page.

I have not yet deleted and reloaded the subscription in an attempt to fix. At least I have multiple backups from before I attempted this fiasco. Worst case, I could delete the CC and stay with LR6.

Any suggestions which don't involve a shotgun?

sponsored links
Justin ­ Time
93 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Jan 06, 2018 00:55 |  #2

I am not sure if you are using LR CC or LR Classic CC. The way Adobe names them create confusion. You get both products with the subscription, together with Photoshop.
If you are trying to import your existing catalog from a desktop computer, you should use Classic CC.
CC does indeed upload to the cloud and it is meant to be used with mobile devices, when a computer is not available (for example editorial news photo to send immediately to a newspaper).
It is possible then to import the files to the catalog from the cloud using Classic CC.
Apart from the circumstances above,only Classic CC should be used for a desktop workflow

drmaxx
919 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 06, 2018 04:22 |  #3

https://www.urbandicti​onary.com/define.php?t​erm=pissed (external link)
'pissed'
1) To be extremely angry
2) To be heavily intoxicated with alcohol to the point of not knowing where you are.

Which one are you referring to?:-)

Donate if you love POTN

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,524 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by kirkt.

Jan 06, 2018 09:13 |  #4

You backed up your LR6 catalog before updating it ... right? Can you open the backup from LR6 and carry on in LR6 business as usual? At least you know your original starting point is intact.

As far as transitioning over to LR CC Classic, have you tried Exporting the Catalog from LR6 and then importing the catalog into LR CC Classic? Maybe this more explicit method will make the problem more obvious if it fails, or maybe it will help with the conversion.

Full disclosure: I do not use LR, so I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Good luck,

kirk

Kirk
---

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2018 09:19 |  #5

To work with Lr Classic CC and the mobile Lr apps on your device you have to go to preferences in Lr CCC and connect it to your online account on the Lightroom sync tab.

Once you have done that you will then have options to say where the images from your mobile Lr apps should be imported. I just have it import to the same folder structure that I normally use for images downloaded from cards from my DSLR.

If you want to have access to images from your desktop you need to create a Collection, and set it to sync. You can chose to sync any collection, other than smart collection.

Sorry not a OSX user, so not really sure why Lr would not be able to your existing images, if you haven't physically moved them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 06, 2018 17:02 |  #6

Just use Apple Photos to import photos from your phone, no need to use itunes.

Gear
Website (external link)

KeithS
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 06, 2018 17:18 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #7

More frustrated than angry.

KeithS
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 06, 2018 17:25 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #8

Yes, and yes. I'm going to stop for a while and determine what the correct procedure is. I need for V. Bampton to publish her next Missing FAQ book.

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 5 months ago by Sideshot.

Jan 08, 2018 09:10 |  #9

Sounds like your catalog is out of wack. Hopefully.. you still have your files like they were local.

If you are using the local version you should still have your file folder(hopefully with all the files). the "catalog" is just a separate file with in your files that organizes them in LR. You can delete the "catalog" file and just make a new one and your files are still there in the folder.

Back up. Always Back up. Personally I do not trust "cloud" back up. only as a second form.

KeithS
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 10, 2018 12:00 |  #10

Update:

At another's suggestion, I deleted all catalogs created since I purchased Classic CC (Jan 2). I then collapsed the folder tree in LR6 so only 2 top tier folders showed (One top folder was suggested, but two top level folders for LR is the way I have my structure). I closed LR6 and allowed it to back up the catalog.

I then opened Classic CC, selected the LR6 catalog as a new catalog, and let the program do its upgrade. Every thing now seems to be as it should be in Classic. Evidently some have had issues trying to convert a catalog which had been saved with LR showing an expanded folder tree.

Not quite so p1ssed, now.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,524 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 10, 2018 13:23 as a reply to  @ KeithS's post |  #11

I'd be pretty pissed if the success of my critical image processing software's backup and import depended on whether or not the folder tree view was expanded in the application. How can that possibly affect the process?

Well, glad you got it sorted out.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

2,352 views & 1 like for this thread
I am so p1ssed
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.